View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
"Dress Up Asatru"- Also Ego and Odinism? 

I am enraged today- I have been for about a week in building in seeing my local community expand with a mish-mash of Live-Action-Role-Playing (LARPing) and Odinist rituals.

I have seen people declare themselves Clergy almost immediately after conversion to this path- and worse, other people who do not know wiser following them.

Where I live is a center for Odinism with the security of the Deitsch blessed lands of this state working with the Iroquois and Lenape....but I am hoping that this "tearing" I am feeling- there are REAL Odinist, trapped by responsibility in between all this garbage.

These false-Odin worshipers in their huge robes, Mjollnir pendants the size of clocks, using Wiccan rites with Odinist names makes me angry.

It makes me want to rip away every piece of fake-dress up cloth they wear and burn it. It makes me want to smash every bottle of mead they drink not out of reverence, but to intoxicate themselves to the point of stupidity.

Leaving my kindred was a start- now that I see what is surrounding me in the community, the less I want to interact with most of them any longer.

Along with this phase- is a renewed fervor in Nazi politics among these foolish people. I am not going to profane my Gods by ascribing mortal ideologies to them- If I ever had a strong UPG- it was when I was told, by many Gods

"Those who worship Us in public do not usually understand Our will." I trust the Gods, but I am angry at people.

There are now bands dressing up in Russian traditional costume and calling it "Viking"- It's bad enough that Gods are being honored for a cherry-picked history of time of "Vikings" while ignoring thousands of years of agrarian culture and peaceful exploration and trade.

The other problem is this: In my state, I am legal clergy. I actually bothered to go to college and get two degrees that are acceptable for chaplaincy. I am not usually a person prone to "rages" (My C-PTSD is more of the "Flight"-response)...

But, on the other hand, seeing this mockery of what I hold so dearly to my heart, my education, my heritage, my family history, and my intellect is just so overwhelming.

I want to force them to visit the cemeteries of their ancestors and care for their graves- like I did. I want to see them honor ALL the Gods- not just the comic-book or "Association approved" ones. I would like to see people who are called by Gods few know and learn from them. But this community has Thorsmen, Odinsvolk, "Freyavolk" and...well, I think that is all the names of the Gods they can usually remember. They are too used to just recalling the words "God" or "Satan" to recall anything more. The only Freyrsman I know left 6 years ago to "go solo".

I want to scream: "YOU IDIOTS! WHY WOULD YOU INTENTIONALLY INSULT/NEGLECT A GODLY BEING IN SPEECH AND ACTION- YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!"

....but, of course, I'm "just a Lokean". Perhaps the best way to avoid chaos is to honor it as part of the Gunningunap- then it will not seek out human attention.

There are people creating business to sell "Real Odinist" items. Other than gifts and what my spouse and I make, I fail to see how iron-on patches with God-names is particularly traditional- especially when the same people running these faux-causes are known Oathbreakers anyway- that the COMMUNITY broke their oath to "Sever Wyrd" if the Oaths broken were not amended.

So...Oaths are now "As we feel like it?!"

In reading another thread that was linked in another post about the Secrecy of the Odin Brotherhood-- I can tell you truthfully, without the existence of this page right at this moment, right here as I wish to rip these wolf-pelts and generic tunics off of the backs of these "peacock-pretenders"

I know you are here- you aren't reading this post wearing a $4k reindeer harness over a pair of wolf-fur booties and drinking out of a horn carved from simulated Aurox. I would like to believe that you are real, like me, people who blend into modern life as little as needed and then find sanctuary in the home with my family and those I choose to invite into my life.

Perhaps, this is just me venting. Some claim I have "ego"- but I see no shame in being proud of one's accomplishments or intellect if it was hard-won through study in the same way a violist learns to play his instrument.

Elimination of all Ego is the invention of the Eastern Gods. I want to know how "Ego" is defined for the Odinist. Is it what leads us to or away from Honor?

Thank you in advance. I hope this anger will lead me someplace productive.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:40 am

Tyrienne wrote:
I am enraged today- I have been for about a week in building in seeing my local community expand with a mish-mash of Live-Action-Role-Playing (LARPing) and Odinist rituals.

I have seen people declare themselves Clergy almost immediately after conversion to this path- and worse, other people who do not know wiser following them.

Where I live is a center for Odinism with the security of the Deitsch blessed lands of this state working with the Iroquois and Lenape....but I am hoping that this "tearing" I am feeling- there are REAL Odinist, trapped by responsibility in between all this garbage.

These false-Odin worshipers in their huge robes, Mjollnir pendants the size of clocks, using Wiccan rites with Odinist names makes me angry.

It makes me want to rip away every piece of fake-dress up cloth they wear and burn it. It makes me want to smash every bottle of mead they drink not out of reverence, but to intoxicate themselves to the point of stupidity.

Leaving my kindred was a start- now that I see what is surrounding me in the community, the less I want to interact with most of them any longer.

Along with this phase- is a renewed fervor in Nazi politics among these foolish people. I am not going to profane my Gods by ascribing mortal ideologies to them- If I ever had a strong UPG- it was when I was told, by many Gods

"Those who worship Us in public do not usually understand Our will." I trust the Gods, but I am angry at people.
Your anger over this is understandable. To invest the time and energy that you have in a community only to see it become twisted and misdirected would be incredibly frustrating.

Tyrienne wrote:
There are now bands dressing up in Russian traditional costume and calling it "Viking"- It's bad enough that Gods are being honored for a cherry-picked history of time of "Vikings" while ignoring thousands of years of agrarian culture and peaceful exploration and trade.

In reading another thread that was linked in another post about the Secrecy of the Odin Brotherhood-- I can tell you truthfully, without the existence of this page right at this moment, right here as I wish to rip these wolf-pelts and generic tunics off of the backs of these "peacock-pretenders"

I know you are here- you aren't reading this post wearing a $4k reindeer harness over a pair of wolf-fur booties and drinking out of a horn carved from simulated Aurox. I would like to believe that you are real, like me, people who blend into modern life as little as needed and then find sanctuary in the home with my family and those I choose to invite into my life.
While I could care less how somebody else chooses to live their life, the "dress up Vikings" that you describe are little more than children who are trying to convince themselves and others of something rather than prove themselves to the Gids. There is not one single thing that you can purchase that will bring you one step closer to the Gods. It is our actions that do that, and those must originate from within.

Tyrienne wrote:
Perhaps, this is just me venting. Some claim I have "ego"- but I see no shame in being proud of one's accomplishments or intellect if it was hard-won through study in the same way a violist learns to play his instrument.

Elimination of all Ego is the invention of the Eastern Gods. I want to know how "Ego" is defined for the Odinist. Is it what leads us to or away from Honor?
I think one must have pride in order to grow. If you do not take pride in your work, your achievements, what is there to drive you to do better? The problem comes from over-rating your own success. Despite what today's society would have us think, not everyone is a winner, not all accomplishments deserve a trophy. To relate it to another current topic, ego is simply another addictive substance that can either take control of your life or be beneficial when used properly.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Thank you, Tyrsman.

A Druid asked me "How does it feel to use 100% of your ego."- he's a wildlife biologist.

I replied to him "The same way it feels for you to correct someone who is incorrect about biology. Your job is to be a biologist. My job is to be a reliable chaplain that safeguards the ways and virtues of our ancestors. Would you accept someone with no accomplishments, no college education, and no experience representing Biology? That is how I feel about Odinism."

My accomplishments are two college degrees, a decade leading a kindred and more years "guesting" as clergy for other kindreds....in addition to birth INTO two families who both honor Odin... a claim few other in the community can make for an adult old enough to have almost grown children of my own. (if I chose that path...I did not.)

College was difficult- but it got me my certification for Chaplaincy and I excelled. I even had my MA thesis pre-accepted and published before my MA program lost funding. (But that accomplishment is unrelated to Odinism- My MA was to be in Linguistics)

I also learned the great lie that "All Chaplains must attend Seminary or get a Masters". Considering the pay rate for a Chaplain, hospice and hospitals do not have enough of even the "larger" faiths. I have found myself welcomed at every door without question- and I have attended classes in psychology, grief counselling, and life/death transition- on my own, through my own interest to do so at the time. It is the location that determines the role of the Chaplain- not Christianity nor our government. All I need to prove is I am accepted as legal clergy per my faith. (Easily enough) and occasionally they ask where I attended university.

I intentionally attended the best religions college in the US at the time- and learned the ways of most obscure and also popular non-Christian religions...and yet, I can still, if asked, help a Christian and read to them from Their books verses that do not offend my ethics or Oaths that comfort the person in need of comfort. (Isaiah, usually-it would also technically work for Judaism since it's old testament)

In the rare case there should be a Baha'i', Zoroastrian, Hindu, or Sufi in addition to the myriad of pagan faiths from Wicca to Druidry-I am competent, and if I do not feel competent, I know of other clergy and people of their own faiths to ask or to "give" the person to if they wish.

Yes. I am proud of what I have accomplished. I am proud because it allows me to DO something few others even want or consider to do.

I also believe being a true polytheist has given me the gift to say "Your God/s are with you" with all sincerity. The Christian God is not the God who comes to me- but I respect the existence of all paths. In learning about Islam, for instance, I learned of all the works I could find of the Sufi who traveled and traded with our people- beyond Ibn Fadlan (who is mostly Michael Crichton's words anyway.)

There are temples in Persopolis in Iran decorated in Futhark Runes. Cyrus the Great built us temples in his cities so OUR travelers had places to worship- and it is said by some scholars- these temples to Gods outside of the Zoroastrian dominated region at the time, may also have provided room and board for our travelers. There is not enough to prove this one way or the other yet.

To me, learning is important.... and there is never true danger in a strong heart of "losing the way" in the pursuit of greater wisdom.

It's when we stop learning wisdom ends.

Which is why I DESPISE new converts "Suddenly called to Odinist Priesthood". It seems as if becoming Odinist to some seems to inflate them with a false-sense of "mystical answers". As for me, I am personally STILL studying- both alone, with all of you, and with chosen teachers I wish to learn from.

YES! There is mysticism and true interaction with our Gods....but generally, Our Gods don't utter words we would utter on our own, anyway. They confuse true experience with wishful thinking and extension of their own lack of learning and prejudices.

For example- I was asked to contribute an article for a book. The topic they asked me to cover was a topic I was once against- but with time and drastic reckoning, I was reprimanded and told to change my point of view.

Even our kindest, gentlest Gods are capable of discipline. They do not punish us, they teach.... and like the best teachers, they force us to learn more about our errors and THEN return to right all we may have harmed.

So, the Odinist who I did not give my respect to in 2012? Now, by the will of my Patron, I will be writing on their behalf as their defender. It's honorable, and it's fair judgement and shows the love of our Gods for our people and for us who listen.

I know no other path like Odinism.
Sometimes, though, I secretly wish I was not a "public figure" at times, but then again... I am only "public" under series of Alias not by my name, appearance, or any other descriptor. People see what I write. As a Chaplain, only local people know I am one, and they do not also know me as a writer- I'm just another reliable Odinist clergyperson in an area of all kinds of Odinists.

I like that most assume my aliases are someone else they do not know.

No one has sent me hate-mail in years....but checking my inbox is always terrifying from the threats I used to block and discard.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:53 am

I am always a little leery of people who are new to Odinism and decide on a particular course right off the bat. Gothi, shaman, Völva, berseker, and declaring themselves a devotee of a specific God or Goddess...these are all things that cannot just be jumped into like you are creating an RPG character. I will concede that there are those who are called first and then learn the ways but I feel that is a rare exception and runs the risk of the individual creating rather than finding oneself.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:01 am

Tyrsman wrote:
I am always a little leery of people who are new to Odinism and decide on a particular course right off the bat. Gothi, shaman, Völva, berseker, and declaring themselves a devotee of a specific God or Goddess...these are all things that cannot just be jumped into like you are creating an RPG character. I will concede that there are those who are called first and then learn the ways but I feel that is a rare exception and runs the risk of the individual creating rather than finding oneself.

In my experience, the Odinists who Stay are the ones who hear Woten or Frigg's call first and realize they are children of the Gods.

Anything outside of that only exception: titles, patrons, and Sudden Drastic Oathing- is honestly embarrassing.

I was raised with these Gods. As an adult- it did not make me an instant-chaplain. I did not have a Patron until I was 27 years of age after years of work with Woten (in particular) and the Gods of My Family- and I did not enter my first kindred as its leader.

Our Goethe at-that-time was spectacular back then- almost a decade ago- his way now is clouded and he is crowded by drunkards and fools instead of true Odinsvolk and those who truly wished to learn.

He ended up running ritual as "guest" at many kindreds as tribes once- now he is simply a sad friend my spouse and I do not know how to encourage back to greatness.

He will not join any event where he is not Goethe. I really do not have any idea how to take that. I appreciate the "not backing down"- however, I also see "Soon-to-be-lost" if he doesn't "snap out of it" and choose from the honorable of the "convicts" he is surrounded by and starts new.

On the otherhand- he is my equal, as are many others now. I think he needs to recall that, too.

Tyr brings understanding that human laws broken do not necessarily mean dishonor- however, vices are vices and the well of wyrd is toxic with the foolish and intoxicated.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:02 am

"Odinism" or" Asatru" is becoming more popular because of mainstream movies like "Thor" and TV shows like Vikings. This is a fad produced by the mainstream. Why? Because Odinism and Ethnic Pagan religions have been making a HUGE resurgence. In the Caucasus mountains an ancient priesthood that never went extinct has found a resurgence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhaz_neopaganism

That nation of Abkhazia now has its own version of paganism as a national religion. A few years ago a local scholar was killed my Musliums because he was publishing works on ancient pagan rites.

In Lithuania the last Pagan nation is Europe to be converted in the 14th and 15th century crusades has also had a huge resurgence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romuva_(religion)

Iceland has regular pagan festivities along with Russia and all across Europe. They are creating a counter culture especially in North America to keep us away from our roots and the lore.
My advice? Do not associate at all by these people infected by propaganda, like standing out in the sun even if it is unintentional you will get a sun burn. Do not let these weak people infect your mind. Remember the advice in the Odin Brotherhood book, the weak will exclude themselves. When the fad dies and they will all leave but do not be corrupted by this mess.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:19 am

It is worth noting even among the Pershmega (Kurds fighting ISIS) their ancestral religion of Zastroarianism is making a come back. All across the world people will live and die fighting for their ethnic roots from the oppression the Abrahamics have wrought on the world. Continue your work and ensure the lore survives.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:24 am

Well said Bjorn Berserk. I live in a strong Christian country with only about 1% not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have noticed over the past three to four months, many of these Christians becoming disgruntled about their faith, Catholicism in particular. This article https://kelseymunger.com/2015/09/14/im-tired-of-being-a-christian/ is being quoted by many of them --- which I find amusing. Does this mean they will turn their backs on Christianity? I doubt it. I know some of them and whilst I enjoy spending time with them, I know they don't have the strength of character or backbone to 'step out of the fold'. Stormr

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:43 am

As has been said by wise ones here, we should not fear those of different blood or disgruntle their faith. It is not Abraham that is our enemy, it is nothing. We revel him for his tri-part in the destruction of our faith but yet ironicly I would argue we each own some commitment to them to dwell in the sands. Who here has not sought consult from the Djinnns?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:45 am

Baleyg wrote:
As has been said by wise ones here, we should not fear those of different blood or disgruntle their faith. It is not Abraham that is our enemy, it is nothing. We revel him for his tri-part in the destruction of our faith but yet ironicly I would argue we each own some commitment to them to dwell in the sands. Who here has not sought consult from the Djinnns?

My focus in theology school was actually Islam (I had to choose one of the three monotheistic faiths, I chose the one I knew the least about)...so I cannot claim I have not... :)

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:17 am

I am getting sick of looking at sand, probably part of the reason I look at the sea so much, apart from a childhood habit.
It would be interesting to hear about the gods of the local people here but I think it might all have been lost when the Spanish Catholics rolled through.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:52 am

Hroda Alwynsson wrote:
I am getting sick of looking at sand, probably part of the reason I look at the sea so much, apart from a childhood habit.
It would be interesting to hear about the gods of the local people here but I think it might all have been lost when the Spanish Catholics rolled through.

One would be very surprised. Our polytheistic community in Pennsylvania was protected by both the Lutherans as well as the Anabaptist among the Amish- The Hexerei and Braucherei are both ancestor worshipers. The Hexerei traditionally stuck to the Germanic Gods, in the case of Braucherei, some used Christian religious iconography to the same purpose.

Braucherei and Hexerei were and still are an important part of Pa Deitsch life in even the most obscure communities as healer/clergy where modern medicine is still not particularly welcome except as a last resort.

I have no doubt if you look at your Spanish Catholics you will find the iconography of Saints used as a mask for the ancestral Gods particular to your region.

Catholicsm has been a mask for African religions, native Americans, and the Irish to keep their own traditions alive in the form of the Saints.

Saint Brigid, for example, is the very same as the Celtic Goddess Brigid in domain, I am told by my Celtic husband.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:54 am

Hroda Alwynsson wrote:

Welcome to the wound we all share. I am blessed to be in tree-jail but we should always respect the "ghosts" of the land. It is a concept that has meaning after much contemplation. A change of "ghosts" are often recommended when the soul grows weary. Absorb what you can and then continue. This is the way of the wanderer. Who grows more weary but wiser with every step forward.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Tyrienne wrote:

The other problem is this: In my state, I am legal clergy. I actually bothered to go to college and get two degrees that are acceptable for chaplaincy. I am not usually a person prone to "rages" (My C-PTSD is more of the "Flight"-response)...

But, on the other hand, seeing this mockery of what I hold so dearly to my heart, my education, my heritage, my family history, and my intellect is just so overwhelming.

I want to force them to visit the cemeteries of their ancestors and care for their graves- like I did. I want to see them honor ALL the Gods- not just the comic-book or "Association approved" ones. I would like to see people who are called by Gods few know and learn from them. But this community has Thorsmen, Odinsvolk, "Freyavolk" and...well, I think that is all the names of the Gods they can usually remember. They are too used to just recalling the words "God" or "Satan" to recall anything more. The only Freyrsman I know left 6 years ago to "go solo".

I want to scream: "YOU IDIOTS! WHY WOULD YOU INTENTIONALLY INSULT/NEGLECT A GODLY BEING IN SPEECH AND ACTION- YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!"

....but, of course, I'm "just a Lokean". Perhaps the best way to avoid chaos is to honor it as part of the Gunningunap- then it will not seek out human attention.

There are people creating business to sell "Real Odinist" items. Other than gifts and what my spouse and I make, I fail to see how iron-on patches with God-names is particularly traditional- especially when the same people running these faux-causes are known Oathbreakers anyway- that the COMMUNITY broke their oath to "Sever Wyrd" if the Oaths broken were not amended.

So...Oaths are now "As we feel like it?!"

Thank you in advance. I hope this anger will lead me someplace productive.

My sympathies. You are not alone. I left the Celtic/Gaelic communities a long time ago, because druidry had been infiltrated by wiccans and Christians, and most followers of the old ways were just role playing. They did not have honour, they were weak and cowardly, pacifistic, politically correct. I came onto this path alone, and taught myself much of what I know, and saw through the fluff right away.
As for politics, my leanings come from years of independent study outside of the propaganda machine we call school. And if that has led me to find much of the national socialist politics appealing, well, so be it. It has nothing to do with playing a role. And no one would ever see me and think neo Nazi. I don't consider myself that, either.
I still honour my Gaelic roots and gods, but the path of asatru has always called to me, it just took me a long time to answer that call. But part of what quickened that process was seeing all the fakeness in druidry, and finding a strength of will, and honour in the northern religion.
Weather this storm. The sheep are just following trends, and it won't be long before they jump on some other band wagon, leaving behind only those few who truly did feel a call to the old ways.
See it this way. Amongst all these fools playing a role, there are a few who are truly seeking, but they need true leadership, and with so many fools about, they cannot so easily find the path. Be there, find those individuals. More often than naught, at first glance, they will appear like all the others— insincere, but look deeper. Mingle about the herd, and find those who have heard the call, and guide them out of the chaos.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 am

Tyrsman wrote:

My patron deity is manannan. He was guiding me since childhood, but I was about 20/21 years old when I finally discovered his name/identity, or at least the name he chose to let me call him by. Whether that is his true identity is irrelevant. It's like gandalf in lord of the rings. He is known by many names given to him by the various peoples of middle earth. I think that is often what we do with our own spirit guides and gods. Sometimes, I think manannan has similarities to the vanir god. Why is his name eluding me at this moment? You know who I mean. He was the chief of the vanir, father of freyr and Freya. Whatever. The reason I say this, is manannan is an old god, outside of the tuatha de danann. But he was welcomed by the folk. He is a sea god, a god of storms, and a shape shifter. He played the role of a mediator to the tuatha, by dividing the territories. His elemental nature makes me think of the vanir god.
As soon as I post this, I have to look up his name! This is driving me nuts! I know his name! I think about this deity often and now all of a sudden I can call it to mind! Grrrr!
Anyway, my original point is we may have felt a calling for a long time and just failed to recognise it for what it is, not knowing the name of the deity, and then one day, we stumble upon some tidbit of knowledge and eureka! Suddenly something clicks into place and it's like, yes!!! This is right! This is what I was looking for! And so the path reveals itself and our journey begins.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:31 am

Tyrienne wrote:
Hroda Alwynsson wrote:

One would be very surprised. Our polytheistic community in Pennsylvania was protected by both the Lutherans as well as the Anabaptist among the Amish- The Hexerei and Braucherei are both ancestor worshipers. The Hexerei traditionally stuck to the Germanic Gods, in the case of Braucherei, some used Christian religious iconography to the same purpose.

Braucherei and Hexerei were and still are an important part of Pa Deitsch life in even the most obscure communities as healer/clergy where modern medicine is still not particularly welcome except as a last resort.

I have no doubt if you look at your Spanish Catholics you will find the iconography of Saints used as a mask for the ancestral Gods particular to your region.

Catholicsm has been a mask for African religions, native Americans, and the Irish to keep their own traditions alive in the form of the Saints.

Saint Brigid, for example, is the very same as the Celtic Goddess Brigid in domain, I am told by my Celtic husband.

You are quite right about many of the saints being originally deities of the old ways. Brigit was one of the Irish favourites, and they could not end the worship of her. Imbolc is her festival. Isn't that also Freya's festival? The calving season? First milk and first hints of the coming spring? I'm not quite as informed on the Norse traditions, but I have celebrated yule for as long as I have been on the pagan path. Samhain and Yule have always been my favourites, for some reason.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:40 am

Fand wrote:
Sometimes, I think manannan has similarities to the vanir god. Why is his name eluding me at this moment? You know who I mean. He was the chief of the vanir, father of freyr and Freya. Whatever. The reason I say this, is manannan is an old god, outside of the tuatha de danann. But he was welcomed by the folk. He is a sea god, a god of storms, and a shape shifter. He played the role of a mediator to the tuatha, by dividing the territories. His elemental nature makes me think of the vanir god.
As soon as I post this, I have to look up his name! This is driving me nuts! I know his name! I think about this deity often and now all of a sudden I can call it to mind! Grrrr!

To the northmen he is known as Njord.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
Fand wrote:
Sometimes, I think manannan has similarities to the vanir god. Why is his name eluding me at this moment? You know who I mean. He was the chief of the vanir, father of freyr and Freya. Whatever. The reason I say this, is manannan is an old god, outside of the tuatha de danann. But he was welcomed by the folk. He is a sea god, a god of storms, and a shape shifter. He played the role of a mediator to the tuatha, by dividing the territories. His elemental nature makes me think of the vanir god.

To the northmen he is known as Njord.

Thanks. I actually remembered his name this afternoon while my daughter and I were playing in the rain. I looked up at the dark sky, and told my little one, look, njord is making it rain! Haha! Funny how that works!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]