View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Suggestions 

I read via a kindle. what is the best version for the eddas? Is there any other suggested reading material I should look into?

Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am

The Asatru Edda by the Norrœna Society. I won't read the sagas until I can read and understand the Norrœnt version.

Tue May 06, 2014 1:13 am

RagnarRedMane wrote:
I read via a kindle. what is the best version for the eddas? Is there any other suggested reading material I should look into?

I am partial to the Benjamin Thorpe translation of the Havamal

Tue May 06, 2014 2:55 am

I would recommend comparing as many translations as possible. Subtle nuances created by a single word in any given stanza can make a difference in not just meaning but also understanding and applying the advice to your life.

That said, I have a deep respect for the Norroena Society and would not hesitate to purchase version.

Tue May 06, 2014 4:40 am

Norrœnt version as in the original manuscripts in Old Norse. The tense of the word "Norrœnt" (which means Norse) may be wrong; not really sure how that word works. Must be irregular.

Tue May 06, 2014 4:51 am

Tyrsman wrote:
I would recommend comparing as many translations as possible. Subtle nuances created by a single word in any given stanza can make a difference in not just meaning but also understanding and applying the advice to your life.

That said, I have a deep respect for the Norroena Society and would not hesitate to purchase version.

This is good advice. You'll get different messages from your reading based upon which translation you use because of the word differences. Seems minor at first, but it can alter the overall tone and personal interpretation very easily.

I should have specified in my previous comment that after I read several different translations of the Eddas in their entirety, and several translations of the Havamal in isolation, for just the Havamal I personally prefer the Benjamin Thorpe version....

I think that our opinions on the lore and translations of it on this forum will probably be quite diverse. It seems to be a very personal choice. That diversity in opinion may prove to be very helpful to you in your search of reading material.

Best Wishes

Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 am

Thank you all for the advice.

Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]