View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Althing 

I need some insight on the Althing or Althingi. I know of a few people here who know about the more political areas of the ancestors, so I would be very grateful for some help!

When was the Althing first used and was it the Vikings who began it or just naturally implemented it since it was their heritage?

Was the Althing used only in Iceland?

Was it something more of a Supreme Court kind of thing only for the most important issues or was it implemented on smaller scales for anyone at any time?

Was the Althing portable? Was it something that could be called to order at any time within any group or situation at any place they may be gathered, or was it something that only occurred at a certain place - like a courthouse in modern times?

Was it something that the Vikings would or could call upon during times of heavy dispute?

Was the Althing used to determine the guilt or innocence of a person and subsequently pass down sentencing on the guilty?

Finally: Althing or Althingi - does the spelling matter? If so, why?

Now, a new member of the forum recently asked about Forseti and it started to make me think about his role in an Althing since he was about justice. Would he have been called upon or in any way his council sought during an Althing? We have statues of the goddess Justice in our courthouses. Would Forseti be associated with an Althing in the same way?

Thank you in advance! :)

Tue May 06, 2014 1:57 pm

I found a book that might answer some of your questions. I will probably purchase this myself, so let me know if you get it, so we can discuss it while reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0140291156/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/183-8617003-6824222?redirect=true&tag=dragonbear

Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm

RedValkyrie wrote:
I found a book that might answer some of your questions. I will probably purchase this myself, so let me know if you get it, so we can discuss it while reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0140291156/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/183-8617003-6824222?redirect=true&tag=dragonbear

Thanks, Red! Someone contacted me about a few of these points and will help me more this weekend. It seems I was on the right track when I was 19 and was veered off later in life with these questions that confused me. Sometimes, we shouldn't doubt our initial ideas, regardless of age or those who attempt to put doubt into our minds. The spirit within always knows, right? ;)

I'll look for that book locally and let you know if I'm able to find it so we can discuss it. This one thing, one item that takes up no more than 3-4 pages of my book, has suddenly become much bigger than I had imagined. Looks like I have some work cut out for me! LOL

Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Skuld The Norn wrote:
The spirit within always knows, right? ;)

It does indeed.

I am glad you received some of the answers to your questions. If they came from our mutual source, he is certainly the right person to ask. He is a fount of historical and archeological knowledge.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:12 pm

RedValkyrie wrote:
Skuld The Norn wrote:
The spirit within always knows, right? ;)

It does indeed.

I am glad you received some of the answers to your questions. If they came from our mutual source, he is certainly the right person to ask. He is a fount of historical and archeological knowledge.

Yes! I have respected his wisdom all this time, so I am extremely grateful for his help! Thank you!

Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]