View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Interesting link from NatGeo 

Hail my Brothers,

I'm back again to share this interesting link. Apparently a viking burial mound's occupant was discovered to have been a woman, and this is taking the archaeological world by storm. Not sure if any of you had seen this yet, but I thought it might be nice to share here.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... ology-spd/

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Yes, I did see this and no it doesn't surprise me. His-story has always been written by the dominant male in our society (as was the aim of the christian church since inception - women were deemed unpredictable, powerful and too hard to control), ergo perhaps history also has been written with substitutions - with exceptions of course i.e. Boudica.

However it is good that you have shared this here as we have long believed that women are equals in every way. Stormr

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Interesting find. The tendency in the media is to portray all followers of folkish creeds as semi-literate wife abusers.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Yes, I did see this and no it doesn't surprise me. His-story has always been written by the dominant male in our society (as was the aim of the christian church since inception - women were deemed unpredictable, powerful and too hard to control), ergo perhaps history also has been written with substitutions - with exceptions of course i.e. Boudica.

However it is good that you have shared this here as we have long believed that women are equals in every way. Stormr

I hope you mean equal as in rights, and not literally equal. Women cannot compete with men physically-let alone on the bloody battlefields. I'm sure there were some odd exceptions throughout history though, like there are exceptions with everything. But women do not belong in war, except to cheer the men on; like Boudica, Joan of Arc, the nurses of WW1 etc
I'm all for equal respect and that, but women and men are not the same.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:16 pm

It depends what angle you take. Female police officers do alright. Even in hand to hand combat, they can still win against a man if they use pressure points.

But in the Olympics, they don't have women compete directly against men in events like fencing or martial arts. That may have something to do with our society's sensibilities, though. Spectators don't really want to watch men and women punching or stabbing each other very much.

Even in the US military, the main problem women face is that the current military doctrine is focused on carrying the most possible bullets. That's the main reason the US military uses 5.56 mm rounds instead of 7.62 like the Soviets did. Each round is lighter and that gives them more shots so they can outlast their opponents in a fire fight, and then flank them or something when they start to run low.

But that makes it a game of who can carry the most weight. Women certainly lose that game.

But is that the only battle doctrine that can win a war?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 pm

It's not just about carrying more weight 8j, more like staying up for days on end, running for long periods of time, surviving on little food. Alot of women in the military have become infertile from all the strenuous activity too, the ones who have will actually agree that they can't compete with men.
Now imagine in 900ad, a woman physically fighting a war seasoned male with a sword and shield...no way would she have much of a chance.
I've done some sparring in the ring with women, who were really good at kickboxing technique and that... But the difference in strength was really surprising.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 pm

Yeah. There is a pronounced difference in strength and running stamina.

I remember my freshman year doing track distance running. I started the season a couple of weeks late and I was out of shape. On the first day there was this girl who was pacing against me, trying to outrun me and I trying to outrun her, and neither of us could quite out do the other. By the second week of practice I was back in shape and could outrun her ( I was about the middle ranked of the freshmen boys) Anyway: I later found out she was the girls' state champion.

And in ancient times, even the archers had to be strong, to pull back military grade draw strings. So there wouldn't be much for a weak person to do on a battlefield.

On the other hand: consider how puny Roman soldiers were compared with Celts. But the Romans somehow managed to win.

Smaller people sometimes find ways to level the playing field. But it's hard to test in our society, because men and women are typically reluctant to hit each other full strength.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 am

It's not just about size though, it's the genetics. The Bone structure, density, tendon strength, neural circuits, hormones and all these other variables.
Whether it's XX or XY, that second chromosome determines alot in our species.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 am

8-j wrote:
Yeah. There is a pronounced difference in strength and running stamina.

I remember my freshman year doing track distance running. I started the season a couple of weeks late and I was out of shape. On the first day there was this girl who was pacing against me, trying to outrun me and I trying to outrun her, and neither of us could quite out do the other. By the second week of practice I was back in shape and could outrun her ( I was about the middle ranked of the freshmen boys) Anyway: I later found out she was the girls' state champion.

And in ancient times, even the archers had to be strong, to pull back military grade draw strings. So there wouldn't be much for a weak person to do on a battlefield.

On the other hand: consider how puny Roman soldiers were compared with Celts. But the Romans somehow managed to win.

Smaller people sometimes find ways to level the playing field. But it's hard to test in our society, because men and women are typically reluctant to hit each other full strength.

I see you never met my sister.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:48 am

As a woman, I have to agree that men and women are different. The problem I see is women trying so hard to compare themselves to men and be equal in what men excel at. When they fail, they (let's just say feminists) would rather see the bar dropped than to admit that they are trying to compete in something that men are inherently good at. What women should be doing is focusing on what makes us unique. Don't we have enough of our own strengths and qualities not to have to try to be like men?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Fand wrote:
As a woman, I have to agree that men and women are different. The problem I see is women trying so hard to compare themselves to men and be equal in what men excel at. When they fail, they (let's just say feminists) would rather see the bar dropped than to admit that they are trying to compete in something that men are inherently good at. What women should be doing is focusing on what makes us unique. Don't we have enough of our own strengths and qualities not to have to try to be like men?

Well put. We live in an age of confusion. I recall reading a remark from Dustin Hoffman that he "felt cheated" he could not become pregnant.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 am

Fand wrote:

Agreed. There is more to life that physical prowess or grunt. Whilst it is known that women can be volatile with emotions, harnessed these become very powerful and excellent tools. Men and women have good mental agility but they differ - women are more intuitive and can foresee future issues more clearly whereas men are more pragmatic and deal with the current situation. Stormr

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 am

Yes. Women need to play to their strengths. Some of the best snipers in modern warfare are women. If you ever read a book called "men who stare at goats", it goes into a lot of detail about the psychological training that is given to American soldiers. The main center of it was inspired by a guy who was in Vietnam, and witnessed a female sniper kill most of his platoon.

I talked to someone who owned a "paintball" arena. He said quite often when groups of girls play against groups of boys, the girls win. They're more patient, and don't shoot until they're sure they'll hit.

In general, women tend to be more disciplined than men, and more perceptive. They can endure more pain, but their bodies can't take nearly as much punishment. They get less of a boost from their adrenaline. Their muscles don't bulk up as much when they work out.

Men have a body for war, but women have a mind for war. The mind doesn't always lose to the body.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 am

Interesting... and it makes sense.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]