View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Lightning struck wood 

When I found my lightning struck tree...
I had some wood from a tree job I did that I thought was struck by lightning. The wood looked charred and looked like it had healed over itself over the years. I wasn't sure though, because it is a Poplar and some Poplars are black in the middle. This blackness looked charred and only went down one side. I still wasn't sure.
I am currently building my new house literally by hand...right down to milLing the lumber myself with a chainsaw. Today I was visiting an old man, ****** off about some work things and just decided to take half a day off. Plus it's raining and lightning.
I had made a post on Facebook to my small friend list about how I was willing to trade my skills if someone with a large property would allow me to come cut trees for me to mill for my house and also for firewood. The old man saw that and took me into his backyard and pointed out 20 giant oak and hickory trees he said I could have if I would split 3 specific ones he pointed out he wanted for firewood. Then he showed me one tree. He said, "I want this one to come down first, it was struck by lightning while I was standing on the back porch drinking beer and blew this chunk of the trunk out and even blew a hole.into the ground at the base." He turned his head and I pulled a chunk of wood off of it in case he were to ever change his mind. Haha. I doubt it though. I've been looking for the past 2 years.
I.hope this encourages someone.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Something else worth mentioning:
Some trees develop things called cankers. Basically it is a lesion that develops and heals over.
At first glance I thought that is what happened to this particular tree, but after having an eye witness account and looking at the difference between a canker on a pine tree and this hickory that had been struck.....the wound was the same shape as a canker, but the difference is that the lightning struck tree had the actual wood BLOWN out of it in the middle. This is why he wanted the tree cut.
As I was happily walking along on my parents property I got to looking at a hickory tree my mother has been on me to cut down.I had been thinking that was just a canker as well, but upon reflection, I recall getting a phone call when I was stationed up in Alaska that lightning had struck the tree behind the barn and shot a limb into the ground like a spear, missing my prized truck by a foot. Then I noticed the smilarities.
The main difference between a canker and a lightning stoke is the wood blown out of the middle. It also depends on the type of wood.
Cankers I have noticed are more common on pines.
These two particular hickory trees are giants with limbs stretching all over the sky. Apparently what happened is that a particular limb was struck and it went to "ground".
You could not visibly see the path of the lightning on the outside like man pictures on Google show, but you could see where it went to ground due to the wood that was blown out at the base of the trunk.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Good find.
Big problem here is lack of trees, living on the coast with everything inland being desert, but you never know.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:26 am

Hroda Alwynsson wrote:
Good find.
Big problem here is lack of trees, living on the coast with everything inland being desert, but you never know.

Well like I say, I looked for two years and now to get this lightning struck wood will require a great deal of work.
If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 pm

I would say fate brought you the tree. What are the chances honestly? Since I have ready the OB book I have been on the look out for trees that have been struck by lightning (I live in a heavily forested area) and I have not yet for certain found a tree struck by lightning. I am contemplating building a lightning rod and climbing a large tree and mounting it. Haha
Good find though.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
I would say fate brought you the tree. What are the chances honestly? Since I have ready the OB book I have been on the look out for trees that have been struck by lightning (I live in a heavily forested area) and I have not yet for certain found a tree struck by lightning. I am contemplating building a lightning rod and climbing a large tree and mounting it. Haha
Good find though.

You should try that. NO JOKE...I had been thinking the same thing for about 6 months brother! Then that happened.
If you do it let me know how it goes. I would just about do it anyway just cause it sounds cool. haha.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]