View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Irminsul 

Well, more trustworthy than a bible thumper page lol.

I desperately need to find someone who can sit down with me and help me sort through what I know, what I think, and what "evidence" I've found to lead me to my theories. I can just imagine some poor guy coming in with a full head of hair and leaving with half of it pulled out from the stress of trying to keep up and decipher my mind lol. My search to find anyone without some kind of agenda or biased or fluffy pagan ideals has been an utter failure.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:05 am

Skuld The Norn wrote:
My search to find anyone without some kind of agenda or biased or fluffy pagan ideals has been an utter failure.

THAT may be a near impossible task.

I am currently in going through a personal "defluffing". Reevaluating years of information that I have absorbed and trying to determine what came from sources that were either misinformed or just plain made up to fit somebody's personal opinion.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:33 am

Skuld The Norn wrote:
Thank you! I thought of a sword hilt when I stepped back from it lol.

I wonder how important Irminsul is to Odinism. I wonder about its connection to Yggrassil. I have read that it was possibly an actual structure where people would meet, but I don't know. The information is different everywhere I look. I think that's part of the appeal to me, the mystery.
In my opinion there must be a connection to Yggdrasil because Irminsul is said to bear the nine worlds, just like Yggdrasil. It definitly was a very sacred place.

Irminsul was located in the "Teutoburger Wald" forest in Germany, probably in the place Eresburg, and was destroyed during a war in the year 772 (so yes it was an actual structure).

The name Irminsul (Irmin's Pillar) has been named after the God Irmin, possibly a different name for Tyr.

Sorry to partially remove the mystery for you, Skuld.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:56 am

thunaraz wrote:
Skuld The Norn wrote:
Thank you! I thought of a sword hilt when I stepped back from it lol.

I wonder how important Irminsul is to Odinism. I wonder about its connection to Yggrassil. I have read that it was possibly an actual structure where people would meet, but I don't know. The information is different everywhere I look. I think that's part of the appeal to me, the mystery.
In my opinion there must be a connection to Yggdrasil because Irminsul is said to bear the nine worlds, just like Yggdrasil. It definitly was a very sacred place.

Irminsul was located in the "Teutoburger Wald" forest in Germany, probably in the place Eresburg, and was destroyed during a war in the year 772 (so yes it was an actual structure).

The name Irminsul (Irmin's Pillar) has been named after the God Irmin, possibly a different name for Tyr.

Sorry to partially remove the mystery for you, Skuld.

Mysteries are to be solved, thunaraz. There will always be mystery somewhere :). Thank you for your input!

There is a large recreation of Irminsul in a church. I'll have to find it but just more hypocrisy, if you ask me . Destroy what we hold dear only to replicate it in their houses of worship. Typical Vatican behavior, though.

It is disguised as a candelabra here: http://www.philipcoppens.com/irminsul.html

But I didn't realize how many there were in churches until I just did a quick search to find that one. Apparently, it's featured on candles, vestments, altars, carved on pillars, tiles, stained glass, and all sorts of things within many churches (old mostly). Now THAT is interesting!

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

That looks wonderful just drawn, can't wait to see it finished!

About your question, in Edred Thorsson's 'Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic' it is related to the Tiwaz rune (Tyr) -

"The aspect of the world-column expressed by the T-rune is that of the separator of heaven and earth. This separation creates a phenomenological quality, and is therefore necessary to multiversal manifestation as we know it. This column maintains world order, and protects humanity and the gods from the destruction that would come should the heavens (energy) and earth (matter) collapse into one another.
Tiwaz is represented by the Irminsul of the Saxons. This world-column is the axis mundi and has its heavenly termination in the pole star."

I hope that helps in some way.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Thank you so much, tanngnjost! For the compliment and the information.

It makes me think Irminsul is something more scientific, protecting us from the collapse of energy and matter. I'm not a scientist so now I'm wondering what in science looks like the shape of the Irminsul and would protect from such a disaster.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Skuld The Norn wrote:

It makes me think Irminsul is something more scientific, protecting us from the collapse of energy and matter. I'm not a scientist so now I'm wondering what in science looks like the shape of the Irminsul and would protect from such a disaster.

Viewing it in that particular light, if you look at depictions of the earth's magnetic field it is not difficult to see the irminsul column coming from the poles and spreading out to protect the earth from the suns radiation. It is more of an umbrella than a crossbeam but....

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
Skuld The Norn wrote:

Viewing it in that particular light, if you look at depictions of the earth's magnetic field it is not difficult to see the irminsul column coming from the poles and spreading out to protect the earth from the suns radiation. It is more of an umbrella than a crossbeam but....

Excellent point!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 am

Quote:

I hadnt thought about the 'actual' poles, and/or magnetism in relation to this, heres another quick tidbit from (the oh so ever reliable) wikipedia...

Quote:
The axis mundi (also cosmic axis, world axis, world pillar, columna cerului, center of the world, world tree), in religion or mythology, is the world center or the connection between Heaven and Earth. As the celestial pole and geographic pole, it expresses a point of connection between sky and earth where the four compass directions meet. At this point travel and correspondence is made between higher and lower realms. Communication from lower realms may ascend to higher ones and blessings from higher realms may descend to lower ones and be disseminated to all.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:21 am

tanngnjost wrote:
Quote:

I hadnt thought about the 'actual' poles, and/or magnetism in relation to this, heres another quick tidbit from (the oh so ever reliable) wikipedia...

Quote:
The axis mundi (also cosmic axis, world axis, world pillar, columna cerului, center of the world, world tree), in religion or mythology, is the world center or the connection between Heaven and Earth. As the celestial pole and geographic pole, it expresses a point of connection between sky and earth where the four compass directions meet. At this point travel and correspondence is made between higher and lower realms. Communication from lower realms may ascend to higher ones and blessings from higher realms may descend to lower ones and be disseminated to all.

This is awesome! It has given me ideas for my art, too! Thank you for sharing!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:25 am

I'm happy I found this message board where I can discuss Asatru on a high level with intelligent people. Your unique ways of viewing things give me inspiration and something to think about.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:15 am

thunaraz wrote:
I'm happy I found this message board where I can discuss Asatru on a high level with intelligent people. Your unique ways of viewing things give me inspiration and something to think about.

Same here. I feel like I found this place at just the right time.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:31 am

I think it would be a good idea to install a new Irminsul in Eresburg, it would be great news for all Asatruars.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:47 am

I think that would be a good idea. Who would do it? Would permission be needed by the government?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2