View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Called by a certain God/Goddess 

Of course, I think Odin did have a hand in my discovery of the OB, but I was really drawn into it by Idun. Was anyone else drawn to Asatru by a certain God or Goddess?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 am

I would seem that the calling of many of us has come from a God or a Goddess. Many claim Thor, some Odin, and I have heard many say that there have been Goddesses involved.

The Lady Idunna is a fair Elder to be called by.

Coyote

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 am

A relative of mine now long dead told me it was time to return to the old ways of my kin. During which I felt there was a god in disguise watching and listening.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 am

It is mostly the Vanir who talk to me...but the first one to challenge me was Heimdall.

~Stormdancer

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 am

Odin kept calling to me and he still pulls me towards him. Or maybe that is my ancestors.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Tyr. I consider him to be sort of a distant uncle. One who Ive never seen, but gives some guidence where its needed.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm

It was Heimdall for me. I took a particular interest in him when I was about 14 but I wasn't ready to hear what he was saying until years later, at which point he spoke up again. Freyja, Odin, and Njord were important in this regard as well.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:53 am

kvenrinn wrote:
It was Heimdall for me. I took a particular interest in him when I was about 14 but I wasn't ready to hear what he was saying until years later, at which point he spoke up again. Freyja, Odin, and Njord were important in this regard as well.

I find it very interesting how calculated some of these instances seem to be. At an earlier time I had come to learn about Odinism but still wandered many paths, and I surely was not ready to delve deeper into the information and ideas. While I am not an Odinist, I am very interested in it, and I do believe in "meaningful coincidences." I think the gods are aware of our potential, and may come back for us when we are "ripe for the picking."

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm

I definitely think there are some the Elder Kin *mark* for further interest. I also think the Elder Kin are quite good at planting seeds...slipping off for a long while, and watching to see what happens.

Their concept of time is much different than ours. The length of our lives is pretty puny compared to theirs. Like the OB, the Elder kin think in terms of centuries, not days or weeks...which can get kind of frustrating on this end. Time is not linear to the Elder Kin and they find most of our notions of *science* primitive and laughable...

I think the Elder Kin have a definite plan in mind and they can spot those who will help them achieve their goals. They can only affect so much change on their own here...this is not their *world*...so they are constantly on the lookout for more allies.

~Stormdancer

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Skogkatt wrote:

I find it very interesting how calculated some of these instances seem to be. At an earlier time I had come to learn about Odinism but still wandered many paths, and I surely was not ready to delve deeper into the information and ideas. While I am not an Odinist, I am very interested in it, and I do believe in "meaningful coincidences." I think the gods are aware of our potential, and may come back for us when we are "ripe for the picking."

In my experience there are NO coincidences. =)

~Stormdancer

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Stormdancer wrote:

Quote:
Their concept of time is much different than ours. The length of our lives is pretty puny compared to theirs. Like the OB, the Elder kin think in terms of centuries, not days or weeks...which can get kind of frustrating on this end

Well said!

One common objection to our movement is why was it "unseen" and invisible for so long?

What is a few hundred years to a god?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 pm

For quite some time now I have had a deep conviction for something unknown. I have felt like I was always needed for a mighty battle. When I came upon Odinism, I felt a sense of pull from Thor. I know most people probably like Thor, but I felt deep down inside, that I needed to learn from him. I almost feel that I will be needed for something that I can't explain. I know that the feeling can be understood on here. Maybe someone could explain more about this to me. I want to learn as much as humanly possible, and further my journey into the realm of the gods.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 pm

vikingthunder wrote:
For quite some time now I have had a deep conviction for something unknown. I have felt like I was always needed for a mighty battle. When I came upon Odinism, I felt a sense of pull from Thor. I know most people probably like Thor, but I felt deep down inside, that I needed to learn from him. I almost feel that I will be needed for something that I can't explain. I know that the feeling can be understood on here. Maybe someone could explain more about this to me. I want to learn as much as humanly possible, and further my journey into the realm of the gods.

Your help will be needed in a battle soon.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 am

When I was a lot younger, while most kids had sports posters, I had Marine Corps recruiting posters. I was the first in my family to join anything like that. So even as a pre-teen, I felt the call to fight. Now, even as an adult, I feel my spirit is one that offers protection where it is needed. If/when Thor needs me, I will answer the call.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 pm

When I was 12 a man appeared to me with a blue hat and a cloak and there was a a black void where an eye should have been. And he held a spear. In a heavy accent he said my name followed by "You are not listening to me. You must listen better." I had never read any books on Norse Mythology prior to that encounter. Although, I had questions about my sense of identity, but my mother's Norwegian/German side had compiled a geneology book, which gave me a sense of purpose and meaning shortly before that vision occurred. That is what Jung refered to as synchronicity a.k.a. "meaningful coincidences." Although, my comprehension of Scandinavian languages isn't entirely fluent, the allfather would sometimes call to me by names like Gøgling (small cuckoo) or he'd say entirely archaic things in English like "In a purple land a feather shall fall." I asked my lord what that meant and he said that it refered a prophesy having to do with Curland (Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania presently). Such experiences only reinforced my lord's beliefs that I was worthy to serve him and those of equal rank within the sect. The rest of the gods really don't speak verbally to me at all. And even if allfather were to, it would be usually several if not many years before he called to me again.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:30 pm
Profile YIM

Take this for what it's worth.

A couple weeks ago, I was on a weeklong fishing trip in northern Canada. While there, I began to experience Tyr, up to and including dreaming. When I returned, before I could talk to my very pagan wife about, I saw that Mrs. Bear had pulled my Eddas off the shelf and was pouring through them. Seems that Freya showed up in her dreams while I had been gone.

Interestingly, she's not Odinist or Odinist or Asatru.

I think that if we go by the strict historical record as left us in the sagas, we don't have a lot of evidence of single God patronage. There is much more ancestor and land spirit veneration. Exceptions, such as Egil mentioning Odin a time or two, come to mind. In modern days, we seem much more inclined to focus on the God/Goddess that calls to us, myself included.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm
Profile WWW

Interesting post, Bear Warrior.

Whatever the sagas say, my experience is that individuals in the Brotherhood are more focused on the gods and goddesses, rather than land spirits and so forth.

Indeed, I suspect the down-playing of the gods in the sagas was a result of the Christian environment in which they were written.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:37 am

Well in younger days i would have replied Thor, but I am no longer young and strong I do have to reply Odin as my guide in my quest for a diferent kind of power, altrough I never been physicaly stronger.
The odinist way to see the world is the way i have seen it since men of god tried to make me something I´ll never be, over and over again. For decades I thought I am alone. Now I know i have brothers and sisters seeking knowledge!
Hail to all of you

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I think it really deals with the Dragon consciousness. People who are not locked with this gift can't pick out key things in everyday life. Symbolism in everyday life is key to figuring out what can be done to keep the balance. What drew me to this brotherhood is the fact that my family descend from The Scion Of Odin around the time the La Zouche family were petty kings of Boughton, England. I'm related to one of the hoods. The Green family believe that they are descended from Robin Hood, Robert De Vere and his father was Odin. Its all interconnected with the dragon bloodlines and personally myself the scythians and the Gothica. I would be considered Kin to Athnaric of the scythians because i'm related to multiple cousin lineages. Here is green family history. Now you can see why i joined.

http://www.redbirdacres.net/greenehistory.html

regards, Mark

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Last edited by north on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next