View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Which is your favourite aesir or vanir? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 am
Posts: 17
I'm curious which do you like best and why?

My favorite is Loki. Because he is HILARIOUS!


Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm
Posts: 269
Location: Japan
DirtyLizard wrote:
I'm curious which do you like best and why?

My favorite is Loki. Because he is HILARIOUS!



Mmm that's hard to answer.

I'd say freyja, reasons are personal :)


Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:36 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 am
Posts: 82
I identify most with Odin and Hel, with Freyja a close runner-up.

But I don't play favorites, I will work with any of them, as they are all wiser than I and have something to teach. I also see them differently than a lot of people, and that affects my choices.


Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 am
Posts: 17
Niflreikr that is a good reply. In what way do you see them differently than others? If that's not too personal a question.


Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 537
I do not have a "favorite." That is like telling me to pick a favorite family member; however, as with family, I do have an Aesir I am most close to-- the lady Frigga. The reason is that we are quite similar.


Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 am
Posts: 82
DirtyLizard wrote:
Niflreikr that is a good reply. In what way do you see them differently than others? If that's not too personal a question.


How I view the gods in general is very complicated, and I've been typing it out. But to fully explain how I see it, is becoming quite voluminous, and it may end up being a book that I'll publish. Suffice to say for now that I do not see the Edda as being something to be taken at face-value, but holds deeper meaning if you can unlock the metaphors it uses to explain things.

In terms of seeing Odin, Hel and Freyja differently....

Odin. People who take the Edda literally, or subscribe to the secular anthropologist's ideas fall into calling him a god of magic and war, and leave it at that. In fact, you do not often see Odin engaging in warfare directly. Rather, if we look at the Edda metaphorically, we see a much more complex character. One who is always seeking knowledge and advancement for himself, and then shares this with his creation: humanity. He is a shamanistic god, one who is willing to undergo ordeal after ordeal to gain his goal. In emulating him, we will advance physically, mentally and spiritually faster than those who do not, but it will cost us, as it cost him.

Freyja is the most active of the goddesses. While most see her as a glassy-eyed, somewhat ditzy nymphomaniac, I think if you look deeper into the Edda and other sources, you will find a much more queenlike and glorious goddess. Though she is a sort of patroness of lust (not long-term love, that is Frigg's domain), warfare, magic, etc. Like Odin, she walks the worlds, and has many names because of this. She is the prototypical catwoman -- she goes where she will, when she wills to, and gives no thought to whether or not anyone else approves. I think one can gain much more insight to her personality by reading about the celtic goddess The Morrigan, whose attributes make her a dead-ringer for Freyja (and in fact, I believe the celts were given trust of the way of the Vanir, and Germanic peoples were given trust over the ways of the Aesir, when both were being genocided by christianity).

Hel. Most just see her as the disfigured daughter of Loki. But again, if we read the Edda metaphorically (and the sagas) and with wisdom, we get a very different picture. She appears frequently in the Edda and Sagas as the horrible ogress who contends with heroes and gods alike. Her lessons are hard (thus the imagery of the horrible ogress), but when they accept her in her ogress form, and open their mind to learn her mysteries, she becomes the beautiful maiden that serves the Mead of Poetry. I see her as the goddess that transforms us. Death is but the most stark transformation we can readily witness, but she often works hand-in-hand with Odin in sending people through their ordeals from which they emerge stronger and more advanced than before -- and receives precious little thanks for it.

All three have provided a constant presence, even as other gods and spritis have come to teach me lessons, and then backed off, these, and Thor, have stayed the entire time.

Others will have different gods that stay with them on a long-term basis,the gods deal with each individual as they need to be dealt with. Such is the way with mothers, fathers, older sisters and brothers.


Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 am
Posts: 17
Wow. Niflreikr that kind of response is exactly the reason I started this topic. That was very insightful and I thank you.
If you ever start writing a book on this as you say you may I would love to read it. I'm still learning about all this and although I'm going through the eddas and the voluspa etc. I feel like I need to hear other peoples feelings on the gods. If you ever felt like coming back to this and talking about any of the other gods I would be grateful.

Of course I'm still excited to hear from everyone on this subject! :D
The gods are a fun bunch to discuss! haha.


Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm
Posts: 269
Location: Japan
Niflreikr wrote:
DirtyLizard wrote:
Niflreikr that is a good reply. In what way do you see them differently than others? If that's not too personal a question.


How I view the gods in general is very complicated, and I've been typing it out. But to fully explain how I see it, is becoming quite voluminous, and it may end up being a book that I'll publish. Suffice to say for now that I do not see the Edda as being something to be taken at face-value, but holds deeper meaning if you can unlock the metaphors it uses to explain things.

In terms of seeing Odin, Hel and Freyja differently....

Odin. People who take the Edda literally, or subscribe to the secular anthropologist's ideas fall into calling him a god of magic and war, and leave it at that. In fact, you do not often see Odin engaging in warfare directly. Rather, if we look at the Edda metaphorically, we see a much more complex character. One who is always seeking knowledge and advancement for himself, and then shares this with his creation: humanity. He is a shamanistic god, one who is willing to undergo ordeal after ordeal to gain his goal. In emulating him, we will advance physically, mentally and spiritually faster than those who do not, but it will cost us, as it cost him.

Freyja is the most active of the goddesses. While most see her as a glassy-eyed, somewhat ditzy nymphomaniac, I think if you look deeper into the Edda and other sources, you will find a much more queenlike and glorious goddess. Though she is a sort of patroness of lust (not long-term love, that is Frigg's domain), warfare, magic, etc. Like Odin, she walks the worlds, and has many names because of this. She is the prototypical catwoman -- she goes where she will, when she wills to, and gives no thought to whether or not anyone else approves. I think one can gain much more insight to her personality by reading about the celtic goddess The Morrigan, whose attributes make her a dead-ringer for Freyja (and in fact, I believe the celts were given trust of the way of the Vanir, and Germanic peoples were given trust over the ways of the Aesir, when both were being genocided by christianity).

Hel. Most just see her as the disfigured daughter of Loki. But again, if we read the Edda metaphorically (and the sagas) and with wisdom, we get a very different picture. She appears frequently in the Edda and Sagas as the horrible ogress who contends with heroes and gods alike. Her lessons are hard (thus the imagery of the horrible ogress), but when they accept her in her ogress form, and open their mind to learn her mysteries, she becomes the beautiful maiden that serves the Mead of Poetry. I see her as the goddess that transforms us. Death is but the most stark transformation we can readily witness, but she often works hand-in-hand with Odin in sending people through their ordeals from which they emerge stronger and more advanced than before -- and receives precious little thanks for it.

All three have provided a constant presence, even as other gods and spritis have come to teach me lessons, and then backed off, these, and Thor, have stayed the entire time.

Others will have different gods that stay with them on a long-term basis,the gods deal with each individual as they need to be dealt with. Such is the way with mothers, fathers, older sisters and brothers.



Wow I love it :) freyja <3


Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 537
Niflreiker, how you described Frejya is also the way I see her. I think that those who know truly see her for what she is, instead of a vapid "sex goddess," when she is so much more than that. To me, seeing Freyja in this manner is akin to viewing Bill Gates as just some "computer nerd." (Not that I am comparing Frejya to Bill Gates, just the situation.)

Your thoughts are beautifully put.

I'd like to add that I don't think that we can just choose gods or goddesses to be close to. What happens is that if you are doing certain things you will attract the attentions of certain gods, if any. I know you understand this as well as I do, Niflreiker.

In my own experience, I was doing things that got Frigga's attention. I noticed, so I used it as inspiration to do it more often. We rarely speak, but we have a very deep mutual respect for one another. Idunna initially drew me to Odinism, however, but I think she drew back from me a little once what she wanted was done. These relationships are very, very similar to the ones we have with other humans.


Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 am
Posts: 17
I believe that I am currently experiencing what you describe, skogkatt. As some recent turn of events in my life have brought me very close to the god Freyr and I feel like he has been influencing me for a long time though I have only noticed him recently!


Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 23
I don't have favorites but Frau Holda, Freya and Andvari have all been willing to work with me or offer me guidance. Holda was my first contact with a pagan god and she is still my inspiration and what has drawn me to this path.


Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 am
Posts: 310
While it strays slightly from your question, I have not been as drawn in relation to either. I have been working on research and writing. I find that most people now praise the Aesir, yet many do not respect equally their counterparts. I have spent a lot of time trying to understand angrboda. My latest fascination is the concept of the formless and Ironwood. I still honor the Aesir, but my spirit rests closer to this place. My first vision, before I ever read the eddas, was of Fenrir through his eyes. It took me a long time to learn what I had seen. I felt the one who spoke with me was bound, so I related to Baldur most. I still consider him my favorite Aesir, but Fenrir is as a brother.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 am
Posts: 14
I identify the most with Odin, mainly because I feel he is the one who talked me into looking into this Religion. I always viewed the Norse gods as a myth, a story, a fairy tale for the children. But as if it came to me in a dream suddenly Odin became a very tangible being, and when I talk to him he listens. And in my soul, in a way I cannot explain, I know he is real and sees me. I believe in the other gods as well, just I seem to have closed myself into working with Odin. I do not know why, maybe its because I need him at the moment and I identify with him in my current situation. Also, the gifts Odin has given me since I began doing offerings to him have been many.

Anyway, I hope once I have done sufficient study I can look to work with more gods. I want to study for about 3-4 more years before I decide whether or not the Soujourn is for me.


Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am
Posts: 16
I can't say that I have a favorite because I haven't worked with many of the Gods/Goddesses but Heimdall is the one who has called me to this path and has been a constant and steady presence for me.

Hail the Vigilant Watchman!


Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 am
Posts: 49
Skogkatt wrote:

I'd like to add that I don't think that we can just choose gods or goddesses to be close to. What happens is that if you are doing certain things you will attract the attentions of certain gods, if any. I know you understand this as well as I do, Niflreiker.

.


The longer my journey goes, the more everything people say makes sense. I believe this more and more. For instance, I would have never imagined Frejya coming to me, but she did. She helped me gain confidence in myself I didn't even realize I was missing. Her presence was very strong for some time, and now she has gone about, but I know she is there if I call on her. Like you said Skogkatt, we can't just choose one or the other, but if we keep our focus on the gods, we might just be surprised when one of them shows up.


Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:42 pm
Posts: 588
Vidar the Silent and then Heimdall.
Although I must profess to identify most with Odin.


Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 537
They do come and go as we need them and they find us interesting. More than ever I have felt the influence of Freyja, but there is a reason. I still look to Frigga as a model but the section of path I am on now does not interest her much. Recently I feel that my writings have pleased Bragi, therefore I am writing a bit better.

As I am the woman I am, I know I will most likely walk Frigga's path again, but for now my path is strewn with blooming flowers.

Recognizing how your own path is adorned, or learning how to design your path a certain way can be advantageous, but one must be vigilant in order for the most fruitful results. Those who are idle and passive are not visited by our gods.


Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 am
Posts: 36
I feel Odin and Thor with me every day, while Tyr and Aegir/Njord manifest in my dreams.


Thu May 16, 2013 11:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm
Posts: 34
I always had a real strong bond with Thor.He is like my brother.But then there is the Allfather. Odin is like a father to me.I felt them calling me to Odinism


Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 am
Posts: 98
Odin. He gave his eye for knowledge, I am a scholar and my quest for knowledge is literally never ending. I am always finding something new that I wish to learn about. I also like Heimdall, because I tend to watch and wait for things as he is watching and waiting for Ragnarok.


Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.