View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Afterlife 

Im curious and don't know what to think of it.

When you Die, it says Warriors go to Valhalla or Freyas hall,(Can't remember the name right now)

where do the rest go?

shouldn't good people Go some where besides Hel. (doesn't know alot about it)

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 am

Snorri says, no one else really does except those that treat the eddas like a bible, the hall folkvangr. What a good question though, will be interested to see peoples opinion and there sources for it.

I think we go in to the mound and so did our ancestors at that time.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm

In my opinon...i wanna go back to the world i came from, (long story)

I respect the Gods, but its not really my wish to join them in death, or my ancestors..well some of my ancestors in some sense are there.

but just saying..

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41 pm
Site Admin

First, we have no HELL. Hela's realm is simply another habitation.

Second, the Odin Brotherhood has a special ritual to enter Valhalla. Those who know our lore know the ritual.

Third, some interpret Valhalla in imaginative ways. Wotanists say that warriors return HERE to continue the struggle, to fight by day and drink mead by night.

Finally, some of our lore:
Quote:
AUTHOR: You have described death in poetic terms. What is death in concrete terms?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: According to the legends of Balder, death occurs when the entire soul leaves the tabernacle that is the body.

AUTHOR: And does the soul survive death?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: Death is not annihilation, so the soul will endure.

AUTHOR: In Odinist terms, what is a soul?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: A soul is a transfigured life-form. Utterly pure, it has the color and texture of light.

AUTHOR: And what is the shape of the soul?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: The soul is an approximate replica of the body before the body was touched by the cause of death.

AUTHOR: After the soul has exited the body, what does it experience?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: As Balder discovered, the soul is translated to one of three possible Other-Worlds on the opposite shore of existence.

AUTHOR: Describe these “Other-Worlds.”

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: They are realms governed by dream-logic.

AUTHOR: Dream-logic?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: The state in which all things are possible and nothing is true.

AUTHOR: Are these Other-Worlds heavens—paradises that are quiet, carefree, and vast? Or are they hells—prisons that are vicious, stygian, and stifling?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: They are neither.

AUTHOR: Then what are they?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: All worlds are what we make them.

AUTHOR: You mentioned there are three Other-Worlds. What are their names?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: The first is called White-Kingdom or Valhalla. Heroes who die violent deaths go there.

AUTHOR: Is a violent death absolutely necessary to enter White- Kingdom?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: Yes. Unless a soul exits through a gaping wound, it cannot enter White-Kingdom.

AUTHOR: In an ancient text called The Ynglinga Saga, Snorri Sturluson declares that some dying heroes mark their bodies with the points of spears. Is that custom still followed?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: If there is blood at death—no matter how small the offering—the soul finds Valhalla. A man who knows that secret holds the key to White-Kingdom.

AUTHOR: And what is the second Other-World?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: The second Other-World is called Gray-Kingdom. People who die straw deaths go there.

AUTHOR: Straw deaths?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: People who die in bed from old age or sickness. Their souls exit through the nose/mouth.

AUTHOR: And Gray-Kingdom is open only to the souls of such people?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: That is correct.

AUTHOR: And what is the third Other-World?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: The third Other-World is called Black-Kingdom.

AUTHOR: And who goes there?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: Men and women who are assassinated by sorcery. Their souls exit through the eyes.

AUTHOR: And what is sorcery?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: A species of illicit magic.

AUTHOR: Can you be more exact?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: Sorcery is killing with words.

AUTHOR: And who uses sorcery?

THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD: Ghouls, wizards, and all who thrive on malice.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

(cough) never Said Hell, i said Hel =3

Curious how do you enter freyas hall? or is that more of a pick up to freya?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am

PoeticKita wrote:
shouldn't good people Go some where besides Hel. (doesn't know alot about it)

This is the reason OBL responded the way he did.

You did say Hel, but this implies you are seeing it as "Hell."

Hela's hall is not a place of torture like the Christian Hell is.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:46 am

Perhaps i should use better wording.

Hel's hall is different from Hell indeed, my question more is, where do really bad people go?

Im trying to learn about the norse after life, point being are the recarnaited, stay dead in the grave for so long, punishment? i don't know, thats what im trying to ask lol.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 am

Weak people want afterlife punishment because they are too weak to avenge themselves here.

We have no afterlife punishment, just as we have no place of idle rest and bliss.

The next world, like this one, is a place of challenges, and it will be what we make it.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Quote:
Hel's hall is different from Hell indeed, my question more is, where do really bad people go?

I am reminded of odin brotherhood lore about the dove and the worm. A dove may be perceived to be something good, something beautiful ,but to a worm, the same dove is a devilish fiend who seeks only to devour it and it's kin.. There is no good people. There is no bad or evil people. There is simply just people who have a dual nature.

Where do ''bad'' people go? Probably among other ''bad'' people and gods. So it's really about perspectives and perception.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:10 am
Site Admin

On Freyja's "half," some suggest that she gathers the women who die in childbirth. Traditionally, as many women die giving birth as men die in battle.

This old thread may be of some value:
http://odinbrotherhood.freeforums.org/post19161.html?hilit=childbirth#p19161

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Von List goes into some detail on this subject in his The Religion of the Aryo-Germanic Folk.

According to von List,

But now, according to how the self conducts itself in life, whether the spiritual soul or the human soul overcame the other, the spirit itself will show way - as its own judge of the dead[Totenrichter] for the disembodied soul - toward either Wanaheim or Jotunheim, i.e. toward higher spiritualization or toward lower materialization. This is neither a reward nor punishment, but ratherGarma, conditioned by the self's own will.
As the now disembodied self enters into a circle of spiritual forces - be this in Wanaheim or Jotunheim - it takes on those spiritual energies corresponding to the desires, inclinations and habits which it used to form its ideas and its desired and willed goals as spiritual conceptions in its last physical life. If these desired and willed goals were truly and deeply directed toward spiritual things such as art, science, ethics, etc., the self in question moves on into Wanaheim and there it leads a joyous spiritual life in the circle of those blessed spirits into whose orbit it brought its desiresand longings - for all illusion and hypocrisy remain with the souless body in the grave - and these (often unfulfilled) longings and strivings which prevailed in the previous human life are intensified in those spheres. But if this desire, striving and longing was directedtoward material pleasure, material possessions, money and property in the previous life, the disembodied self will find others like itself in Jotunheim. Its appetitive body increases, but the means by which to this appetite can be quelled are missing and so the soul suffers the torment of longing and remains bound with a thousand chains to the corporeal world.

List continues,

But gradually the astral body fades and after it evaporates the self commences its migration toward the next divine world, i.e. either to Asaheim or Darkalf-heim, whichever is necessary. There similar processes are undergone until the self sheds the body of life, i.e. that body which still connects it materially to the human world. Only then does the animalisitc life really cease, but the appetittes remain and increase the torments as they now become more difficult to satisfy, while the satisfaction of the appetites toward spiritual properties are eased considerably, and thus afford blessed joys. Still clothed with the appetitive body, burdened by the final bonds to humanity , the soul enters Alfheim, or Half-world, whichever is appropriate to its progress. Only completely free spirits make it to Muspellsheim, while on the other hand completely fetetred spirits go to Niflheim. From neither of those two divine worlds is there any further return to the human world by way of rebirth. I both places spirits remain in a fully conscious state until creation is renewed in the next cycle. The one in blessed remembrance and spiritual enjoyment, the other in a condition of torment and regret. But it is not hopeless, for they too can look forward to salvation in the next cycle, yet they have to seek to make their way once more from below upwards through all the levels of matter , struggling upward to attain a future human level, which they shall inevitably obtain, even if it is at the end of time and space.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Von List was an interesting writer, but he still shows some Christian influence:

The one in blessed remembrance and spiritual enjoyment, the other in a condition of torment and regret.

The Brotherhood teaches that the next world will be what we make it.

If anyone here should end up in Hela's realm, a boring place, to be sure, but not a hell, do not just vegetate in regret.

Break out!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 am

odinbrotherhoodlives wrote:
Von List was an interesting writer, but he still shows some Christian influence:

The one in blessed remembrance and spiritual enjoyment, the other in a condition of torment and regret.

The Brotherhood teaches that the next world will be what we make it.

If anyone here should end up in Hela's realm, a boring place, to be sure, but not a hell, do not just vegetate in regret.

Break out!

While List's ideas on the subject may, at first glance, seem to have been partially influenced by Xtianity, the truth of the matter is that Xtianity's cosmology was stolen from Zoroastrianism, an Indo-European religion.

As for orlog/garma, our present Earthly manifestations result from our past actions, this the Eddas seem quite clear about, just as our actions in this life predicate the quality of our future incarnations.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

What I hold to be true is this:
When the state of death occurs we will go to the place which befits us. If you find yourself in hel you'll have a long journey upward. If, you be worthy your valkurie will bring you to valhall. of course you can always come back as I have.
you may as how I am so certain I came back from Valhall, well all I can say (while remaining secret) is that I remember vividly my early years and the notions I had then about reality. eventualy I forgot largly due to my intsely christian family. But now theat I've been called home I remember. It is my belief that all OB members hail from Valhall...

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Tyrsson, interesting.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 am

My thoughts on the matter resemble those of Tyrsson - with the exception of the fact that I do not yet remember my point of 'otherworldly' origin or the reason of return (in spite of having some vivid memories from past lives here in Midgaard). To quote Gundarsson again, "Hel receives those souls who cannot struggle through to Valhalla, but in time, as her name “Mother Holle” suggests, she bears them forth again."

The wyrd is not set in stone, not even after death.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Hmm from having time to think on this, I tend to agree more with OBL. But still decently have my own opinion.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Certainly the three deaths represent three states of spirituality. They're just not divided into "good" and "evil". The people in the gray and black kingdoms might prefer the challenges they'll face there, I guess.

Well, actually black kingdom is kind of confusing. Clearly death by sorcery is not a very common death. Is it subject to a wider interpretation?

Maybe death by politics? Maybe people who lived and died by public opinion, spreading praise and libel alike to their friends and enemies? I don't think a warrior lives that way but I'm sure some people would find the challenge of such intrigues to be even more interesting than outright combat. So perhaps they might prefer a kingdom that's built around it?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:27 am

I agree with OB that upon death the soul (souls?) Dwell in realms or worlds of dream logic, and that those realms of our own design to an extent, I have been clinically dead 3 times, once from a wound received in battle, once from poison, and once from drowning in my own blood, and I recall certain things from each time, and I can say it is not lonesome and it is as being awake in a dream, as least this is my experience. And though I do not believe in good or evil, there is order and chaos, and I believe there are men and women whom serve chaos, people who relish in the destruction and suffering of the innocent or honorable, such people are below contempt and are enemies of true men and women, and for those for example whom prey on children, I do not believe they will have pleasant existances after they leave this world

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Well said Rabed.

I also agree with the White, Grey and Black realms to an extent also. The Black afterlife seems to me to be a place for the liars and deceivers so rife in the elite circles. They are perhaps damned already being born into such bloodlines but who really can tell with them.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next