View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
AFA Reading List 

I finally finished the Volsungasaga. I wanted to post this link to the AFA reading list. The Odin Brotherhood book is on their reading list, by the way.
I have read 7 books on the list as well as many that aren't.
How can one preserve the Northern Lore if one does not know it?
The ynglingasaga is next.
Good luck. I hope someone finds this list as helpful as I have.
http://asatrufolkassembly.org/afa-reading-list/

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:52 pm

I know and respect many who are members of the AFA, yet over the years I have felt that it is drifting rapidly towards a form of orthodoxy - and perhaps losing the vision held by the Asatruar in places like Iceland, Norway and northern Europe.

Still the reading list seems sound.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 am

There are always loose aspects of orthodoxy and orthpraxi in regards to religion includes polytheistic religions like ours. It is part of what makes a religion. But the extreme black and white aspects of orthodoxy/praxy are all the west really knows from religion. The majority of all asatruar in the world are converts. They have largely held onto the monotheist ideaologies but thrown a Norse name on them. So it makes sense that they would be moving towards that. Sad as it may be

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:37 am

And allow me to point out this small thing as well: While I am sure a good number of those who walk in the path of the
Brotherhood do in fact consider their way to be a religion, not all are thus. Some of us consider our connection with the
Gods and Goddesses to be something 'other' than religion. Perhaps more of a spirituality and indeed there is a difference between
religion and spirituality. It seems to me that some members of the various Odinist (and others) organizations have gone
a significant distance towards being an orthodox religion. Others have not, but the fact is that some have drifted from the old ways.

My opinion only, of course.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm

And allow me to point out this small thing as well: While I am sure a good number of those who walk in the path of the
Brotherhood do in fact consider their way to be a religion, not all are thus. Some of us consider our connection with the
Gods and Goddesses to be something 'other' than religion. Perhaps more of a spirituality and indeed there is a difference between
religion and spirituality. It seems to me that some members of the various Odinist (and others) organizations have gone
a significant distance towards being an orthodox religion. Others have not, but the fact is that some have drifted from the old ways.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Fjolnir wrote:

I agree. At the same time, in doing so, these various organizations helped prisoners and soldiers who can now openly practice their religion/spirituality, wear their hammers, have them on their gravestones, eat pork and drink wine, etc.
For many people, that doesn't matter, but to many more it does. What I see in these small victories is the loosening of Christian societies grip.

What I don't want to see is a "Southern Baptist Convention" in Odinism, if you will. Unfortunately, that is what appears to be happening in our world. There are many different ways that people use to follow the Northern path and each one seems to believe they are the most correct. I am just happy whenever I meet anyone who has any sort of respect for our ways. I believe in the Gods and Godesses literally. I have also met many people who view them as archetypes. Some who see them as an archetype and literal. I think that my beliefs are more in line with what I know of the Brotherhood, but I do enjoy Blots and Sumbels. I think it is great that there are groups like the Odinic Rite and the AFA. I support the AFA. They have great programs to help and educate our folk. We need overt and covert groups...and perhaps a bridge between the two.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:14 pm

A religion is a belief system that exists as a mental exercise and does not exist outside of rituals/services, True Odinism is a way of life and code of honor lived daily for the honor of the Gods and the desire to create a honorable and helpful Legacy to our future generations of future Odinists.

This is just my point of view- others may differ.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Fjolnir wrote:

For me personally this is true. I was never comfortable with the whole concept of religion (irrespective of which religion). I think it was the whole process of doctrine - being told how, what and where to do things. My relationship with the Gods and Goddesses is a spiritual quest driven by something more primal within - having them in my daily life, speaking to them when the need arises, connecting with them daily - means more to me than being a 'member' of a 'religion'. However, I also understand that we are all different, we all need different things in our lives in order to survive and I understand that there are many who feel more comfortable with the 'religion' concept. We are not to say which is right and which is wrong. IMPO only. Stormr

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]