View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Northern Folk Question... 

Are there any other Hednagarna, Garmana, or Wimme Fans here?

Or might I be the only Northern Folk fan!?

These are my favorite Northern Folk groups. If you are not familliar with these, I might suggest you take a look at the Noside Records link in our links section and check them out. Definitely not metal, but a primal music that comes up from the anscestral instruments and folk traditions of our ancestors. I also want to note that the modern use of electrifed instruments and arrangements are awesome!

I highly reccomend anyone who wants to get to the heart of our folk ways check these out. I imagine if our ancestors had rock and roll, this would be it!

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:11 am
Profile WWW

you might like clannad its more celtic folk some of its awful but they do alot of good stuff and also you may want to look on youtube at faun, egils saga its a music video telling egils saga abit of a modern twist to the music you may like it havent heard much else of what they do though

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:11 pm

I've recently aqcuired some Northern Folk music. I also enjoy Hednagarna. But my favorite is Krauka ;)

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:40 pm

I have not heard that one yet. Thanks for the tip! I will have to check it out. I Just ordered some Wimme and Garmana yesterday. The primal and ancient music brings a certain energy with it that talks to the spirit from within.

Last edited by Ravenwolf on Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:57 am
Profile WWW

I do like Clannad. I am looking for some Scot's / Irish Northern folk as well along lines of Hednigarna, and Garmana. Love the Pipes! I missed your post when I replied previously. Thanks for the tips on the Faun. I will check that out soon.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Are their any youtube sites you could put on the links page that sample the music you are discussing? They may useful to the less informed--such as myself....

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:19 pm

This is Krauka, some of their video clips are a bit excentric but they are good guys and they wear, often tho not always, traditional clothing:

Krauka - Sigurd (video clip is from a live steel combat reenactment group, so their fights are real be it with blunt weapons.)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=hgf1tA-SZkU

Krauka - Sælugaukur
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_73FiM9XNc

Krauka - Vølverne
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=WRIsh_fjTJs

And then there is Hedningarna:

Hedningarna - Höglorfen
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=49gz4u-TShs

For those who are intrested in reenactment here is a vid of the US chapter of the Jomsborg army, part of the Jomsvikings. The Jomsviking got a standing Viking army of 500 men with Elags or chapter all around the world. Training in the Jomsviking fighting system (recgonized martial art btw). No acting involved except for the death parts.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEyNAthnSY

Their website:
http://www.jomsvikings.com/training.php

I recently discovered this and thought some of you might find it intresting.

Greetings!

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 am

Incredible link Zegher on the Jomsvikings! I do believe you may have given me a new and exciting pastime! I have wondered if there were any such groups in America. I had belonged to the SCA, here as a Scots/Norse persona from the 11th Cent, but ran into too many wiccans and it was not quite what I was looking for. This could be it! AS to the Band: Krauka, I could not find any CDs on Amazon, or Noside Records. Where may I accquire these? I loved the You tube clips and music. AWESOME fighting video!

By the way, if you wish to sample Northern Folk, you may try going to the http://www.noside.com Northside records website and check out the samples there as well. Click on the artists and check out the individual albums, where samples and a few MP3 files can be heard for each. Thanks for the Hedningarna you tube link! Love it! Thor, if you have not heard this movement yet, you really need to check it out. I like to describe it as what it would be like if our ancestors had Rock and Roll, with their instruments plugged in, plus some of ours!

I am a metal head, but I am indeed a true fan of Northern Folk. Would love to catch a live show, but do not know if any of my favorites tour in the USA or not. Garmana, Can best be described as Gothic Northern Folk, in that their songs are on dark themes, such as my favorite one about a werewolf, and another about a woman whose lover is torn away by her 7 brothers to be hacked to death. The music though, is still medieval Folk / Metal combined like the others. AWESOME drums and powerful music. Folk Medieval Metal Rave music!

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:13 am
Profile WWW

I have found this webshop where you can buy the Krauka cd in America -> http://www.thevikingtrader.net/pages/ca ... tegoryID=6

That Northside website is intresting, I have bookmarked it and will be checking it out later, thanks!

I too like metal but folk has a special place in my heart. Well northern folk and Flemish folk that is.

One of my favorite Flemish metal songs with some folk trown in there is:

Ancient Rites - On Golden Fields (De Leeuwen Dansen, translation The Lions Dance)

It's about the victory of the Flemish army over the French knights in 1302 in the Battle of The Golden Spurs. The French meant to rule over us and treat us as slaves.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20ne8Px8cI

Anyways I'm just getting into reenactment myself and was recently invited to come talk to a group, nice experience sitting at a fire outside surrounded by Vikings. Fun stories, lot's of laughs and some beers.

I have some more reenactment videos should you be intrested:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=yho9_4yJeW8 (good song in this one)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZFNLmmNoI (it gets good at around 4:40, first part is about a guy portraing a monk and talking about wounds and stuff, intresting but not as intresting as the second part ;) )

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGJwchQrLc

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=u9o2m16W1Q4

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4q2ExY665eI

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTDcxzUtVk

And of course the biggest battle in the world, the battle of Hastings, 3000 people in 2006.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Emy1tyCSETI

Enjoy!

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 pm

I will be looking at these tonight if I can do so. The Battle of Hastings intrigues me being a descendant of William the Conqueror. You made my night last night with the first post and now these as well! I really like the feel of Krauka's music. Especially the song on the first battle vid you posted. Hearing it all day in my mind while at work!

Thanks again Brother for the great stuff!

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:22 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:25 am
Site Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:32 pm

thought id add afew links of my own personal taste some of you will probably try and give me an ear bashing as its quite an aqquired taste hehe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NEwwWmPXFFM saga is a lovely swedish girl alot of her stuff is folkish and based around odinism.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bOyQvwueONo see you in valhalla a personal favourite of mine more oi,punk etc alot of there stuff is odinist related and alot is racial as they are an NS band as is saga you may or may not like

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Personally speaking I'm not that fond of the racial stuff or NS, not just musically, tho I do admit I enjoy some songs of Saga.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:59 pm

In my youth i was quite the skinhead growing up in london which first got me into odinism although i have moved away from the scene now and the city but old habits die hard

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I used to listen to also used Punk when I was a teen. While I remain strongly political, I am considered by many of those I know to be ultra radically conservative. For myself, I can see no other way. I however am very obvioulsy not a Christian Conservative, which trends to alienate me from many of those on the right, as I am Odinist first, then political. Actually we may see that there is a strong need to stand on the rights of Odinists to practice the faith, and be recognized here in the USA.

In some areas, we are considered potential terrorists, and our rights to wear or have access to our spiritual counsel and materials denied, to imprisoned brothers and sisters of the faith. The FBI's Project Megiddo considers us a threat to the security of the United States and potential Terrorist group. Who are they kidding! Terrorism is for cowards and the weak who kill or rather mass murder innocents in the deluded belief of spiritual rightness. No true Odinist would ever support a terrorist attack . Let us not for one moment forget that being Folkish is not a crime. However, there are people here who would like to make it so. I am radically Folkish myself, but respect the right of otehrs to worhip their gods as they choose. I believe our gods choose their own.

Unlike in Europe, where our faith is recognized as ancestral, even the Military has not come on board with recognizing the right of our deceased brothers and sisters to have Thors Hammers, or Valknots on military graves, as are symbols of other faiths allowed to be added to military or veterans graves. I have not noted if this has changed. I also have not heard if the US Military recognizes our faith officially as of yet.

So, for protection of our ancestral faith, and in our ancestral lands, of our sacred sites, I believe one should be political and motived to secure our faith and folk. If that makes me radical, so be it. I have grown beyond the Punk days, but kept the political activism. Now I seek to help awaken others to the folk faith, and enhance my own walk with Odin.

By the way, Old Punks never Die, we just mature and age like fine wine my brother!

I do have a few issues with NS though spiritually. Hitler was not an Odinist, and thought those of our faith wasted our potential studying runes and the old ways. Himmler he thought was deluded, and an odd curiosity at best. Our symbols and beliefs were however strongly packaged, and resold to blindly call others to the whims of the power hungry. Karl Maria Wilgut who designed the Runes for the SS Ring, and was Himmlers Rune Master, was intrumental in constructing Wewelsberg Castle to house the Grail if found. Hitler thought Himmler wasted time looking for the Arryan roots in Tibet, and for the grail. If Hitler had been an Odinist, the history and reality of Europe would have been far different. Instead you may say he hijacked our faith.

When I was a teen, I did not know this... I however do now. The aims of the groups to awaken the folk or preserve the folk and faith are admirable, but I believe that those who walk the path of NS should also look to what the reality of the Folk faith was to the founder of NS before trying to blend the two. It would seem that most NS groups on the face seek to preserve the faith, only to empower thier leaders and groups aims first, at the exepnse of Odinism.

I would rather see an awakened Odinist movement that had at it's source the preservation of Odinism first and the spread of the faith second, than NS groups that seek to empower little Furhers ahead of Odinism. Hitler crafted well the images for propoganda to advance his own agendas, but sadly, never realized Odin and the folk faith. Perhaps if this was his motivation, I could see something different. Preservation of folk, and faith is no crime. But exploiting our ancestral symbols and faith to ones own psychophantic ends... that may be a different kettle of fish all together.

In the end, Odin is what is and should be the primary focus of any movement that arises, and our folk and faith should not yield that before anything else. I found in the movement many exploited for the whims of others, with the loss of Odin the final result. Bait and Switch. Perhaps it may be different in Europe, but Here, there were nothing but petty wannabe political figures hiding behind Odinist talk, to advance themselves, not the folk or faith. These are just my thoughts. I once wlaked that path strongly when young. I found instead Odin and the Folk faith as the real source of what was important. Again, preservation of the folk and faith is a virtue, but one should be aware of the weasles that walk among the folk to exploit it for their own ends, instead of to advance the our folk and faith.

Our folk and faith should always be first, but for the reason of Odin and our Gods and Goddesses, nothing else. If NS had been deigned to glorify Odin and the Folk Faith, instead of Hitler himself and his own agenda, we may have witnessed a far greater event in Europe than the tragedy we saw: The return of Europe to the Folk faith. We are however witnessing the return of the Folk Faith to the World in this generation. Perhaps oneday a great leader or movement will come forward to advance Odin and our faith, and this dream would be a reality. We ourselves my be that seed, planted Aeons ago on earth by Oin, to awaken in this day and age to bring the old ways of the folk to a modern age of warriors and lands. As our statues were smashed by Christians and our faith decimated, perhaps our age will witness the truist ressurection, that of a faith believed dead for 1000 years growing into modern incarnation that eclipses even the high point of our ancestors. Perhaps we will find in our lands, and others, Halls to honor Odin, Thor, and the Folk faith, with Holy men and women tending the fires and statues as in the days of old... All through our lands and beyond. That movement, would be one I would take up my arms and march into battle for, or stand and give myself to vallhalla for. Not a Petty Furher wannabe, who wants political power in the guise of Odinism.

Some may ask, how could this be possible? Or to what end would this be for? Simply, I believe nothing is impossible with our folk faith, and that the modern awakening we are witnessing IS that event starting to unfold. It may well be that this event may be the trigger of Ragnarok itself, or that the awakening we see now is soley to gather the warriors of Raganarok for that final battle. I believe the lore is not fable or myth, and the prophecies are not all parables. I believe they are true writtings and prophecies as they were recorded in ancient times. I also believe our generation of awakening Odinists are the true secret of the faith. Odin for saw the decimation of the folk and faith... we are his revenge... we are his plan for survival of the faith. That is why we are awakened in this time and age. That is why we are here at this time and place. It is the real reason we have been awakned.

All of that is what has been lost in the personal agendas of NS. It is why I see NS as wasted potential and misguidance of the folk. It is purley spiritual I believe this. All political thoughts aside, Odinism should be for Odin and the folk faith, and advance the folk in that light.

But I will still drink and slam dance with anyone. I also still have my laces! Instead I wear the Valknot now, and the symbol of my being, is that alone.

As to the music...

I rather liked the song Road to Valhalla by Saga that was posted. Who is the lead singer, and which album may I find that song on? I had noty heard of this group. I truly loved the video.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:49 am
Profile WWW

I could type an extended text now but it would be just a copy of what Ravenwolf wrote. In other words, I completly agree with you Ravenwolf.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Ravenwolf it'll be on Saga: My tribut to skrewdriver volume 1 or 2 or 3 worth looking at all of them as she does alot of similar stuff although some is abit punky aswell might be right up your street.

With Regards to NS firstly remember the victors always write history what you know or think you know may not be the case there are too many theories flying around and not enough fact to make a judement on what the German high command believed but if Hitler was not Odinist why were Odinist festivals celebrated across the nation why was Hitler a member of the Thule society, why were Runes and Odinist symbols used in every aspect of society, why were the SS taught the lore legends myths etc and the runes themselves, why did parades feature women on horse back dressed as valkyries and people symbolizing the gods ancient germanic warriors etc and why if Hitler disliked Himmlers enthusiasm for Odinism did he give so much funding for expeditions projects such as wewelsburg? I can go on and on with this list if you like?

And aside from any of that just because someone is NS doesent mean they idolize the german NS however they do firmly believe as part of their ideology in faith folk and family aswell as having a strong sense of community and for those of you who havent been involved in the movement, you will never make friends that are more loyal than in a place like that its one big happy family :lol: :lol:

Just for the record im not involved anymore although i do still have alot of friends i met from back in the day but all the nasty evil rumours you hear are mostly just that

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm

I had been involved years ago. Like yourself, i am not acvtive, but still have friends that are. I would agree with you on focus on family, anf folk. As to the paticualrs of Odinism and NS, as a German NS reality, image is everything. Propoganda, or exploitation in some cases. I would argue that of the entire organization of German High command, Himmler was the most intersted in Odinism.

In the American Incarnation, I would argue there is definitely a political exploitation and self empowering at the expense of our beliefs. I am rather militant in my beliefs, and I do agree with many of the social and philosophical points made by NS. Self preservation of the Folk and and faith are key to our survival and spread of our beliefs. On that point I would still have to agree.

I would not challange the fact that there are those who revere Odin in NS, or are dedicated to the folk and faith, but I would be weary of accepting Hitler as an Odinist. I would refer you to this article by the Asatru Folk Assembly:

http://varangiankindred.org/LEP/LEP4.htm

It was first published in 2001.

I will add it here:

Quote:
Copyright 2001 Asatru Folk Assembly
Asatru/Odinism: A Briefing for Law Enforcement Officials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hitlerism vs. Odinism
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to sell their product, cigarette commercials used to feature images of rugged cowboys riding on the plains. For menthol cigarettes, they chose scenes of bright spring days, with attractive couples enjoying the sunshine - and their smoke. Neither of these portrayals had much to do with smoking cigarettes, but the image sold tobacco, and that was the whole point.

Likewise, the symbol identified with Stalin's tyranny in Russia was the hammer and sickle - honest tools of laboring men for centuries. The mock trials and mass executions stood in stark contrast to the simple family life of the peasants who used the sickle, and yet the symbol remains forever embedded in the minds of men as one of evil.

So, too, Nazi Germany took sacred symbols of the ancient Germanic pre-Christian faith and used them to further its political ends. Consequently, those of us who today seek to revive our ancestral religion must face this confusing misuse of our holy imagery.

In order to understand this complex issue, we must examine the relationship between the Nazi state and the ancient faith, today called Asatru or Odinism.

Around the turn of the last century, people began questioning many of the then-accepted social and religious assumptions, and a bustle of intellectual and religious ideas invigorated society. New schools of philosophical and psychological thought were reflected in artistic and architectural innovation. Many people likewise sought inspiration in the distant past. Among these were men and women in Europe and elsewhere who sought to restore the ancient religions which had been displaced by Christianity.

These prospered, grew into large religious organizations, held ceremonies to the old gods, and published speculative, spiritual, and historical works and periodicals.

Nazism and Odinism/Asatru

As the Nazi Party gained power, it sought to tap into this religious revival. Hitler was a master propagandist and he sought to transform Odinist holy symbols into props for a petty nationalism and a tyrannical ideology. He did this hypocritically, for he himself had no interest in, or regard for, the ancient faith. Here, according to his closest advisors (Hitler's Table Talk, page 61, translated by Norman Cameron and R.H. Stevens, 1953) is what he had to say about the followers of the old Germanic deities, whose symbols he usurped:

"It seems to me that nothing would be more foolish than to re-establish the worship of Wotan [father of the gods in the German lore]. Our old mythology ceased to be viable when Christianity implanted itself. Nothing dies unless it is moribund."

In Chapter 12 of Mein Kampf, Hitler wrote:

"The characteristic thing about these people [modern-day followers of the early Germanic religion] is that they rave about the old Germanic heroism, about dim prehistory, stone axes, spear and shield, but in reality are the greatest cowards that can be imagined. For the same people who brandish scholarly imitations of old German tin swords, and wear a dressed bearskin with bull's horns over their heads, preach for the present nothing but struggle with spiritual weapons, and run away as fast as they can from every Communist blackjack."

Hitler and other Nazis were explicit in their contempt of the ancient gods. Alfred Rosenberg exclaimed, "Odin is dead!". And Hitler himself declared that the future "must not take the form of a revival of the worship of Wotan."

Baldur von Schirach, leader of the Hitler Youth, assured German parents that "it is my purpose neither to re-erect in the forests of Germany Odinist altars and introduce our youth to any kind of Wotan's cult, nor in any way to hand over young Germany to the magical altars of the herb-apostles..."

Nazism and Christianity

Contrast these remarks with what Hitler, and his Party, had to say about Christianity and his interpretation of Christ:

In Mein Kampf, he wrote:

"And so I believe to-day that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. In standing guard against the Jew I am defending the handiwork of the Lord."

The Nazi Party program said, "The party as such, stands for positive Christianity but does not bind itself in the matter of creed to any particular confession."

In one speech, Hitler commented "The Government sees in both Christian confessions [Catholicism and Protestantism] the most important factors for the maintenance of our folkdom."

Soon after coming to power in 1933, he proclaimed, "The Reich government sees in Christianity the unshakable foundation of the ethics and morality of the folk."

This should have come as no surprise, for as early as 1922 Hitler said, "My feelings as a Christian point me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter...As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice...For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

Across his 26-year political career, Hitler's religious stance was repeated time and time again. He did not think of himself as one who followed the old gods, but as a Christian.

None of this, of course, means that Christianity is responsible for the Third Reich. Nazism was an ideology unto itself, which justified its actions with Christianity and with misappropriated symbols of the pre-Christian faith.

Persecution of Odinists under Nazism

Just as the peasants who used the sickle in their fields were victimized by Stalin's henchmen bearing the hammer and sickle flag - millions dying in the Ukraine alone - so did those who held to Odinist beliefs suffer from Hitler's rule. An article in a 1995 issue of the Australian Odinist magazine Renewal gave some of the background of what happened to them:

"From the beginning of the Third Reich, Odinists were persecuted. In 1933, Rudolf von Sebottendorff was arrested and exiled. The works of Odinist writers such as Lanz von Liebenfels, Ernst Issberner-Haldane and Reinhold Ebertin were banned. Former membership of an Odinist congregation disqualified anyone from holding rank or office within the NSDAP [Nazi Party]. Things quickly became worse. In 1936 Friedrich Marby, a runemaster and follower of [ Wotan worshipper Guido] von List, was arrested and sent to a camp at Flossenberg; he was released from Dachau in 1945. He was not alone. But the full power of the state was not focused on religious minorities until the 9th of June 1941 when the head of the security police, [Reinhardt] Heydrich, banned a large number of spiritual practices. Among the victims were followers of Rudolf Steiner, followers of von List, and traditional Odinists. Their organizations were dissolved, their property confiscated, and many of their leaders arrested."

There should be no mistaking the fundamental conflicts between Nazism and Asatru/Odinism. Hitler's words and actions demonstrated that he understood these contradictions very well!

Considering Hitler's involvent in the Thule we can look at Occultic imagery and connections to his use of symbolism, and the rise of his cult of personality. I would still not consider him an Odinist. I would consider him Odinist inspired. I would of course be noted he was raised Catholic, and there were connections to his image with the concept of the comming of a Messiah as well.

I do agree that victors write the history. I would not discount the reality of NS Deutchland as not a part of our heritage, past, or reality of the present, but as noted in America at least, only saw the reality of Little Hitler wannabes, who considered Odin more of a myth. I also saw far more who were involved in the Aryan Nations, or Christian Identity groups who followed the concept of the "White Christ" movement.

I prefer nothing Christian as my motivations. I am an Odinist.

I accept my allies where ever they are. I admire those who stand for teh folk and faith no matter from what perspective. I just did not see the rise of true Odinist in the movement. I do know there are newer groups on the rise here however that are 'Wotanists" or 'Odlaists" that are more aligned with NS.

I would argue that Guido Von List, was by far the better Rune Master than Karl Maria Wilgut. Himmler was more inspired by Wilgut than the older tradtionalists.

Hitler also it must be remembered later purged Occultists.

The motivations of the imagery were I woudl argue nothing more than mass propoganda to delude the masses into accepting the spiritual basis of the movement. Veiled uses of the Occult lodge traditions, and teachings of the the Theosophists as well. I would argue that for instance in the Triumph the Will, one of my favorite movies, the use of the Church scene at the end was not to show the conquering of the Odinism over Christinanity, but the comming of a messiah in the christian sense the aryan man to deliver Germany from the hands of all those insitituions that had kept it down. The glorified messiah come to deliver the people out of the bondage of the church and all forms of slavery to spiritualism, Odinic or otherwise, and the comming of the NSDAP as the new religion, a state religion with Hitler as the messiah.

More christian imagery than Odinic.

The great festivals are indeed inspired by old tradtions. The Nuremberg Rally was incredible in that imagery, but I would ask you to show me one single speech where Hitler outilined the goal of NSDAP to return Germany to Odin, and bring the people back to teh anceint Gods and Goddesses. I have only seen it mentioned that he looked down on Odinists, and there has to my knowledge never been an outlined goal or speech that set forth the motivation of the NSDAP to Odin, or the return to the Folk Faith.

I have seen many that Glorify the NSDAP and Hitler alone. The very movie triumph of the will was more about the the will of Hitler moving the people to NSDAP and altering history by reviving the German Empire from the ruins of WWI.

Other than Imagery, I can find nothing that points to the Odinist realtiy of the NSDAP. The imagery provided a catalyst for the movement, and a means of drawing the current revialist movement into the fold.

I would only point to Himmler as the single foremost traditional folk faith inspired member of the High Command. It would be assinine not to see that, or the imagery used by the propogandists as Odinic Inspired. I would argue only propoganda motivated the use. The rituals of SS were inspired by old rituals and folk faith or Occult lodge symbolisims, but no where have I read of a single ritual or speech outlining a return to the folk faith, or Odin.

I am enjoying this dialoge with you. If you wish we may continue it, as I am sure others would benefit or enjoy reading it. I would be willing to be shown speeches or wrttings that point directly to the movement having as a goal the return of the people to Odin, and the Folk faith to be revived in Europe, placing Hitler only as a spokesman, the the arryan messiah / God returned. Every aspect of American NSDAP sets up Hitler as a God of sorts to deliver the masses from ignorance, and the tyranny of Non Germanic peoples and faiths. Not once do I find Hitler doing or saying anything to place Odin and the folk faith ahead of himself and his idolation.

If Hitler had been an Odinist, I would have expected to see halls dedicated to Odin and the old gods rising up all over Germany, and mass ceremonies dedicated to Odn and the Folk Gods, instead of theGlory of Hitler and the NSDAP.

Sadly, I believe Hitler failed to accomplish any great triumphs, and was defeated solely due to that fact alone. His hall mark of history will note only the failed rise of the 3rd riech, and not the 1000 year reich he for saw. If the movement was based on Odinism, it might have succeded.

Either way, no one can argue that Hitler is not note worthy of citing as the most single influencial person to effect the history of the 20th Century. The stunning rise of Germany out of Ashes to a super power, and the resulting war that followed will be noted as the greatest war of that century, and the rise of Hitler as the most noted rise of a nation from the ashes of utter defeat. That speaks volumes to his credit, but the end result of the decimation of Germany, and the single bullet that neded his life will be the foot note, all other notes aside.

The newer movements I see are walking away from the Hitler dieific modes, and advancing the folk faith now. I can not atest to the motivations or sincerity of these new movements. (Those who do not learn form the past are condemned to repeat it.) Perhaps there are Odinic dedicated NS movements now that are truly Odinist in their motivation. I would however prefer to wait and see the results of these groups, or the faith in action to pass any thoughts on these.

Militarism to myself is not a crime. I am very militant in my views. I am an extremely right winged political person, but my motivation is for Odin, the folk faith, and our folk first, nothing else.

Again, your points are indeed noteworthy and excellent points of the movements use of symbols and exploitation of our folk beliefs, but not any proof that Hitler was an Odinist, or that the NSDAP had any goal of reviving Odinism, or the folk faith. The NSDAP created a religion of the state with Hitler at the head as the glorious messiah of the movement, the sole god of the people. In propoganda, he designed his image to be seen as an incaration perhaps of some old Germanic god, as in the begining of the Triumph of the Will where the symbolic aryan god descends to the masses through the clouds to the strains of one of Richard Wagner's Nordic inspired compositions. The symbolism was powerful and I believe awe inspiring. But It was I would argue none the less Symbolism for propoganda purposes alone. If you can find a speech, or speches, and or any writings that point to Odin and or the revivial of Odinism as a state goal. I would be more apt to redefine my understanding.

I would still drink a horn of meade with any one who follows the faith, and stand by anyone who advances Odin and the folk faith, and our folk first and foremost. You have raised good points and we can not deny the reality of NS in various aspects of the movement, though we may ask their true motivations. I might add that in this debate, we may consider that such movemnts in England, and here in America may indeed be different in their slant and realities. Here, in my experience, it used to be sadly defunct of Odinic thought, guided by petty wannabe fuherers and soley dedicated to a politcal self empowerment alone.

I think the debate is worth having, and I am open to share and discuss it as such. Your sugegstion we continue it is a good idea. Others may benefit from it, and I am always up to learning something new I may not have known. I do however not see in any of your points above anything other than the use of our faith for anything other than pure symbolism and propoganda. I also do not see in any other aspect of the NSDAP (or in any of Hilter's speeches, or writtings) the advocation of the worship of Odin, or the revivial of the folk faith, as the goal of NSDAP. If it was indeed a movement based on and created by Odinists, that would have been the entire goal. The return of the folk to the folk faith, and the advancement of the same ahead of all else.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:00 am
Profile WWW

More Nordic folk, some of it with a more modern twist;

Valravn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojHQRmGJlKA

Sorten Muld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkqlgEOf1w

Garmarna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le0pnDH3MTM

Gjallarhorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLTrKuK_Wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBV5SSbQh5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43RdmmNaGfQ

Värttinä

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keS5CgpBT0 (the chanting in this video is an actual chant from a Finnish Tjetaja for the curing of a snake bite)

Eivør pálsdóttir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8svQkdpLY

Mari Boine (Sami)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYevBLUtuLc

And the best (in my opinion) song by Krauka ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZpJ2Osrtw

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next