View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Heaven 

I am studying the Eddas and i come across the use of the word "heaven" quite a bit. I thought that this was a xtian word but is it used in Odinism? I thought that there was not a 'heaven' per se? Is this just because they were written by Snorri as a xtian to keep the Church happy or is this actually a phrase that would have been used? Storm

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:
I am studying the Eddas and i come across the use of the word "heaven" quite a bit. I thought that this was a xtian word but is it used in Odinism? I thought that there was not a 'heaven' per se? Is this just because they were written by Snorri as a xtian to keep the Church happy or is this actually a phrase that would have been used? Storm

"Heaven" comes from the Old English "Heofen" from Proto-Germanic *Himinaz, from PIE *Kemenos, all meaning "sky" or "Heaven". It was originally an indigenous Germanic word but hijacked by the Christians, just like Hell/Hel.

I sometimes refer to Frigg as the "queen of Heaven", as her name Imo comes from PIE *[Djewsona] Prija, "the beloved lady of Heaven".

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Translation issues. I just as Tyr was referred to by the Romans as Mars.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Thank you brothers for your input.

Can I just ask then, when referring to heaven that would mean the worlds above Midgard i.e. Asgard, Alfheim, Niflheim, perhaps Vanaheim and Jotunheim and Hell would mean Svartalfheim, Hel and Muspelheim being those worlds situated below Midgard? I'm not meaning in a 'literal' sense, but metaphysically speaking - so that when I am reading, for me it falls into place?

When I departed from Xtianity, I also left behind the concepts of Heaven and Hell, so I am now trying to seek the Odinist metaphysical concepts of both.

Do I make sense? Storm

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:56 am

You make perfect sense Storm.

If I hear somebody use the term heaven, I usually rely on context to determine meaning. If that fails I simply assign the default definition of being along the lines of an ideal afterlife. Personally, I try not to use the term unless I'm am talking with Christians.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 pm

Thank you Tyrsman.

The images of "angels singing", "fluffy clouds" and St Peter at the Gates still haunt me, therefore, I am more comfortable with the metaphysical world view than what is preached in the Bible. Storm

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 am

I have come across the following which goes some way in helping me better relate to this :

Quote:
Some, but not all, believe that those who have lived a very evil and treacherous life go to Hifhel, (a.k.a Hiflhel). This is a place of torment. The remainder go to Hel, a place of calmness and peace, from which the name of the Christian Hell was derived. However, Hel is much closer to the Christian view of Heaven than to its concept of Hell

Storm

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:56 am

The Gnostics, deemed heretical for having "special knowledge" of their God. allowing them to get closer to salvation instead of promoting the Catholic doctrine that everyone has a chance at salvation regardless of special knowledge, said in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, verse 113: "And the disciples asked Jesus, "On what day will the kingdom come? <Jesus said:> It will not come while people watch for it; they will not say: Look, here it is, or: Look, there it is; but the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and men do not see it."

So, if you go by that it is not a place you enter into, but you create amongst you. Even the Tibetan Book of The Dead in Buddhism argues that their notion of the afterlife is created by man's own shortcomings, fears, or ability to surpass his fears and weaknesses i.e., Samsura. So, if the Gospel of Thomas transcription is accurate, then Christ was advocating for the ideals of Heaven to be guidelines for a utopian society to be strived for on earth, and that it was already within man's reach to create it, just as the idea of democracy today is evolving, and not supposed to be something perfected, or finalized.

But, to control people, the Catholic Church twisted the message to have people worship death, to think it was a separate place, out of reach, that life was terrible, and not worth living, not worth living to the fullest. And the consequence of this is that in monotheism people have their churches, where things are sacred, and outside things are mundane from, the Latin Mundi (of the world). Odinists by contrast believe the divine manifested in everything, and was not separated by sacred space/mundane space.

And after the Council of Nicea finishes the cannonization process of accepted, and rejected Biblical works, they ironically appropriated this "heretical, special wisdom" of the Gnostics for their own ends in, and make it sound like some cheap knock off a Buddhist mantra like, Namaste (I bow to the divine within me) even though that may not have been their intention:

Luke 17:21: You won't be able to say, 'Here it is!' or 'It's over there!' For the Kingdom of God is already among you."

Matthew 13:44 "The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:26 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]