View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Ginnungagap 

I'd like to compare sources discussing the creation.

The first thing I'd like to bring up is Helheimr. According to your sources, is Helheimr located in the north or south? In Niflheimr or Muspellheim?

Second, do you know it as Musspelheimr or as Sökkdalir? My copy of the Edda names it Sökkdalir, which is in contrast to everything I thought I knew.

I have another version of the Edda as an eBook, but I have not read much of it, partly because it is put together so badly in eBook form, that I can hardly make sense of what I'm reading.
So, what does everyone here think? What does the OB lore have to say, if anyone would be so kind as to share?

Note: understanding the lore is extremely important to the book(s) I'm writing. Out of respect for the lore and the old ways, I cannot afford to make mistakes. In case anyone's wondering, I'm about 99% sure that my series will culminate with Ragnarökr. I have a back up plan, just in case things don't work out that way. That being said, I must gain a deeper knowledge of is Ragnarökr, especially what follows.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 am

I will take some time to see if I can give you some adequate feedback. Even if I can't find the answer, I'd like to be more familiar with this topic. Thank you for bringing it to attention!
r

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:10 am

RedSon wrote:
I will take some time to see if I can give you some adequate feedback. Even if I can't find the answer, I'd like to be more familiar with this topic. Thank you for bringing it to attention!
r

Thank you. One really nice thing about what I'm writing is that it really inspires me to learn more of the lore, and helps to keep the process entertaining and engaging. By applying what I learn, I retain more. But the more I learn, the more questions I have, and that is exacerbated by my very literal way of thinking. I crave details, rather than vague generalities.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Fand, this is a good thing. There are never too many questions. Stormr

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Fand wrote:
RedSon wrote:
r

Thank you. One really nice thing about what I'm writing is that it really inspires me to learn more of the lore, and helps to keep the process entertaining and engaging. By applying what I learn, I retain more. But the more I learn, the more questions I have, and that is exacerbated by my very literal way of thinking. I crave details, rather than vague generalities.

Like Joe Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am." As for generality, we have Kant. "Wo die Begriffe fehlt, dann stellt man sich zur recthen Zein ein Wort vor."

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 am

Grrr.... I've got to work on my German! I should be able to make more sense of that.
Still uncertain about specifics regarding the names and locations of the different realms, but until I find something to clarify further, I'm going with what my book says, as much as possible.
Does anyone know to/through what realms the Élivágar rivers flow? I know the creation story, just not the location of individual rivers. If nothing turns up, I'm going to choose one solely for the meaning of its name and hope no one notices any error. Ha!
I'm also seeking knowledge about Angrboða and Hel. I know that she was thrice burnt for her crimes, and about her and Loki and their children, etc. What I'd like to know is more about her nature, and how she appears. Perhaps someone here has a special connection wit her and Hel?
Another thing I'm interested in is mention of dragons in Norse Lore. What does the lore have to say about them, if anything?

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Fand, good to have you back. Dragons have been discussed in previous threads here so you'll need to have a bit of a hunt - sorry, if I had the time right now to post the link however if I get time later I will. I have an affinity with dragons, always have. They are mentioned in the lore most particularly with regard Yggdrasil and also with Ragnarok. Can't be more specific, sorry but it's a start for you.

Interested to hear all about your books when you get to the copy stage - happy to proof them if you need help.

Will also post an author / series that incorporates the lore, mainly from the viewpoint of Loki - author has used poetic license and for the sake of fantasy literature, I am sure you can too.

Stormr

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 am

I'm pretty sure hellhome is commonly said to be adjacent to nebulahome (nifleheim).
There are regional varieties to the names, as well as different kennings for them. But it would be good to keep in mind that the true and original poosition of the realms isn't known, as far as I'm aware. They often change name and place within the collection of Norse lore.
Sokkdalir which trnslate to something like 'sunken dales'I think originates as a different poetic invention, probably to make it rhyme better with the context of what's being relayed..
It may also provide a clue as to what Muspellheim really IS, I.e a valley that is sunken.
I'm still contemplating what this could mean

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 pm

north wrote:
I'm pretty sure hellhome is commonly said to be adjacent to nebulahome (nifleheim).
There are regional varieties to the names, as well as different kennings for them. But it would be good to keep in mind that the true and original poosition of the realms isn't known, as far as I'm aware. They often change name and place within the collection of Norse lore.
Sokkdalir which trnslate to something like 'sunken dales'I think originates as a different poetic invention, probably to make it rhyme better with the context of what's being relayed..
It may also provide a clue as to what Muspellheim really IS, I.e a valley that is sunken.
I'm still contemplating what this could mean

Ooh, that's curious. Sunken dales....
As for location, my Edda places Helheimr in Musspelheimr. Is surprised me, because like you, I always thought it was in Niflheimr. Why are sources all so conflicting?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Norse Storm wrote:
Fand, good to have you back. Dragons have been discussed in previous threads here so you'll need to have a bit of a hunt - sorry, if I had the time right now to post the link however if I get time later I will. I have an affinity with dragons, always have. They are mentioned in the lore most particularly with regard Yggdrasil and also with Ragnarok. Can't be more specific, sorry but it's a start for you.

Interested to hear all about your books when you get to the copy stage - happy to proof them if you need help.

Will also post an author / series that incorporates the lore, mainly from the viewpoint of Loki - author has used poetic license and for the sake of fantasy literature, I am sure you can too.

Stormr

Hi, it's nice to be back! Sorry that I can't pop in here as often as before. Sooooooo busy!!
I'll have to see what I can did up on here about dragons. But by the time I find something useful, I'll likely have the book finished. The scene I just finished writing is the first appearance of the dragon.
Number 1 is almost finished. Last chapter has to be finished and revisions/editinb to a few chapters need to be done. It certainly won't be a retelling of the lore, so not to be confused with something educational, but I do treat the lore seriously and do my best to keep aligned with it where applicable.
When I get it finished I'll announce it on here. I'd be happy to get some opinions. :)

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]