View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Childhood of Thor 

There's a great song named simply "Thor" by the band Rebellion. In the beginning, according to the song, young and mighty Thor is sent away by Odin to live with "the keepers of the lightning" until he matures enough to control his temper and power.

This part of the song has been bouncing around in my head because it's a tale of the thunder god I've never read. Does anyone know if it's based on a real tale or made-up for the song?

Sat May 05, 2012 12:04 pm
Site Admin

A good question.

I can recall one myth about the gods as children and it makes me wonder if they do indeed have a childhood. The one myth I recall is about Vali, and a day after his birth he grows up and avenges Balder.

The Váli myth is referred to in Baldrs draumar:

Rindr will bear Váli
in western halls;
that son of Óðinn
will kill when one night old—
he will not wash hand,
nor comb head,
before he bears to the pyre
Baldr's adversary. - Ursula Dronke's translation

Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 am

This story of Váli is the one that got me thinking. If his birth and growth to adulthood in one day is heralded for it's uniqueness, it implies that other gods experience a more lengthy childhood. I find it intriguing to think of a young Thor sent off to learn and grow. I just wish I could find literature with more detail...

Here are the lyrics as a point of reference:
http://www.absolutelyrics.com/lyrics/vi ... llion/thor

And the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFs5yyayVI

Sun May 06, 2012 6:28 pm

In my search for more information, I uncovered a site with a TON of great stuff. I just wanted to share...

http://www.thorshof.org/thor.htm

I haven't found anything related to this topic in their literature, but I did find an image of a child Thor standing in front of Jord, Earth Mother.

http://www.thorshof.org/jordpic.htm

Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 am

The part about Vali not combing his hair certainly mirrors life in that I recall in Lee M. Hollander's English translation of Heimskrigla, it was said that in the saga of Harald Fairhair that Harald vowed not to comb his hair until he united Norway under his rule.

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
A good question.

I can recall one myth about the gods as children and it makes me wonder if they do indeed have a childhood. The one myth I recall is about Vali, and a day after his birth he grows up and avenges Balder.

The Váli myth is referred to in Baldrs draumar:

Rindr will bear Váli
in western halls;
that son of Óðinn
will kill when one night old—
he will not wash hand,
nor comb head,
before he bears to the pyre
Baldr's adversary. - Ursula Dronke's translation

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Profile YIM

I think I read and recall a story that Thor was unmanagable in childhood because his Mother Jord, Odin kept her identity secret, was a giantess on or of Gaea (earth) and he did not comprehend his phyiscal strength. So it would make sense he was sent where they could help him with that. And I understood, Odin went in search of a strong earth woman to intentionally make Thor stronger than anyone in the relms and on earth. He wanted a warrior son and got it . Thor was exceptional size for an AEsir with limitless will. My understanding and Any corrections welcome.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for reviving this discussion, Vanir21. I think I'm on the trail of some origins...

From the Skaldskaparmal:
Quote:
IV. "What figures should be employed to periphrase the name of Thor? Thus: one should call him Son of Odin and of Jörd, Father of Magni and Módi and Thrúdr, Husband of Sif, Stepfather of Ullr, Wielder and Possessor of Mjöllnir and of the Girdle of Strength, and of Bilskirnir; Defender of Ásgard and of Midgard, Adversary and Slaver of Giants and Troll-Women, Smiter of Hrungnir, of Geirrödr and of Thrívaldi, Master of Thjálfi and Röskva, Foe of the Midgard Serpent. Foster-father of Vingnir and Hlóra." ...

I really happened on that from a book my wife got me for Yule last year called A Devotional: Honoring Thor and Family by Robert James Etter. It's really more one guy's perspective, and some I agree with some I don't, but he did some research. He details the early years of Thor being sent to foster parents, Vingnir and Hlora and quotes a book named Teutonic Mythology by Victor Rydberg. Apparently, Rydberg based his information from the quote above as well as a spattering of information from the Edda Prologue Gylfaginning.

From what I can tell, the entire story is an expansion of the very basic information quoted above. I wish I had more to go on, but this is at least a start.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 am

I agree Tranquil chaos.
This is the reason that Thor sometimes uses the name Vingthor and Hlori in honour of his foster parents.
In Frith always

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

When it says that Vali killed Hod, does that necessarily mean he did battle with him to kill him?

Seems to me it would be poetic justice if the death of Hod had been an unforseeable accident, since the death of Baldr kind of was.

In that event, Vali could have been a normal baby at the time, who just did something incredibly unlucky that lead to Hod's death.

There is quite a lot of information missing from the lore. It's fortunate that as much has survived as has survived, because the gaps show us that much was lost.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]