View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Odin in a dress. 

One must also consider whom they face on the battlefield, with what weapons and in what arena the challenge is to be met. Also, consider that warriors often etched or painted protective Rune bindings and Helms of Awe on shield, helm and weapons. Rune fetters were utilized to instill battle fear in order to paralyze foes with terror, not to mention those which protected the receipient from the bite of Iron or Steel? What about the ferocious strength and tirelessness of the Berserker? Are these "advantages" considered dishonorable acts or merely inherited personal traits or gifts from the gods? Of these I say NO! One should relish his or her strengths, whether they be hard won through struggle and study or are inate personal traits. To be sure, one will KNOW when he or she fights a weaker foe and also is aware of unfair advantage! The dishonor comes into play when one knowingly follows through fully aware they have risk nothing or have no chance of failure or defeat!

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:45 pm
Quote:
And would not using magic on the battlefield be using an advantage?

Y'all make it out to sound like even the slightest sign of non-manlyman-ness is an utter blasphemy. I wasn't implying that in the least. I personally see no issue with it, or those that chose to do such in their practices. But then I did work alot as a chaote not long ago, so that may be why I am so loose with magical practices.

Ulfhedinn, you take the meaning of my post wrong, but which is not entirely your fault. My post was more directed towards the other members here you responded to my previous threan entitled; 'Rules of Tyr'.

I believe Fire_inthe-Heart, answered it for me. Weapons and armor with runes of power should be allowed to be used, but not when their use is a dishonorable act.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm

No Brother, I am not ripping your post as you suggest here:

Quote:
Y'all make it out to sound like even the slightest sign of non-manlyman-ness is an utter blasphemy. I wasn't implying that in the least. I personally see no issue with it, or those that chose to do such in their practices. But then I did work alot as a chaote not long ago, so that may be why I am so loose with magical practices.

I do understand your points, I was addressing the previous note about woman warriors in my last post. Your thoughts about perceptions of warriors and magic as a womans occupation, and the the male warriors perceptions of the same is well noted. I also understand you were not implying that anyone that practices magic is womanly. No worries brother, I for one understood your post, and was not making a light of your thoughts, nor a value judgement against a fellow brother.

Indeed, such role perceptions were the same in many cultures.

I wanted to add the noble history of our warrior women as a side note. We could mention Queen Boudica if we look at the Celtic realities of warfare as well. Being of Mixed Nordo / Celtic Background, I wanted to note that even among the Celts, women were reveered as warriors when the call was put forth.

No Brother, I for one am not attacking your premise, Just adding thoughts on the concept of female warriors, of which i know there are a few who frequent our board. My Toast goes out to you Valkyries! And also those in the service of their countries respectively of either gender.

Brother Fire in the Heart! Once agian, I could not agree more with your thoughts on warfare! I concur with you as to the post you made. Excellent points!

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:45 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know that much about seidh, but I noticed earlier it was refered to as "shamanistic magic." It is funny that ours is the only culture I've heard of that considers Shamanism "womens work."

Try the Viking trilogy by Tim Severin, it's a work of fiction but based the authors strong historical knoledge, the main character is a man with some aptitude in seidh.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 pm

Okay, I'm seeing where everyone is comming from now and apologize for misunderstanding. I suppose I have a habit of getting defensive and/or offensive when there really is no need. But as I have said before, live and learn. Learning is why I am here afterall.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:54 am
Learning is why I am here afterall.

Hail Brother,

Learning is why we are all here and my awakening is young and I have much to learn in the ways of our ancestors.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Quote:
I have a habit of getting defensive and/or offensive when there really is no need

One need not appologise for ones warrior or shall I say "Wolf Nature..." :wink:

No worries Brother... we are a society of warriors, here is where we speak our minds and express our thoughts. A true man need not worry about social graces unless he is in a sacred ritual... then again... A warrior acts his will!

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Given our current corrupt society, there are foolish "professors" publishing articles claiming Odin, as a shaman-like character, crossed gender lines.

If any of these professors encounter Odin, I suggest they NOT challenge his manliness. They will discover how a warrior defends his honor from insults.

Tue May 03, 2016 1:41 am

Thor disguised himself as a woman in one instance that we know of. He did so in order to infiltrate, reclaim, and kill.

Tue May 03, 2016 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2