View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Do Odininsts really believe the creation story? 

8-j wrote:
Do you think that later on, poets and song writers personified Ymir, and other things (like the horses skinfaxi and hrimfaxi, or the eagle that flaps his wings to create the wind.... etc...) Perhaps in order to make them more beautiful? To give genuine poetry to an otherwise mundane account? The Eddaic Verses, insofar as I've read them, have the appearance have having been intended to be performed to music for an audience.

But if so, then I'm left to wonder what the mentioning of giants means when they are described in other contexts. Perhaps Thor protects the Earth against natural forces, instead of big people? Maybe Surtr isn't a person, but an object that will eventually destroy the universe after Freyr tries in vain to stop it (and loses his life in the attempt)?

It's a very complicated issue, I guess. Maybe both perspectives are true, and neither?

Does the bacteria in your skin know where they really are? Perhaps the universe we live in is a living breathing being.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Thank you. I read some of Eddas through again and still not sure. This helps ememsely though. I want to know more about the Allmother. I had a thought of the Norns as being so but with further research think they may represent, past , present future in my experiences. I have had whispers from them as I awake from dreams and found everytime the info that was given, was correct. I drempt of them years ago and did not understand. The three sat in a triangle on rocks i think and one spoke, it was like all of them gave voice to one. Frigg means Beloved or wife or jewel and she knows the future and she is a different being that Freya. Is it Frigga who is our Allmother if Just Odin is allFather and not his brothers even though they contribute in the 3? Even I've read it's Odin's Father and his Son Thor instead of the Brothers. Frigg, Freyja and Hel is good correlation since 3's and nine show all the time. I have much more research. Three's can be one and 3 ones connected can be nine. The Vaulknut symbol emerges again. The more I learn, the less I know. {{Smile}} My head is reeling but it's all good.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:12 am

BjornBerserk wrote:
8-j wrote:
Do you think that later on, poets and song writers personified Ymir, and other things (like the horses skinfaxi and hrimfaxi, or the eagle that flaps his wings to create the wind.... etc...) Perhaps in order to make them more beautiful? To give genuine poetry to an otherwise mundane account? The Eddaic Verses, insofar as I've read them, have the appearance have having been intended to be performed to music for an audience.

But if so, then I'm left to wonder what the mentioning of giants means when they are described in other contexts. Perhaps Thor protects the Earth against natural forces, instead of big people? Maybe Surtr isn't a person, but an object that will eventually destroy the universe after Freyr tries in vain to stop it (and loses his life in the attempt)?

It's a very complicated issue, I guess. Maybe both perspectives are true, and neither?

Does the bacteria in your skin know where they really are? Perhaps the universe we live in is a living breathing being.

Some people who claim to do a kind of Odinist spirit/dream/astral projection type magic have claimed that frost giants are a sort of elemental beings that appear as a swirling maelstrom of snow and ice (and maybe rocks), rather than flesh and blood. So the idea of the Earth as we know it being a dead frost giant makes a bit more sense in that light.

I take dream state magic with a bit of skepticism, but what they said made sense. If I am able to remember where I found their writings I'll post a link to them. I regret having forgotten.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:48 am

Our Norse creation myth has scientific basis. Make its metaphorical science . This is where the valknut shows up from my understanding.

Spirit science 23- sacred geometry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSmdSw9eEIA

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:21 pm

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Actually, the idea that the universe was created and that life was formed are remnants of a Jewish-Christian world view that is so widespread in the West that even the scientists assume there is a beginning.

Indo-European cultures believe that time in without beginning or end and that a universe in some form has always existed.

Thus, the Eddaic legends are actually describing how this universe formed from the wreckage of the previous one, just as the next universe will form from the wreckage of this one.

i totaly agree with this

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Most of the legends occurred in or around Scandinavia. It gives credence to the theory that their gods created their world, as in Scandinavia. Just as Greek gods resided within Greece and created the Greek people. Abrahamics are of a difference, introducing the idea that their god created everything, with an infinite sphere of influence. A clever deception that the lambs have all fallen for.

Toward amendment, I would offer the possibility that when any of the creation legends discuss the creation of man, they refer not to the human species but the people whom hold that legend close to heart.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm

I have understood the giants to be the planets as in the begining post and our planet, midguard. If that were the case, other planets are other realms? Heindall being our DNA father from the 9 mothers, DNA from all realms. Our DNA from this realm, limited to earth unless added to by other beings from realms, which is why Odin came to earth to gain DNA for Thor. Thus we have the red headed power house. A blend of Redheaded earth mother and Odin.
Other realm beings taking advantage of earth DNA for their procreations, making other earth beings and other out of this realm supposed "Gods". But only ours comes up with the best creation explaination that I've looked into. It was brilliantly packaged, and it rings the most plausible of all. Why hide it so well? The Christian religions lie because they want people controlled. Are the majority of Humans soo bad, the truth will not suit them?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I don't believe it at all, but I believe the most part.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:42 pm

I think this depends upon whether you are looking at it literally, or viewing more metaphorically and symbollically. Do I believe and actual cosmic cow licked Ymir out of the primordial ice? No. Do I believe the story speaks to the emergence of the multi-verse and processes and powers that cannot be explained away by reason alone, then yes I believe it. It is the reality of mythology and symbol that it can be not true literally but deeply true in other more important ways.

I'm always cautious with the idea that the myths of our people have to be aligned with current scientific theories. Science has it's place as a tool but it is seriously lacking in wisdom and true insight. The stories of Ymir, Skinfaxi and Hrimfaxi speak in a different kind of language than scientific discussions about the Big Bang, and they speak to a deeper and more primal part of ourselves than the logical mind. The logical mind may be good for navigating the material world, but it fails miserably when it tries to engage other levels of the multiverse. These myths and symbols interact with us to open doors into the deep time and a wholly different kind of understanding about the nature of the multiverse and its staggering implications.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:25 pm

I think I earn the "late to the party" award.

Huginn makes the most logical point.

Let's examine monotheism and science.

Monotheism, typically, = Conclusion first, evidence later.

Science, typically, = Evidence is seen, best possible conclusion is reached (in respect to best given knowledge, evidence and senses)

Most polytheistic religions and belief systems follow the same suit as science. Our ancestors made conclusions with the best of their knowledge. At the time period, a plethora of conclusions could be reached with the miniscule amount of knowledge they had.

One of the things I liked most about these forums is that it follows suit of the "scientific method." That is to say, evidence is seen, and with our best given knowledge, we make conclusions. On top of that, we never stop seeking new knowledge, and as such, when new evidence is seen, new conclusions are made.

The only part in the traditional creation story that has 100% merit is the idea of ginnungagap and the universe coming from it. The theory of the universes dying and being revived again, or new parts of the universe coming out of the void, is complete valid. Not only is it possible through quantum mechanics and quantum probability for our universe to exist purely randomly, but it's also very feasible that other events in other galaxies could have created our galaxy, which could play into the idea that from niflheim and muspelheim came and created the first of our world, Ymir and Buri.

Again, there are many, many possible theories both in the past and today. It's important for our knowledge that we never stop seeking new evidence to make new conclusions. The day we decide to do what most monotheists do is the day we fail to remain honorable. That is to say, the day that we see evidence contradict conclusion, and claim the evidence is wrong and not the conclusion, is the day the world may as well end.

This is only my interpretation and beliefs, however. I hope I have provided a decent wealth of perspective.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I DO i feel a very strong connection to Ymir

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Our world was created and will end, in Violence!
Just like the Ancient cave paintings in Lascaux and just like the Runes, Poems in the Edda have many meanings at once.
Literal, Anagoge ,allegory... Metaphorical
On the literal side, remember humans cant sense much of the multiverse. Theirs things their senses can't pick up but they are more "real" than real.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Lugal wrote:
Our world was created and will end, in Violence!
Just like the Ancient cave paintings in Lascaux and just like the Runes, Poems in the Edda have many meanings at once.
Literal, Anagoge ,allegory... Metaphorical
On the literal side, remember humans cant sense much of the multiverse. Theirs [sic] things their senses can't pick up but they are more "real" than real.

I agree with this completely and also with what OdinBrotherhood said.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 pm

I think civilised nations make the mistake of assuming they have everything figured out. I truly believe that magic and supernatural being and creatures walked freely once before civilsation conquered the world. Science, in a way, replaced magic and lore. But one day civilisation will wither and fall, you'll be right back in that world which will seem so alien as to be inconceivable.

Besides that, a magical being could appear right before most people's eyes and in their arrogance, they'd declare it a delusion or hallucination, or a genetically engineered creature.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:01 am

Haurus wrote:
Perhaps it is cyclic. There is evidence the universe is expanding. Other evidence it is contracting. Much like fire and ice colliding as opposites in a void coincides with the scientific theory of the Big Bang. But given their are "cycles" then perhaps all matter and energy will eventually find its way into another such collision and the whole process would repeat...expanding and contracting...bang after bang, evolution after evolution. Ragnarok would also support this theory as it isnt an "end" but a reconfiguration. A new bang, a new world, a new pantheon, new beings.

As for a giant becoming worlds? On such a great scale it isnt so hard to believe. I work in nuclear power. We create and alter elements on a daily basis. On a grand scale I see it plausible that a thing of life and unknown composition would be able to be transformed into different sub materials. Just as matter can be converted to energy, and energy into matter...one could even argue that Ymir was comprised of energy which was slain (slowed) and converted to matter of unknown variations.

I cant truly believe one way or another, but the topic is worth discussion and exploration in order to discover more and more new ideas.

To the OP: I don't take it literal. I always look for what I can learn out of the stories. I do believe in the gods literally as the Elder Kin.

Haurus: That is a good way to put it. I always use the h2o analogy. Nothing ever really dies. You have ice and it heats up until it turns to water...until it heats up more and turns into steam....and then it comes into contact with the cold and condenses back to water.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:55 am

Blodhrafn wrote:
I think civilised nations make the mistake of assuming they have everything figured out. I truly believe that magic and supernatural being and creatures walked freely once before civilsation conquered the world. Science, in a way, replaced magic and lore. But one day civilisation will wither and fall, you'll be right back in that world which will seem so alien as to be inconceivable.

Besides that, a magical being could appear right before most people's eyes and in their arrogance, they'd declare it a delusion or hallucination, or a genetically engineered creature.

Well said brother, I think the uber-science may give way to both science and magic in future times...

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:18 am

Eternal Dawn wrote:
We know that the world was formed from the particles of a supernova that died and exploded. This supernova was known to our ancestors as Ymir. The gods kill Ymir (destroy the supernova) and with his body parts (particles) they construct and form the world. It's very scientific. Our ancestors knew these truths, along with countless other truths, that we are just finding out these past decades.

I never considered that before- now I can't picture it any other way.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2