View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
On horses 

While reading some of the beautiful poetry and some of the stories here, I felt inspired to write some of my own. It was as if some sort of presence came over me to write, and when I did, it was effortless. I'm not saying this stuff is good, it's just that it's raw and inspired by the words here, which to me is very special. When I wrote these words I didn't even have to think, my hands just wrote them. Others here have described this feelings better than I have.

Here are my three poems about horses:

The crashing of hooves
Sounds harshly
Over the forgotten lands
Of my friends
The beasts charge on
Mortals on their backs
Nostrils flared
Muscles tensed
They ride into the dread
Not seeming to notice
The discord they have caused

Horse
Wonderful beast
Chained and bound
For the amusement of men
They ride you
Beat you
Slate you
Kill you
You do not fight against them
Or run away from them
You hang your heavy head
For those men will know their sins
When the Day of the Bridle comes

Your cries sound
Across the way
Your screams
Your shouting
Your chilling pain
The men do not run
To your aid
As they do their own
They watch you
Unknowingly
Scared
Cowardly
Worthlessly

These may not have too much Norse influence in them, but they are inspired by the gods themselves, I believe.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:16 pm

If you like writing poetry, push yourself to try more complex methods of poetry. Perhaps even try writing in the style of the Poetic Edda. My favorite modern poet is H.P Lovecraft.

I never personally liked writing poetry in this style. I like having moderate amounts of detail per line. However, I surely have an appreciation for poetry in this style. It is nicely written. My only suggestion would be to try and have less variance on the amount of syllables per line. Don't make it strict like "6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4" but at least have a good range like "5-6, 2-4, 5-6, 2-4". Your method is completely legitimate, I just find that if you keep it somewhat structured, it rolls of the tongue easier.

Nonetheless, great job! You could one day be a regular skald. Surely you know the origin of the "mead of poetry". Quite an interesting story indeed. I like this poem, and I hope to hear more work from you in the future!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]