View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Music that touches your heart 

Just curious on those special pieces of music ... any kind of music, that have a special meaning to you. Whether you choose to explain it's meaning or not. It would be lovely if you did, but I totally respect your wishes to keep what is close to you, close to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGqYw77jQY

101 Strings Orchestra - Clair De Lune

My Danish Grandparents had this record. I loved to put it on. They had a large picture window. This window looked out to the West and a wheat field beyond their front lawn. Often, I would put this album on their record player. I have the 'most' fond memory of having this song play... and at one particular time, my Grandfather (Bedstefar) sat reclined, smoking his pipe, the smoke rose slowly, and as I listened to the music I observed this scene ... of him sitting, the smoke rising from his pipe, as if it had a life of it's own, curling and rising, and the wheat field out the picture window moving ever so slowly to the efforts of the wind in the background ... it's one of those life moments you don't forget :)

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 am

Beautiful! My dad used to listen to swing bands from his time in WWII and Korea, so I grew up on his old albums.

I don't know why but I love Russian polka. I have always been drawn to the Russian culture, even to the point I could speak with a perfectly fluent Russian accent when I was young. I'm still good at it but not like I was back then. I caused a lot of trouble in the 80's going around speaking like a Russian LOL.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Oh, by the way, Odinsdatter, I look forward to reading your contributions to the Art - Poetry section. Your descriptive writing is so beautiful.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Hey Skuld The Norn, ... wow, I bet your Dad has some stories to tell having been in both those wars. Did you enjoy listening to the big bands, too? Their music is so upbeat and fun. My parents/grandparents had some of them too and I really enjoyed the music. Don't sit under the apple tree ... Lillie Marlene ... Cliffs of Dover ... I loved all those too, I was a weird child, but I can embrace my weirdness happily now :)

That is so cool 'and' interesting regarding the Russian polka music, the culture and the accent ... especially if there's no Russian in your background, perhaps it has something to do with the blood memory. Speaking like a Russian in the 80's ... , yeaaaaaaah not so good, ... lol.

You're so kind, thank you Skuld The Norn ... I haven't ventured over there yet, but definitely will.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 am

There are a few that have this effect on me, one of my favorites amongst those are Princes Of The Universe by Queen possibly because Highlander has been my favorite movie since childhood and hey, I enjoyed my childhood.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:51 pm

music that touches my heart, that's a serious topic for me. music is really the only addiction i have. there is rarely one day when i don't listen to music, and if i don't, there's music that keeps going on in my head until i open my music player. i wanted to make music and i learned by myself(although i already knew some basics from a book) to play piano and blockflöte, but my father thought math was more important so, i didn't really had time to keep playing, and now i have other stuff in my mind.
i belive good music is that music that you keep listening years after you first heard it.
making me pick a song it's like making me choose fom my children.. you can't really go only with one type of music. you're constantly changing and always thirsty for new. second time, a song will not touch you the same way as it did on first.
also, song have various effects depending on the environment and circomstances you're in, age and way of thinking, sometimes, it may not be only the music, but rather the lyrics that trigers you, and countless other factors.
i can't answer you're question cause i have so many songs that i love and i can't choose, but i'll tell you my newest discoveries:
bathory - on rode to asa bay
tyr - hall of freedom (this song echoes in my head right now)

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 am

I have always been into instrumental stuff for some reason. Anything by the composer Hans Zimmer is amazing as well as Thomas Newman. I also like Wardruna (who doesn't) Syven and a band I found called Tenhi. Music is a great way to connect with the Gods and escape this world.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am

I should add Falkenbach to this almost every Falkenbach song, as I find most of them rather hypnotic and I can get lost in the music for hours on end easily

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:51 am

War'heri ...
'Princes Of The universe', very powerful song. Highlander had a big effect on me at the time, as well :-)

Kazimir Wulfric ...
I understand completely. I have a great love of a variety of music ... always had trouble with any questions to narrow it down. The only type of music I can say I never liked 'anything' I heard was jazz.

Berserker86 ...
Hans Zimmer is amazing, I too have a great fondness of his music. It's incredible when you search to see what all he has done. You may also like John Barry. He's done a lot of amazing soundtracks. The first I heard of him was Out of Africa's soundtrack, Gladiator, Dances with Wolves ... all wonderful.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 am

Odinsdatter wrote:
War'heri ...
'Princes Of The universe', very powerful song. Highlander had a big effect on me at the time, as well :-)

Kazimir Wulfric ...
I understand completely. I have a great love of a variety of music ... always had trouble with any questions to narrow it down. The only type of music I can say I never liked 'anything' I heard was jazz.

Berserker86 ...
Hans Zimmer is amazing, I too have a great fondness of his music. It's incredible when you search to see what all he has done. You may also like John Barry. He's done a lot of amazing soundtracks. The first I heard of him was Out of Africa's soundtrack, Gladiator, Dances with Wolves ... all wonderful.

I'm also not a big jazz fan it sounds like a bunch of drunks playing a load of completely random notes to me haha

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:37 am

War'heri wrote:

I'm also not a big jazz fan it sounds like a bunch of drunks playing a load of completely random notes to me haha

... I couldn't have put it better myself ;)

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]