View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Yule an' Solstice - By Conall O'Mordha 

Yule and Solstice
By Conall O'Mordha
----------------------

Thro' the ages of mine ancestral pride.
I've known all must arrive at a cease.
Thro' thine ancestral hate thou think'st mine died?
Thy faith corrupts like mental disease.
Your thoughts be the plague in this family, prayers can't help that your kind will decrease.

Thy reign o'er our hereditary creed,
Exists not on this time o' seasons.
On these nights toast to norse gods we concede.
Weary year comes to it's completion.
With our mead and sun wheels high to the sky, blood shrieking cry sounds "We art Odinists!"

This day we acknowledge death is closest.
Ancestors ride high with allfather.
Make oath and toast to each god and goddess.
To oden and the king and freyr.
T'is the night for rememberence o' all dead, Burn t'log to protect from thunder.

To each brother an' sister I make toast.
Yule come'st now with it's festivites.
Claim thy many victories an' boast!
T'is time o' year without calamity.
Thy yule be most enjoyable this year, and may next year be viewed with clarity.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:20 am

Your skill as a wordsmith is very impressive, especially for someone your age. Both the poems you have been kind enough to share have struck a cord within me.

Thank you.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am

I appreciate the words Tyrsman. I take great pleasure in writing these poems, as I can transfer thoughts and stories from head to paper.
I am considering over the summer, or two summers from now, to write an (obviously fictitious) epic about a stranded Norse berserk being thrown many difficulties by the gods as he makes his way home (if he makes his way home.) I plan to do extensive research on not only epics but also Scandinavian history and as many Norse stories and poems I can grab onto, that way the morals in my story do not contradict morals of the past.

My question to you, Tyrsman, is simply: do you believe it would be wrong of me to write an epic about a man's interactions with the gods, even if the potrayals of the gods are accurate and I claim it to be clearly fiction?

I am worried about people telling me that it would be wrong, even "heresy", for me to decide what the gods would say to a norse man. I can see where they are coming from. What do you think?

Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:52 pm

I may be mistaken, but the gods seem to be a part of ourselves. We share a connection to them. For instance, you may have a vision and connection during the solstice ritual. I cannot say for sure the link. Is it DNA? Some say that there are connections in inheritance that bind people across time and space. It might be something spiritual that we don't yet understand about our physiology.

It has seemed to me that the gods can always speak to you. When you sit in silence, a thought, image, or insight will enter your mind. It answers a question and is clearly not your own thought. I have always seen such experience as the gods speaking to me. I used to think that it was the Christian god, but that was not likely ever true. I was offending our gods by crediting him for their voice, so they got tired of speaking with me for a while.

If you connect with a god, the same way that a writer pulls forth any character, you might speak as them. A part of you will call upon their words and wisdom.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I agree with liolixi. I do not think the gods would be offended as long as your portrayal of them is in keeping with their character. Study closely each of the gods you intend to include in your account, the more you know about each of them the better insight you will have into how they would respond to various situations. Also, and I feel this will be an invaluable step, speak often with them as you write. When you create a scene involving a god ask him or her if that is really how they would respond or act.

I would not worry about offending the gods - your heart is in the right place and your intentions are pure, this will show through in your work. Put your best effort into it and you cannot go wrong. If there are any who do not like it, stand proudly and tell them you wrote it for those who would appreciate it and it obviously isn't them.

EDITED TO ADD:
As for the concept of "heresy" I would say you can completely forget about it. Our gods are our friends and not like the gods of other religions who are prone to an over-inflated sense of pride and whose egos are easily bruised. The gods are our friends, they're not going to mind you exercising a little creative license.  

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:41 pm

What confuses me is that you say to speak with the gods often... am I the only one among us who speaks and hears nothing in return?
Liolixli said about that image of thought that clearly wasn't theirs... yet, very rarely do I get that, or notice it at least.

I always assumed the gods didn't speak to us unless we were noticeable enough for their attention, and maybe not even then.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:15 am

I've found that by studying the gods closely and becoming familiar with their individual personalities when I seek their advice it comes to me. I speak to the gods out loud when I'm alone, if it's a serious matter I will clear my mind and enter a near meditative state. I don't hear their voices in the literal sense but know that some of the thoughts that enter my mind are theirs because they are solutions or options that would never have occurred to me on my own.

The more time you spend with the gods the closer you will grow together. I compare it to knowing how my wife would respond to something without ever having to ask her - after 24 years together I just know what her answer would be. There are several gods that I have a similar relationship with. I have a feeling that your writing will help you establish a similar line of communication with them and I'm excited for you! Don't worry if it doesn't happen immediately, just follow your plan to conduct research and write and put your heart into it, it will pay off.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 am

Know that your mention it... That makes a surprising amount of sense. I have had a similar experience now that I think of it. More so, I was not hearing words but more so compulsion that led me to find this brotherhood in the first place. Looking back I am surprised how much I have grown when I thought I accomplished so little.
Could it not be communication, but rather, us simply thinking more like a god?
When you predict what your wife says, it is more so you simply knowing her personality and thinking in that personality for a moment.
A separate thought. Maybe it is neither. Perhaps it is you making a connection to that God and gaining some of his wisdom for a brief moment. Much like walking into a bakery and smelling delicious baked goods, if you understand the connection I am trying to make.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:45 am

The connection aspect is exactly what I was trying to convey but I think you are also right on the other counts as well. I had not considered it in that light but I can definitely see that this would lead us to think like a god. Since thought is the precursor to action, thinking like a god helps us along our path to a godlike, heroic life. Thank you for helping me to see that.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:37 pm

sacredhaven679 wrote:
What confuses me is that you say to speak with the gods often... am I the only one among us who speaks and hears nothing in return?
Liolixli said about that image of thought that clearly wasn't theirs... yet, very rarely do I get that, or notice it at least.

The gods only participate in those conversations which they care to. Just like any normal person, they must find the conversation to be interesting.

They won't resolve your uncertainties for you, nor tell you how to live. If you solicit a type of advice that a human being would not want to give you, then probably the gods won't want to advise you on it either.

Quote:
I always assumed the gods didn't speak to us unless we were noticeable enough for their attention, and maybe not even then.

I think it has more to do with whether your current project is cool enough for them to want to be a part of it.

They like to see people doing adventurous or courageous things, and may even lend aid in order to see where the project might end up if the adventurer is afforded a means of victory.

Once you undertake such an adventure, you automatically become an exceptional person. Only exceptional people push themselves toward greatness.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]