View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 am



Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Irminsul 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
What do any of you know about Irminsul? I was looking up something entirely different last year when I stumbled upon depictions of it. Seeing it affected me so much, I started a carving of it.

I have researched Irminsul quite a bit, but I've learned in the short month of being here that there is an impressive collection of knowledge here probably not found through random internet searches. I was hoping to get personal perspectives, knowledge, and information from all of you.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k407 ... c01779.jpg
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k407 ... 4eedc3.jpg
I will have 8 crystals hanging from the curved branches and a 9th in the pinecone at the center to symbolize the 9 realms. The oak leaf is because oak trees hold important significance for me, the pine cone at the top symbolizes my fascination with the pineal gland and the pine cone as a sacred symbol, there are raven feathers mixed into the branches to appear as wings on either side and the bottom is fanned out like the tail of a raven as well as spreading roots. The woven pattern is symbolic of my heritage. I've already begun carving but it started snowing and I had to stop. Waiting for warm weather to continue!


Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:46 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 am
Posts: 142
This is beautiful Skuld The Norn, you're very talented. I hope you can keep us updated with more images as you progress.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Thank you, Odinsdatter! The symbolism means a lot to me, so I hope someone can give me personal input on the Irminsul "tree".


Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:15 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 am
Posts: 123
Whoa nicely done you're very talented , reminds me of a sword hilt .
Will have to check out irminsul never heard of it .


Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 am
Posts: 123
A cosmic pillar to hold up the heavens and connect to the nine worlds,to send and receive energy through sacrifice,possibly represents the tyr rune .


Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Thank you! I thought of a sword hilt when I stepped back from it lol.

I wonder how important Irminsul is to Odinism. I wonder about its connection to Yggrassil. I have read that it was possibly an actual structure where people would meet, but I don't know. The information is different everywhere I look. I think that's part of the appeal to me, the mystery.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 am
Posts: 142
Quote:
Ours is the path of our fathers, ours is that path which leads us to the central point from which all true paths ultimately spring. Ours is the path of enlightenment and furtherance, the ascertaining of true Holiness and wholeness in being through becoming… For the Irminist, that Holy central and unifying figure is undoubtedly the Irminsul, the greatest Germanic representation of the wholeness and holiness of Irmin or (the) Irmin-essence made manifest! Throughout the years, scholars have struggled to seek the one true definitive explanation to the phenomena- to find and proffer the true identity of who or what that figure ultimately is - be it a representation of a hypostasis of some God such as Ziu (Tyr) or Wodan, or simply the figurative embodiment of the collective magan and holiness of the Gods overall- the power of divinity,
the power of a unified body of the Gods themselves. This latter point of theory is commonly shared among many linguists and scholars who feel that there is nothing more indicative of the term Irmin/ Irminsul than to define it as ‘great’/ (the) ‘great pillar’. This seems reasonable enough when we trace the etymology of the term through the Gothic airkns (holy) to Proto Indo European *er- (denoting something which is gleaming, pure, or holy), and take into account its usage within word-compounds (in both proper names and as descriptive terminology), as J. Grimm suggests (1):


If you'd like the full read ...

http://irminenschaft.weebly.com/what-is ... insul.html

I had, also, not heard of this till your post ... thanks Skuld The Norn ... fascinating topic to delve into.


Last edited by Odinsdatter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.



Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
It is believed by some to be represented by the Öndvegissulur, the two wooden columns that would flank the high seat of the king, jarl, or clan leader.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Odinsdatter wrote:
Quote:
Ours is the path of our fathers, ours is that path which leads us to the central point from which all true paths ultimately spring. Ours is the path of enlightenment and furtherance, the ascertaining of true Holiness and wholeness in being through becoming… For the Irminist, that Holy central and unifying figure is undoubtedly the Irminsul, the greatest Germanic representation of the wholeness and holiness of Irmin or (the) Irmin-essence made manifest! Throughout the years, scholars have struggled to seek the one true definitive explanation to the phenomena- to find and proffer the true identity of who or what that figure ultimately is - be it a representation of a hypostasis of some God such as Ziu (Tyr) or Wodan, or simply the figurative embodiment of the collective magan and holiness of the Gods overall- the power of divinity,
the power of a unified body of the Gods themselves. This latter point of theory is commonly shared among many linguists and scholars who feel that there is nothing more indicative of the term Irmin/ Irminsul than to define it as ‘great’/ (the) ‘great pillar’. This seems reasonable enough when we trace the etymology of the term through the Gothic airkns (holy) to Proto Indo European *er- (denoting something which is gleaming, pure, or holy), and take into account its usage within word-compounds (in both proper names and as descriptive terminology), as J. Grimm suggests (1):


If you'd like the full read ...

http://irminenschaft.weebly.com/what-is ... insul.html

I had, also, not heard of this till your post ... thanks Skuld of the Norn ... fascinating topic to delve into.


Well, THAT'S interesting! Thank you so much! This was one that I hadn't found. So very fascinating!


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:20 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Tyrsman wrote:
It is believed by some to be represented by the Öndvegissulur, the two wooden columns that would flank the high seat of the king, jarl, or clan leader.


Aaarrgh! I could only find the description in German that won't translate. Do you have a link?


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Skuld The Norn wrote:
Aaarrgh! I could only find the description in German that won't translate. Do you have a link?


I can't remember exactly where I came across that but here are the two Irminsul links that I have bookmarked...

http://www.metalruby.com/pagan/irminsul.html

http://wotanklan.net/irminsul-cosmic-pillar/


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:28 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Also, I can not help but feel there is significance in the fact that the Irminsul is frequently depicted in a manner that it closely resembles certain components of the female reproductive system.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 am
Posts: 142
Quote:
Within the available Historical evidence, we are provided with a consistent image of the Irminsul’s exoteric function within cultic practice to the ancient Germans. From this, we can readily decipher its deeper, esoteric meaning and so be presented with a ‘whole’ picture (a realization of the Irminsul on the multifidic-multiune level) which clearly defines just how crucial the Irminsul was and is to German Odinist and Odinist dynamic, and of the awe-some power and being which is the pillar of Irmin. Among the handful of depictions of an Irminsul-shaped column in Germanic Bronze Age carvings, one peculiar image presents itself as most remarkable, and so deserves our particular attention here- the carving illustrates a sacrificial scene taking place before a standing column, quite unmistakable in its form as an Irminsul. Centrally located between and slightly below the curling arms of the column is a circle or sphere
that most probably represents (in the typically in-ornate manner of such carvings) an image or depiction of a God or God-form. What makes this prehistoric depiction so striking are the accounts of later historians which describe the erecting of a pillar or column by Germanic Odinist, upon which some image of a God was often placed or carved. This pillar was an
integral part in Germanic votive celebration and sacrifice, if only from a ‘symbolic’ standpoint rather than in practical application.

But that having been said, we must then ask, what or whom did such columns symbolize or represent? This very question, and the answers it generally elicits remain a matter of contention and debate among scholars, historians and Odinist alike to this very day. While such opinions do vary across the spectrum, most folk’s view on the matter generally falls within one of two genres of thinking:

Those who see the Irminsul as either a universal or world column, free from any and all specific inference to one God or God-essence.

Or,

Those who see the Irminsul as the world column, but as associated or representative of Ziu and his function as a ‘God of order’, or as ‘supporter of the Heavens’ or ‘original’ Sky Father or ruling deity (later to be usurped from his place and stature by Wodan).


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:37 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 am
Posts: 142
Tyrsman wrote:
Also, I can not help but feel there is significance in the fact that the Irminsul is frequently depicted in a manner that it closely resembles certain components of the female reproductive system.


I'm seeing that as well.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Tyrsman wrote:
Also, I can not help but feel there is significance in the fact that the Irminsul is frequently depicted in a manner that it closely resembles certain components of the female reproductive system.



I've seen the metalruby link a lot of times before. Glad to know you find it trustworthy.

That's interesting about the female reproductive system. I hadn't noticed that before because I was trying to picture the tree aspect.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:46 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 am
Posts: 142
Quote:
The term itself (Irmin) is an Old High German form drawn from an older, Gothic aírmana, which itself derives from the Proto-Germanic ermuna or ermana, and is related to Latvian (e)rms:
marvelous apparition, and Greek ormeuos: rushing furiously…interestingly, these terms are quite reminiscent of traits or characteristics typically attributed or known of Wodan: ormeuos brings our attention to Wodan as Dauis Drauhtins = the Lord of the Dead, and leader of the wild or furious host that rushes forth on the winter winds, the infamous Wild Hunt. The Latvian
(e)rms calls to mind Wodan as God of All-light, the repository of All-wisdom and All-being, the source of Armanic wisdom, the shining Armangot, the true manifestation of Artor (Ar-tor) himself. From the same Proto-Germanic root (ermana) is drawn the Germanic stem word
ermen [found in both Middle Low German (Ermenrík) and Middle High German (Ermenrich)], Old English Eormen (a name of Wodan) and Old Icelandic Jørmunr (another name of Wodan).


Pardon my quotes, I thought some might find this interesting.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Tyrsman wrote:
Skuld The Norn wrote:
Aaarrgh! I could only find the description in German that won't translate. Do you have a link?


I can't remember exactly where I came across that but here are the two Irminsul links that I have bookmarked...

http://www.metalruby.com/pagan/irminsul.html

http://wotanklan.net/irminsul-cosmic-pillar/


That second link is very interesting. I wonder how many of those theories or "facts" were written by biased christians, though. I find the evolution of the fleur de lis interesting, too. Hmmm.... I feel like I'm on the verge of some intellectual breakthrough concerning the Germans and the French involving my ancestor everyone thinks was from Nova Scotia. This fleur de lis thing just intensifies that feeling. And seeing it in conjunction with the Irminsul? My mind is going nuts! I'm not sleeping tonight. Thanks, Tyrsman lol.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:59 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm
Posts: 550
Odinsdatter wrote:
Quote:
The term itself (Irmin) is an Old High German form drawn from an older, Gothic aírmana, which itself derives from the Proto-Germanic ermuna or ermana, and is related to Latvian (e)rms:
marvelous apparition, and Greek ormeuos: rushing furiously…interestingly, these terms are quite reminiscent of traits or characteristics typically attributed or known of Wodan: ormeuos brings our attention to Wodan as Dauis Drauhtins = the Lord of the Dead, and leader of the wild or furious host that rushes forth on the winter winds, the infamous Wild Hunt. The Latvian
(e)rms calls to mind Wodan as God of All-light, the repository of All-wisdom and All-being, the source of Armanic wisdom, the shining Armangot, the true manifestation of Artor (Ar-tor) himself. From the same Proto-Germanic root (ermana) is drawn the Germanic stem word
ermen [found in both Middle Low German (Ermenrík) and Middle High German (Ermenrich)], Old English Eormen (a name of Wodan) and Old Icelandic Jørmunr (another name of Wodan).


Pardon my quotes, I thought some might find this interesting.


Don't apologize! They are interesting!


Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:00 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Skuld The Norn wrote:
I've seen the metalruby link a lot of times before. Glad to know you find it trustworthy.


"Trustworthy" is a relative term....with anything on the internet I always dial up my skepticism, metalruby does seem to use decent historical sources though.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Skuld The Norn wrote:
I find the evolution of the fleur de lis interesting, too. Hmmm.... I feel like I'm on the verge of some intellectual breakthrough concerning the Germans and the French involving my ancestor everyone thinks was from Nova Scotia. This fleur de lis thing just intensifies that feeling. And seeing it in conjunction with the Irminsul? My mind is going nuts! I'm not sleeping tonight. Thanks, Tyrsman lol.


It is often quite interesting how when you are looking for an answer to a puzzle, sometimes a clue will come from an unexpected source. Sleep is highly overrated anyway.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.