View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Slavic Gods 

What are your views upon them?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Depends on what you define as "Slavic". The Latvian/Lithuanian Gods have direct correlation with most of the Aes and Vane.
Any country below Lithuania, I am ignorant.

But this is what I know:

Dievs: Gunningunap
Perkuns: Thor
Janis: Frey
Mara: Holle
Sunna- Saule
Meness-Mani
Meza-Virs- Fenrir
Zalsti-Jormangandr
Vilinus- Odin

And all Lettish believe each species of plant and animal has its own Dieva (Demi-God/ Vaetirr/Wight) that respects are paid. The more interesting animals on your land- the greater the blessings. Snakes, wolves, and horses have special significance and there are two Gods of horses, Martins and Usins.

My sources are my grandmother and this link: http://www.meta-religion.com/World_Reli ... lPTDHarSM8

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:02 am
Site Admin

All Indo-European people--Scandinavians, Celts, Slavs, Greeks, etc--share the same pantheon, but the Norse preserved the lore in its purist form.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:45 pm

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
All Indo-European people--Scandinavians, Celts, Slavs, Greeks, etc--share the same pantheon, but the Norse preserved the lore in its purist form.

Undisputed. The other cultures had to "hide" the names of many of their traditions behind Christian-friendly terms.

"Frey" didn't become "Janis" until Christianity encroached..."Janis" is the Latvian word for "John" and they converted all holidays to Frey, keeping the traditions intact, into the name of St. John/Janis.

...which is amusing considering Janis' symbol is an erect phallus.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]