View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 am



Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Are wisdom and honor equal in importance in the Lore? 
Author Message

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
Hi, I have just joined the forum and am new to the Lore but I am learning. From what I have read, it seems that, including the Nine Noble Virtues, wisdom and honor seem to stand out, over and over as two of the most important qualities in the Lore, at least, it seems that way to me so far. Does the Odin Brotherhood consider this to be true? Is one considered greater than the other? If so, why? If not, why not?


Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm
Posts: 6
autumnapples wrote:
Hi, I have just joined the forum and am new to the Lore but I am learning. From what I have read, it seems that, including the Nine Noble Virtues, wisdom and honor seem to stand out, over and over as two of the most important qualities in the Lore, at least, it seems that way to me so far. Does the Odin Brotherhood consider this to be true? Is one considered greater than the other? If so, why? If not, why not?


This reminds me of an old thread I found entitled power and honor. The same points were made there as would be here about honor and wisdom.


Wed May 21, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
Thanks, Kyote- I will look for that thread.


Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 am
Posts: 73
Kyote wrote:
autumnapples wrote:
Hi, I have just joined the forum and am new to the Lore but I am learning. From what I have read, it seems that, including the Nine Noble Virtues, wisdom and honor seem to stand out, over and over as two of the most important qualities in the Lore, at least, it seems that way to me so far. Does the Odin Brotherhood consider this to be true? Is one considered greater than the other? If so, why? If not, why not?


This reminds me of an old thread I found entitled power and honor. The same points were made there as would be here about honor and wisdom.


Also, you may find this knowledge in Dr. Mirabello's book.


Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:35 am
Posts: 417
What you will find is that the Odin Brotherhood often doesn't have set definitions of a lot of things. The reason being is that we encourage people to make their own interpretations for most things. However, there are some set standards of beliefs (for example, we will never call anyone who thinks Odin is a metaphor for Satan an Odinist.). This is why we work so well at discussing things, because we are free to interpret, but we also share common roots of beliefs.

To answer your question, in my personal opinion, wisdom and honor correlate. One without the other can be bad.
A man with wisdom but no honor will use his wisdom for misuse. This is not an Odinist.
A man with honor but no wisdom will get himself into bad situations for no good reason. This *can* be an Odinist, but usually not.
A man with wisdom and honor will use his wisdom for honor and good. This is an Odinist.

Often times you'll see that in your quest for both honor and wisdom they will come quite naturally. Wisdom is something you gain from experience, knowledge is from books. Honor is also something you can from experience, depending on how you define it.

So, no, one is not more important than the other, because both compliment each other.

Much like how a hilt is not better than the blade because you need both to even use it properly. Much like how a bow is not better than an arrow, so to is honor and wisdom.

I hope this helps. And remember, this is my personal opinion, others might disagree, and they have every right to. (Never forget that debate is necessary for perspective, and perspective is necessary for knowledge and wisdom.)


Thu May 22, 2014 12:31 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
sacredhaven679 wrote:
What you will find is that the Odin Brotherhood often doesn't have set definitions of a lot of things. The reason being is that we encourage people to make their own interpretations for most things. However, there are some set standards of beliefs (for example, we will never call anyone who thinks Odin is a metaphor for Satan an Odinist.). This is why we work so well at discussing things, because we are free to interpret, but we also share common roots of beliefs.

To answer your question, in my personal opinion, wisdom and honor correlate. One without the other can be bad.
A man with wisdom but no honor will use his wisdom for misuse. This is not an Odinist.
A man with honor but no wisdom will get himself into bad situations for no good reason. This *can* be an Odinist, but usually not.
A man with wisdom and honor will use his wisdom for honor and good. This is an Odinist.

Often times you'll see that in your quest for both honor and wisdom they will come quite naturally. Wisdom is something you gain from experience, knowledge is from books. Honor is also something you can from experience, depending on how you define it.

So, no, one is not more important than the other, because both compliment each other.

Much like how a hilt is not better than the blade because you need both to even use it properly. Much like how a bow is not better than an arrow, so to is honor and wisdom.

I hope this helps. And remember, this is my personal opinion, others might disagree, and they have every right to. (Never forget that debate is necessary for perspective, and perspective is necessary for knowledge and wisdom.)


This does help, a lot actually- thank you! I appreciate your weapons simile too- very clear and easy to remember. I made a mistake by posting too much too soon, so I am going to hold back and only post when I have a question I truly can't answer or around which I want other opinions in order to deepen my own. I agree with you re: perspective and wisdom. Thanks again.


Thu May 22, 2014 4:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.