View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Animal Sacrifice? 

I'm new to the forum and very curious about learning more about the Norse faith. Do any of yall perform animal sacrifices? I don't want to offend anyone, I'm just curious to see how some of yall practice.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:46 pm

The closest I come to animal sacrifice is that I'm a hunter and when I make a kill I make an offering of the heart and liver (which I would very gladly eat myself as they are delicacies) as thanks. I also leave the gut pile as a gift of friendship to the scavengers.

Animal sacrifice is an old custom from a time when animals were a unit of wealth and giving them to the gods meant you were actually giving up something important. Although everybody is free to worship as they see fit , the Odin Brotherhood advocates sacrificing of yourself - the giving of your time and your energies.

My personal opinion is that if you're going to sacrifice an animal to the gods it should be done as part of a feast/meal in honor of the God(s) or Goddess(es). Although there are a few exceptions, killing an animal for no other reason than ceremony is a dishonorable act and a warning sign of possible sadistic tendencies. Again, that's just my personal opinion.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:28 pm

In what ways would you say a man can sacrifice himself by giving up his time and energies?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:28 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
In what ways would you say a man can sacrifice himself by giving up his time and energies?

By self-improvement that benefits one's family, tribe, and community. You are a weapon of the Gods, hone yourself and do the work they ask of you.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks Tyrsman! I think I understand now.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]