View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Valknut 

How many of you wear or have the Valknut tattooed on you? I find it very aesthetically pleasing and the meaning behind it is intense. I was considering a charm or amulet but the risk of violent death, chaos, insanity--do you believe that metaphorically or literally?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Personally, I believe that if a person is not a warrior and/or given themselves to Odin as an Einjerar, what is the point? There are lots of pretty things with intense meanings a person can wear. Why not something that fits who they are instead of because it may seem cool?...but everyone has opinions on things.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:18 am

There are many symbols to wear or have tattooed that represent Odin and your commitment to the Old Ways. Each of them has a specific meaning and/or purpose. Each person chooses what they feel most comfortable with.

The Valknut, like the Sojourn, should not be taken lightly. It is the ultimate commitment to Odin. It is an unbreakable bond between you and the Alfather. When he calls you into battle, you must be ready to walk away from everything and enter into it. There is no room for hesitation or a change of mind.

Those of us who have made that commitment know that it is not only for this life but for always.

Storm

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 am

My spouse and I both have Valknut tattoos. He is a trained warrior, I was trained a diplomat.

Both of us could have easily died in the path of our employments and/or education.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:56 am

I ask mainly because I have been seeing it recently on social media worn by people who aren't Odinists or think it has a "fluffy" meaning such as "reincarnation and rebirth" but no mention of Odin.

I'm drawn to it, I'm just going to wait before I take on that responsibility.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 am

redskegg wrote:
I ask mainly because I have been seeing it recently on social media worn by people who aren't Odinists or think it has a "fluffy" meaning such as "reincarnation and rebirth" but no mention of Odin.

These people are fools but it is to be expected from the herd. I laugh at their ignorance.

Quote:
I'm drawn to it, I'm just going to wait before I take on that responsibility.

These are wise words. There is no rush. Knowledge leads to understanding.

Storm

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 am

I have my family crest tattooed onto my arm, in it's non-anglicized form. It fits me and my goals well. I feel that an individual should only get a tattoo of something that represents them accurately. I have seen many people wear valknuts without deserving to.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:01 am

It is rather difficult to pass judgement on the lives of others without knowing them well.

I would prefer one on a firefighter than the average military recruiter, for instance...but no one can tell if the recruiter might have been deployed once and the firefighter never set foot into a true situation of sacrifice.

It's not for us to judge who is/is not worthy. It is enough to know the Gods make that determination by who stays and grows in Odinic wisdom and who leaves these pathways entirely and those tattoos serve as a reminder of the past to be covered later.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 am

Just so you know: Here in the US, at least, military recruiters have that as a secondary job. It is just a tour of duty, basically Any job/MOS could go be a recruiter for a few years. A recruiter could be infantry, artillery, medic, cook, truck driver, etc. Same with drill Sgt's.
You could be Infantry and never set foot in an overseas battle, but still lose a leg. You could be a truck driver in the army and never have shot at anyone but had your truck riddled with bullets daily.
I think it's probably best not to judge anyone in the military to start with. If they are in the military and all they are is a paper-pusher. They are a paper-pushing warrior. They may get laughed at by the infantry (except on pay day), but they still joined the same military and still put their lives on the line.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:58 am

Also, Tyrienne, I do not speak of passing judgement on others blindly. These people that wear the Valknuts truly do not deserve to wear them. I have met two of which who wore them. One of which did so because he was into viking metal, as he puts it. He worked at a grocery store and a factory his entire life, and has no interest in the germanic gods. The second of which didn't even know what it was, and simply thought it looked cool.

I don't often see people around here wearing such symbols, being a small town, but I wouldn't judge them off the bat. On the contrary, I would be curious and attempt to find out the true meaning behind it.

My point stands that people need to, in themselves, determine if they are deserving of such symbolism.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:27 pm

If I see someone wearing one I assume it's a sign to talk to them, actually.

My health has been poor at times, the Gods usually see fit to give me at least a fellow Odinist in the waiting room of the ER- sometimes a fellow patient; but oftentimes the bored, veteran security guard.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 am

sacredhaven679 wrote:
Also, Tyrienne, I do not speak of passing judgement on others blindly. These people that wear the Valknuts truly do not deserve to wear them. I have met two of which who wore them. One of which did so because he was into viking metal, as he puts it. He worked at a grocery store and a factory his entire life, and has no interest in the germanic gods. The second of which didn't even know what it was, and simply thought it looked cool.

I don't often see people around here wearing such symbols, being a small town, but I wouldn't judge them off the bat. On the contrary, I would be curious and attempt to find out the true meaning behind it.

My point stands that people need to, in themselves, determine if they are deserving of such symbolism.

This is the exact kind of thing I meant in the OP.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:43 am

Hail to all of you,

At one point I seriously contemplated it. I was
going to take the oath and mark and have it
inked on me. However now that I am older I
have the responsibility of caring for my family
and children whenever they choose to arrive
in my life. I honor Odin as my greatest Grandfather.

However I cannot drop dead at any time if he
chooses to cast his spear to take me to prepare
for battle..

Bucky

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 am

You will die someday, most likely when you least expect it.... A car crash, falling down the stairs, heart attack, etc. A sudden death is already a likelihood. And such a death is, in my mind, better than wasting away in a nursing home while suffering with dementia and having a nurse change your diaper.

Besides, Odin's army will fight to protect the realms the place your family dwells. I would gladly make any sacrifice to defend my family.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Hail,

You make a great point. I know my own
fate and know I will live as an old man
to watch my future grandchildren grow
and thrive, to honor them with my stories
and gifts. I know at what age I will die. It
is when I'm old. I've died a few times
already in this lifetime, but have important
things I have yet to do..

This is one lifetime out of thousands..

Bucky

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:29 am

bucky wrote:
Hail,

Bucky

So you believe in reincarnation? How does it work with Odinism? I thought once we died we went to a hall or Hel. I always felt like maybe I am supposed to return in another life to continue honoring the Gods and helping spread the message of the old ways; helping to destroy the desert god's power. I believe that all the christians and muslims, any desert god worshiper feeds him with their fear. It will take more than one life to overcome the enslaving grip on humanity.

But then I fear in the next life, how can I be certain I will hear Odin's call again? This life the odds were certainly stacked against me as a child of a very christian family and I was "saved" at the age of 18. Within 7 years I broke away and found Odinism and have renounced any former gods and made an oath to Odinism, the Aesir and Vanir, hail!

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:29 pm

bucky wrote:
Hail,

Bucky

Another old soul ... there are actually not too many of us. I too have died in this lifetime and know that I have yet to fulfill the wishes of the gods. I believe it is to provide a sanctuary, a safe haven - yet to be worked out ...

This is but one lifetime in thousands Bucky and each is one to learn and to honour the gods. Storm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Hail to my Brothers & Sisters of Allfathers Bloodline's,

My view of reincarnation: I am an Old soul. I am my
family's Shaman. I reincarnate through my own blood
line as most of us do. I am my own great grandfather
through many generations back. I am the caretaker of
my bloodline's Family Tree. I honor my family, I take
care of them whether they know of it or not. Myself,
I reincarnate to insure my family blossoms to their
full potential individually and too right wrongs.

I have honored the Gods since ancient times. In this
life I am born with a deformity on one of my eyes as
a funny clue to my Berzerkergangr gifts.

I am as old as time. From my understanding, Allfather
at one point in time, came to Earth during one of His
wanders and shared his gift with one of my great
grandmothers. When exactly? I don't know. But She
gave birth to a grandfather that continued the work.
My Odinic gifts and abilities seem strongest in me among
my family.

I take care of them. Generation after generation. I have
died in the name of Odin. I have died being burned alive
on a stake for refusing to deny what I know in previous
lives. I am good with the Gods. When I was killed I met
Allfather and he is the reason I am alive today in this life.

Scroll through my posts and you will see I have lived the
life of a warrior adventurer. I am now happy and content
to become a Father and Grandfather within this lifetime.
My stories and lessons must spread to my future offspring
to ensure they are not oppressed or killed by the reign
of the Christian society.

This is my purpose for this time around. I will be a man of
Odin again in next life, and life after that. It's how things
work. For me at least.

Hope this helps.

Bucky

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm

redskegg wrote:
bucky wrote:
Hail,

Bucky

Reincarnation is also an idea among the Urglaawe as an option for after life. Like Bucky, it is believed we have the ability to reincarnate back into our own bloodlines. Much speculation occurs when a new child is born whose soul it might be returning.

Less so in recent times, but twenty years ago when more elders lived it was discussed more openly in my family, but now it is more openly discussed in general in the Pennsylvania area of Odinists.

So you believe in reincarnation? How does it work with Odinism? I thought once we died we went to a hall or Hel. I always felt like maybe I am supposed to return in another life to continue honoring the Gods and helping spread the message of the old ways; helping to destroy the desert god's power. I believe that all the christians and muslims, any desert god worshiper feeds him with their fear. It will take more than one life to overcome the enslaving grip on humanity.

But then I fear in the next life, how can I be certain I will hear Odin's call again? This life the odds were certainly stacked against me as a child of a very christian family and I was "saved" at the age of 18. Within 7 years I broke away and found Odinism and have renounced any former gods and made an oath to Odinism, the Aesir and Vanir, hail!

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Hail,

To be specific about reincarnation and
guessing who may have come back.. My
wife is one of my ancestors that died
when I was a young child. Wyrd as it
is she also named after a Valkyrie and
her Father is creepily similiar to me in
alot of ways.. haha

The Norns weave very well.. I was
born a Christian, started questioning
it at age 16.. At age 20 I died and