View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ragnarok 

Do you think it will be fought with medieval weaponry, or firearms?
Firearms 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Medieval weaponry 66%  66%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 35

Ragnarok 

Wayfarer wrote:
I voted 'Firearms.'
However if there is a massive collapse of western civilization first then a Ragnarok afterwards it will be a mix of the two.

I actually believe that Ragnaroks occur at certain periods of time and take certain 'forms'
The Christianization of Europe was a form of Ragnarok for example.
The collapse of the elder empire (many thousands of years ago) was another for of Ragnarok etc

I agree on this , I think that even for the gods Ragnarok(S) are a constant cycle of death and rebirth.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Let us wait for the moment Heimdall blows his horn.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:06 am

It will be a mixture of both, but if you think about the history of the gun, it is a modern weapon, the sword and spear were the main weapons up to the 20th century. The warriors in Vallhol will use what they died with!

Sun May 04, 2014 6:55 pm

A good question, certainly meriting a better answer than I am about to share. To address the question I would like to first delineate the importance of understanding Ragnarok. I know that for all of us Ragnarok looms cloaked in mystery and threatening chaos. I described it as looming, but looming can be irrelevant. I described it as mystery, but what value do we actually find in fascination? Only chaos gives meaning for us. Even still, a prophecy comforts us as if to dispel the worries we will all inevitably face, telling us that we can and will begin again. Does this not undo the impending chaos of Ragnarok if we have a uniform escape route? Were such a thing to be true we would have no need to fear, but we have need of fear, and the gods have need of those of us who can tame their own fears.

Some of you know what I mean. Some of you already know personally that fear can be mastered. Despair can be mastered as well. The Odin Brotherhood does not believe that any person should ever be less than another. The Odin Brotherhood does not believe that any person should be subject to such weaknesses. The gods have shown us a way, and they continue to remind us of that way, and regardless of whether we enter the White Kingdom or reside elsewhere, that way leads to Ragnarok.

The Shrouded One of Odin was burned to death by cowards with green wood. Cowards. What would the brave do with green wood? We would never defile it by burning one of our own. We would gather it, in preparation for winter. We are the children of Ash and Elder. We are green wood. What will the gods do with us?

Alfather gave an eye in exchange for knowledge, but to what end? To create. He created our souls, but to what end? Yggdrasil was created, but to what end? We have created tools and nations, but to what end? We should consider our crafts carefully. No weapon of human craft has yet to intimidate the lightning, so what do we offer the gods? We will fight, make no mistake, but if we live right we will know that we ARE the "weapons". Whatever quality of stone or stick we wield will only be as effective as its master. In short, we must refine what Alfather has created: our selves.

Having so far turned the topic back to us humans as the "weapons" of the gods, I would also like to problematize the concept of weapons. Some of you already knew where this was going. Thor's most recognized weapon is a hammer of considerable craftsmanship. Thor's greatest weapon is a tool. A tool both for destruction and for creation, but a tool nevertheless. Do bombs and machine guns build? A sword or axe can cut, and cutting can work both toward destruction or creation. When we think of battle and Ragnarok, we forget that a larger role we will play is in building and not destroying. Make no mistake, we will destroy, but our endgame centers around the protection of our Yggdrasil. Will bombs and machine guns protect Yggdrasil?

In short: we are weapons for the great battle. Our skills are expected to be both destructive and constructive. Will we have tools given to us to aid in our respective missions? Yes... But let us not imagine that our so-called technology will yield greater weapons and tools than those created by the sons of Ivaldi. I doubt very much that they will create tools with only destructive or only constructive capabilities.

This topic deserves more constructive attention and discussion. The gods are watching us.

Last edited by RedSon on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 5:30 am

Well said. I agree.

Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 am

Just a tought that came into my mind and it was like the whispering of the gods themselve:

Since non of us have bin to Walhalla (yet) nobody can answer this question, we have to wait and hope we will be allowed to be an Einherjar when we die. Then we'll know how it will be during Ragnarok.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:31 pm

I feel that i am what some would call old school in many ways. I would love to think that in the end of days we would revert back to warfare that is up close and personal. It is one thing to pull a trigger from far away (and i was in the sevice) and being up close and personal with a sword, knife, axe or spear. it just seems more to the core of Pagan beliefs. However with that said, at Ragnarok it will be all out war, whatever you get your hands on you use. At least for those who are still in midguard.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 am

RagnarRedMane wrote:
I feel that i am what some would call old school in many ways. I would love to think that in the end of days we would revert back to warfare that is up close and personal. It is one thing to pull a trigger from far away (and i was in the sevice) and being up close and personal with a sword, knife, axe or spear. it just seems more to the core of Pagan beliefs. However with that said, at Ragnarok it will be all out war, whatever you get your hands on you use. At least for those who are still in midguard.

Excellent point. One of my favorite quotes is Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -Teddy Roosevelt. Athough I am much more proficient with firearms I would not hesitate to protect my family using axe, sword & spear if that is what is available when the need arises.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm

I think it'll be with medieval weaponry. Those resting in Valhalla now fight with swords and spear and shield. I train daily with sword, not so much with shield though. I found a great tutorial on youtube that I'll go hunt up later to post here.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 pm

RedSon wrote:
A good question, certainly meriting a better answer than I am about to share. To address the question I would like to first delineate the importance of understanding Ragnarok. I know that for all of us Ragnarok looms cloaked in mystery and threatening chaos. I described it as looming, but looming can be irrelevant. I described it as mystery, but what value do we actually find in fascination? Only chaos gives meaning for us. Even still, a prophecy comforts us as if to dispel the worries we will all inevitably face, telling us that we can and will begin again. Does this not undo the impending chaos of Ragnarok if we have a uniform escape route? Were such a thing to be true we would have no need to fear, but we have need of fear, and the gods have need of those of us who can tame their own fears.

Some of you know what I mean. Some of you already know personally that fear can be mastered. Despair can be mastered as well. The Odin Brotherhood does not believe that any person should ever be less than another. The Odin Brotherhood does not believe that any person should be subject to such weaknesses. The gods have shown us a way, and they continue to remind us of that way, and regardless of whether we enter the White Kingdom or reside elsewhere, that way leads to Ragnarok.

The Shrouded One of Odin was burned to death by cowards with green wood. Cowards. What would the brave do with green wood? We would never defile it by burning one of our own. We would gather it, in preparation for winter. We are the children of Ash and Elder. We are green wood. What will the gods do with us?

Alfather gave an eye in exchange for knowledge, but to what end? To create. He created our souls, but to what end? Yggdrasil was created, but to what end? We have created tools and nations, but to what end? We should consider our crafts carefully. No weapon of human craft has yet to intimidate the lightning, so what do we offer the gods? We will fight, make no mistake, but if we live right we will know that we ARE the "weapons". Whatever quality of stone or stick we wield will only be as effective as its master. In short, we must refine what Alfather has created: our selves.

Having so far turned the topic back to us humans as the "weapons" of the gods, I would also like to problematize the concept of weapons. Some of you already knew where this was going. Thor's most recognized weapon is a hammer of considerable craftsmanship. Thor's greatest weapon is a tool. A tool both for destruction and for creation, but a tool nevertheless. Do bombs and machine guns build? A sword or axe can cut, and cutting can work both toward destruction or creation. When we think of battle and Ragnarok, we forget that a larger role we will play is in building and not destroying. Make no mistake, we will destroy, but our endgame centers around the protection of our Yggdrasil. Will bombs and machine guns protect Yggdrasil?

In short: we are weapons for the great battle. Our skills are expected to be both destructive and constructive. Will we have tools given to us to aid in our respective missions? Yes... But let us not imagine that our so-called technology will yield greater weapons and tools than those created by the sons of Ivaldi. I doubt very much that they will create tools with only destructive or only constructive capabilities.

This topic deserves more constructive attention and discussion. The gods are watching us.

Thank you RedSon for this response. There is much to learn from what you have said. Much to consider that is not literal. This is how I think, not literally and I find this to make so much sense to me.

I think at Ragnarok, those of us chosen to fight will need to be proficient in sword, shield, knife and axe over the modern weapons. But then again, as mentioned previously, it will come down to whatever we can lay our hands on in the final battle.

Storm

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 am

Thank you, Storm.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 am

we should think about the Valkyries. would a 9th century man who was lifted into Valhalla be forever training with his sword? would a Marine who was granted access to Valhalla Fight everyday with his service rifle? these two warriors are centuries apart, but I can see Odin adapting his army. I see a battle of clashing steal and erupting muzzles. In the end it does not matter who fights with what, the gods and all of man will perish and all things will start anew.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Perhaps it will be completely unarmed combat - tooth & nail, fang & claw.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2