View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Viking Age Nicknames 

Some might find this article interesting:
Viking Nicknames

Edited to add: The article itself contains a link to the thesis which it is about. In addition to citing the major references for the paper, the first chapter also contains information on the sagas themselves that is extremely informative of itself.

Last edited by Tyrsman on Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 pm

very interestign article indeed tyrsman thanks for sharing

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Very good article. Sometimes it would be good to assign such a nickname ...!

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:

Not necessarily, in the town I attended high school I was/am referred to as "(First Name) Baby-Snatcher"....because I have called the police on several sociopathically abusive parents my own age to get their children into better situations. (An older relative has always stepped up in these cases.)

It was both derogatory and laudatory; depending on whom you speak to.

The abuses to those children in those cases was profoundly disturbing. The first was a little girl was locked in her bedroom with a bucket and a soda bottle full of water at the ages of 3-4 while her parents would go to parties leaving her home alone. Her parents (and I) were 19.

The most recent was last year when I had to turn in a former kindred-brother for starving his newborn "to save money on diapers and formula" to feed his drug addictions. He was already being prosecuted and asked me to be a "character witness" for him. Instead, I gathered all his family/friends and together we shamed him and had his child removed and given to an aunt with fertility issues.

I honestly do not mind the nickname. I notice the people who use it in a derogatory way tend to know they are not 'doing right' by their children, anyway. Seeing how people use that name in front of me tells me a great deal about their character considering both these stories were locally newsworthy regarding the parents. (I never had my name published regarding these incidents outside of case-records).

I also call the police on complete strangers who violently beat their children in public- I like it best when the parents suddenly hear me doing so...then I can make eye contact as I continue my phonecall to 911 about how I am watching a mother strangle a toddler or kick a preschooler. I have been threatened by some- I simply laugh and put my phone on speaker and say,

"I am on the phone with 911 regarding your assault of your child, could you repeat what you just said to me louder?"

These people deserve more than public humiliation...discipline is fine, but there is a clear line all these people long-crossed that made their behaviors grossly irresponsible. They do not deserve the honor of raising children if they cannot know their role as a loving parent instead of as ham-fisted, flailing monsters who cannot understand extreme violence towards innocents is never appropriate.

No. I do not call the police for spanking. I am talking indisputable abuse in all situations of extreme nature and without doubt of wrong doing.

I am very glad to no longer have connections to that town to force me to go there any longer- it is not where I was born, nor ancestral land. I live on my ancestral land right now- the people are higher quality overall than the inbreds of that place.

So... let's say my name was "Kris" (it isn't), I have been called "Kris Babysnatcher" or "Kris The Babysnatcher". The old naming scheme still works- that town was mostly Mennonite with many Pennsylvania Dutch indigenous Odin-worshiping families interspersed between.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:29 am

I would say that earning the title "babysnatcher" under those conditions is highly honorable. Also, an excellent example of a nickname that requires insight to fully understand. I like that it's a bit more ominous sounding than something along the lines of Resucuer of the Innocent.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Tyrienne wrote:
Norse Storm Dragon wrote:

Not necessarily, in the town I attended high school I was/am referred to as "(First Name) Baby-Snatcher"....because I have called the police on several sociopathically abusive parents my own age to get their children into better situations. (An older relative has always stepped up in these cases.)

It was both derogatory and laudatory; depending on whom you speak to.

The abuses to those children in those cases was profoundly disturbing. The first was a little girl was locked in her bedroom with a bucket and a soda bottle full of water at the ages of 3-4 while her parents would go to parties leaving her home alone. Her parents (and I) were 19.

The most recent was last year when I had to turn in a former kindred-brother for starving his newborn "to save money on diapers and formula" to feed his drug addictions. He was already being prosecuted and asked me to be a "character witness" for him. Instead, I gathered all his family/friends and together we shamed him and had his child removed and given to an aunt with fertility issues.

I honestly do not mind the nickname. I notice the people who use it in a derogatory way tend to know they are not 'doing right' by their children, anyway. Seeing how people use that name in front of me tells me a great deal about their character considering both these stories were locally newsworthy regarding the parents. (I never had my name published regarding these incidents outside of case-records).

I also call the police on complete strangers who violently beat their children in public- I like it best when the parents suddenly hear me doing so...then I can make eye contact as I continue my phonecall to 911 about how I am watching a mother strangle a toddler or kick a preschooler. I have been threatened by some- I simply laugh and put my phone on speaker and say,

"I am on the phone with 911 regarding your assault of your child, could you repeat what you just said to me louder?"

These people deserve more than public humiliation...discipline is fine, but there is a clear line all these people long-crossed that made their behaviors grossly irresponsible. They do not deserve the honor of raising children if they cannot know their role as a loving parent instead of as ham-fisted, flailing monsters who cannot understand extreme violence towards innocents is never appropriate.

No. I do not call the police for spanking. I am talking indisputable abuse in all situations of extreme nature and without doubt of wrong doing.

I am very glad to no longer have connections to that town to force me to go there any longer- it is not where I was born, nor ancestral land. I live on my ancestral land right now- the people are higher quality overall than the inbreds of that place.

So... let's say my name was "Kris" (it isn't), I have been called "Kris Babysnatcher" or "Kris The Babysnatcher". The old naming scheme still works- that town was mostly Mennonite with many Pennsylvania Dutch indigenous Odin-worshiping families interspersed between.

Step back. Breathe. What sets our gods apart is that they can laugh. Ergo so can we. Sometimes things are not literal, it is up to us to work that out. Storm

Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
I would say that earning the title "babysnatcher" under those conditions is highly honorable. Also, an excellent example of a nickname that requires insight to fully understand. I like that it's a bit more ominous sounding than something along the lines of Resucuer of the Innocent.

I like your version much better...

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Tyrienne wrote:
Tyrsman wrote:

I like your version much better...

The beauty of it is that they mean exactly the same thing.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm

The nickname i carry on which is being called as The Swede is something i am always honoured to have because of my ancestors and the love i carry for this nation which make me really gald that people call me like that

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]