View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Ourobouros 

It would be incorrect to associate Nornes (Urdh, Verdandhi and Skuld) to Ourobouros symbol?
Past and future are different polarities of the same measure separated uniquely by the present time, so it merges the past with the future, the origin whit the destiny separated only by the notion of the here and now, this instant.
With this in mind, the similarity between Nornes and Ouroburos are more striking, since both depict the beginning is always written after becoming past to resurface again as future, because everything was change what it is today and tomorrow will be.
The destination is all that one day future was changed by this, the possibility and achievement. The present is the product, consequence, result of yesterday's, the beginning. The present is also the possibility of creating a new future and consequently a new past from there.
Either change your past, focus on your future here and now. Interesting paradox.

Sorry for bad english.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original in Portuguese:

Seria incorreto associar as Nornes (Urdh, Verdandhi e Skuld) ao símbolo Ourobouros?
Passado e Futuro são polaridades diferentes da mesma medida separados unicamente pelo tempo presente, assim, se funde o passado com o futuro, a origem com o destino separados somente pela noção do aqui e agora, deste instante.
Tendo isto em mente, a similaridade entre as Nornes e o Ouroburos ficam mais marcantes, pois ambos retratam o inicio sendo sempre escrito, se tornando passado logo após, para ressurgir novamente como futuro, pois tudo que foi, altera o que hoje é e o que amanhã será.
O destino é todo aquele futuro que um dia foi alterado pelo presente, a possibilidade e a realização. O presente é fruto, consequência, resultado do ontem, do inicio. O presente também é a possibilidade da criação de um novo futuro e consequentemente de um novo passado a partir dai.
Quer alterar seu passado, foque no seu futuro aqui e a agora. Paradoxo interessante.

Desculpem pelo inglês ruim.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:46 am

I think you raise a valid point. Why wouldn't the Norns and Jormungandr be connected in some way? The Ourobouros in Norse mythology is Jormungandr, the tail grasping snake who encircles Midgard and is the offspring ( thx Tyrsman :) of Loki and a giantess. I don't know of any literature that connects the Norns and Jormungandr but I think it's worth looking into... if you come up with anything further, please post it here. :)

Last edited by autumnapples on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Autumnapples,

Thanks for the tip.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 am

autumnapples wrote:
Jormungandr, the tail grasping snake who encircles Midgard and is the sire of Loki and a giantess.

I believe you mean Jormungandr is the offspring of Loki and a giantess.

I had never really connected Jormungandr to the Norns in any other way than is presented in the lore. But I can easily see a link between fate/destiny that is represented by the Norns and the Ouroborus, which to me has always been a symbol of the eternal cycle. Since so many different cultures have their own version of the Ourobous I think it is pretty much simply a matter of personal interpretation.

I found this link in my symbology file, it is a somewhat peculiar site that has different versions of the serpent:
http://www.crystalinks.com/ouroboros.html

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 am

Tyrsman, thank you for your cooperation and for the link.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]