View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Hunting and ways to honor the Gods? 
Author Message

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
How does one honor the Gods when hunting one of their sacred animals? I am thinking of the wild boar and Freya in particular. One of the first animals I tracked and killed was a wild boar. I could be reaching here but now that I am exploring Odinism, it seems relevant. I tracked it for two hours before getting a clear shot. It was smoked and was some of the most delicious meat I have ever had the joy of eating. Were I to go on that hunt again, how would I honor the Gods, specifically Freya, in a private way?


Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:04 am
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
I wouldn't know how to honour a god with a hunt but at a guess I would assume they would like to see a test of true strength and honour so go at it with what u was born with as an equal and not hide behind a rifle or other weapon as it takes very little strength , courage or honour to point and fire but that's just my thought :)


Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 491
autumnapples wrote:
How does one honor the Gods when hunting one of their sacred animals? I am thinking of the wild boar and Freya in particular. One of the first animals I tracked and killed was a wild boar. I could be reaching here but now that I am exploring Odinism, it seems relevant. I tracked it for two hours before getting a clear shot. It was smoked and was some of the most delicious meat I have ever had the joy of eating. Were I to go on that hunt again, how would I honor the Gods, specifically Freya, in a private way?


You can honor her simply by dedicating the hunt to her, and offering her libations after the kill. If you are cleaning the animal yourself, some of it's fresh blood would be a particularly lovely offering. If you aren't, set aside some of the meat and a drink to her.


Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:47 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
RavenCall wrote:
autumnapples wrote:
How does one honor the Gods when hunting one of their sacred animals? I am thinking of the wild boar and Freya in particular. One of the first animals I tracked and killed was a wild boar. I could be reaching here but now that I am exploring Odinism, it seems relevant. I tracked it for two hours before getting a clear shot. It was smoked and was some of the most delicious meat I have ever had the joy of eating. Were I to go on that hunt again, how would I honor the Gods, specifically Freya, in a private way?


You can honor her simply by dedicating the hunt to her, and offering her libations after the kill. If you are cleaning the animal yourself, some of it's fresh blood would be a particularly lovely offering. If you aren't, set aside some of the meat and a drink to her.


Thanks RavenCall. There seems to be different opinions as to wether you eat the offerings you set aside for a God or leave the offerings in her name and allow the animals of the forest to consume them. I haven't come across any writings concerning offerings to Freya but there is a ton of Lore I haven't read yet.


Last edited by autumnapples on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
kaladin wrote:
I wouldn't know how to honour a god with a hunt but at a guess I would assume they would like to see a test of true strength and honour so go at it with what u was born with as an equal and not hide behind a rifle or other weapon as it takes very little strength , courage or honour to point and fire but that's just my thought :)


Are you suggesting that the only honorable way to kill an animal is with your bare hands?


Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 491
autumnapples wrote:
kaladin wrote:
I wouldn't know how to honour a god with a hunt but at a guess I would assume they would like to see a test of true strength and honour so go at it with what u was born with as an equal and not hide behind a rifle or other weapon as it takes very little strength , courage or honour to point and fire but that's just my thought :)


Are you suggesting that the only honorable way to kill an animal is with your bare hands?


I disagree that using a rifle or other weapon is hiding. We are intelligent, skilled people. We should use that. There is no honor in placing yourself in unnecessary danger, and potentially losing your life, for a meal. That's absurd. Its also absurd to assume that the gods would place more value on a kill you'd be LUCKY to make that would extend the suffering of the animal for no good reason. In addition, if you go after a wild boar with your bare hands, you will never taste the meat, because you'll be dead- and foolishly dead at that. Why would the gods look fondly upon such idiocy?


Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:48 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Whenever I field dress a kill I always make a small, simple shrine, draw a couple runes in blood and leave the heart and liver (which is a two-fold sacrifice because I think they are delicious) as a gift.


Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:00 am
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
It is hiding behind a rifle as u know with the skill it's dead 100% n without the rifle it's not so there's unfairness the animal don't stand a chance so uneven ,dishonourable lets say it's me n u I have a rifle u don't I had a few beers so my aim int 100% I shoot u in the chest pierce your lung u got at least 10 mins of pure pain and choking on your blood b4 you die would you say I was honourable ? ... As for intelligent the main diff between u n the animal is your thumb ... If u beat a dog after a bit it will cower that shows they feel they know they remember and they act look at a squirrel they are gr8 problem solvers so that shows they think eliminate solve and act ...... I understand you like to hunt but don't kid your selfs in thinkin it's honourable


Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:12 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 491
kaladin wrote:
It is hiding behind a rifle as u know with the skill it's dead 100% n without the rifle it's not so there's unfairness the animal don't stand a chance so uneven ,dishonourable lets say it's me n u I have a rifle u don't I had a few beers so my aim int 100% I shoot u in the chest pierce your lung u got at least 10 mins of pure pain and choking on your blood b4 you die would you say I was honourable ? ... As for intelligent the main diff between u n the animal is your thumb ... If u beat a dog after a bit it will cower that shows they feel they know they remember and they act look at a squirrel they are gr8 problem solvers so that shows they think eliminate solve and act ...... I understand you like to hunt but don't kid your selfs in thinkin it's honourable


There is a VAST difference in hunting an animal and committing murder against a human being. Do not be so foolish and simple minded as to try to make a legitimate comparison between the two.

As for suggesting that she go and hunt a wild boar with her bare hands- that tells me very plainly that you have never hunted a wild boar and know very little of their nature. There is a reason that practice is illegal here. These are very dangerous, very aggressive wild animals. What you have done is to suggest something incredibly stupid and incredibly dangerous to a person seeking wisdom. There is no value in trying to lead a person astray and into unnecessary danger. Think before you speak.

It is better to give no advice than to give poor counsel. If you don't know what you are talking about, it is best to say nothing.


Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
I was wrong in my first post but how can u be so closed minded as to think killin a animal is different to killing a person they both living , feeling maybe have a family ok so the law says it's different but man made law to suit himself so take that away what do u have the fact u don't understand it's tong I don't speak or understand French .... so no can't be that maybe because it's not civil .. There was a time man want civil so no I can't see a difference maybe you can tell me the difference


Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
kaladin wrote:
It is hiding behind a rifle as u know with the skill it's dead 100% n without the rifle it's not so there's unfairness the animal don't stand a chance so uneven ,dishonourable lets say it's me n u I have a rifle u don't I had a few beers so my aim int 100% I shoot u in the chest pierce your lung u got at least 10 mins of pure pain and choking on your blood b4 you die would you say I was honourable ? ... As for intelligent the main diff between u n the animal is your thumb ... If u beat a dog after a bit it will cower that shows they feel they know they remember and they act look at a squirrel they are gr8 problem solvers so that shows they think eliminate solve and act ...... I understand you like to hunt but don't kid your selfs in thinkin it's honourable


I always find it interesting how people can fancy themselves an expert in something that they really have no idea about. How much hunting do you do kaldin? How much experience do you have with a rifle, or any other firearm for that matter? Correct me if I am wrong but you are from the UK are you not? That fact alone speaks volumes about your hunting knowledge. It is perfectly fine to have an opinion about something you have no direct experience with but to speak down to others on that subject is laughable.

And also, your use text slang makes you sound like a gutter trash idiot.


Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 491
kaladin wrote:
I was wrong in my first post but how can u be so closed minded as to think killin a animal is different to killing a person they both living , feeling maybe have a family ok so the law says it's different but man made law to suit himself so take that away what do u have the fact u don't understand it's tong I don't speak or understand French .... so no can't be that maybe because it's not civil .. There was a time man want civil so no I can't see a difference maybe you can tell me the difference


How can I think that killing men and killing animals is different? Because I think. Because I'm not a pacifist or a hippy. Because I understand that there is only one true law in this world, and it is the law of nature. Do you not think that a wild boar would kill you without hesitation?

The gods made a difference in men and animals. Do you hear of Valkyries coming to take the brave fallen animals to Valhalla to fight in Ragnarok? Man kills an animal and feeds his family. That animal served a worthy purpose. We are not equal. Know always your place- and also the place of others. Do you condemn the cat for killing the mouse, or do you praise him? Mine receives praise.

I do not support undue cruelty to animals of any sort, nor their abuse, mistreatment, or neglect. However, I will ALWAYS place the value of a man above the value of an animal.

You are entitled to your own opinion. You asked for mine, this is mine.


Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 pm
Posts: 368
RavenCall wrote:
autumnapples wrote:
kaladin wrote:
I wouldn't know how to honour a god with a hunt but at a guess I would assume they would like to see a test of true strength and honour so go at it with what u was born with as an equal and not hide behind a rifle or other weapon as it takes very little strength , courage or honour to point and fire but that's just my thought :)


Are you suggesting that the only honorable way to kill an animal is with your bare hands?


I disagree that using a rifle or other weapon is hiding. We are intelligent, skilled people. We should use that. There is no honor in placing yourself in unnecessary danger, and potentially losing your life, for a meal. That's absurd. Its also absurd to assume that the gods would place more value on a kill you'd be LUCKY to make that would extend the suffering of the animal for no good reason. In addition, if you go after a wild boar with your bare hands, you will never taste the meat, because you'll be dead- and foolishly dead at that. Why would the gods look fondly upon such idiocy?


As I often do I find myself agreeing with RavenCall on this, just like modern medicine we have these tools for a reason, the animal suffers less and I'm sure less meat goes to waste, the importance of the offering is not in the act of killing but in the idea of the offering.

We mortals adapt as ages pass, it would be foolish to think beings far older, more powerful and wiser than we would not do the same.

Hunting an animal is not the same as fighting a warrior, yes you should respect it but think of it this way...are you honoring the gods and giving your prey the due respect by having one of the gods' own creations die a miserable prolonged death ?

I think not
I know some will probable disagree with me on this but that is my opinion


Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
This could go on for ever from what I've red from you on other posts I respect your knowledge n wisdom I am still very new here and still trying to find my way my views on animals will never change and for the record I'm not a hippy :) any way I hope are future posts will be more learning n less arguing


Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:03 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 57
Kaladin
"The careful guest, who comes to a meal,
keeps silent with hearing finely attuned,
he listens with his ears, and looks about with his eyes,
so every wise man informs himself" (Havamal)
There are different thoughts on hunting, depending on which side of the Atlantic you come from.
I can't believe you would advocate hunting a wild boar (or any wild animal) with your hands.
In the past even hunting boar with a spear was a dangerous pastime, the boar would just run
down the spear to get to you, killing itself on the way.
In the UK we do not have any wild animals, so we do not really understand the pleasure hunting can bring.
You came to this site to learn about Odinism, Read and learn, do not comment until you understand.
I agree with both Tyrsman and Ravencall, Think before you speak!
Rurik


Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
That was me bein a tit I should not have posted in the 1st place I don't agree with hunting on any lvl but that's my thought in my own way I have said sorry ( still don't agree with hunting ) and will leave this topic n carry on reading


Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:30 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
kaladin wrote:
This could go on for ever from what I've red from you on other posts I respect your knowledge n wisdom I am still very new here and still trying to find my way my views on animals will never change and for the record I'm not a hippy :) any way I hope are future posts will be more learning n less arguing


This is not arguing, it is opinionated discussion. I do not have the time right now but I would like to elaborate on a couple if things later. I do not expect or desire to change your mind only add perspective to your point of view.


Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
Thanks for what you wrote, Rurik ,RavenCall and Tyrsman. Here are my opinions on this...

To clear this up, in case anyone was wondering, there is no way I would even consider hunting a boar with my bare hands, that would be insane! I was playing devil's advocate, curious as to what Kaladin would say. My impression was that he had never been hunting, hence the generic distain of it. The hunters I know have a deep reverence and respect for the animals they hunt. These hunters, me included, protect wildlife habitats, feed and promote the health of the animals we hunt and work to understand the symbiotic relationship between nature and humans. Given the chance, a wild boar would gore you without a second thought. Many animals, humans included, kill for food.

The Vikings used bows and arrows as well as traps to kill wild boar. They used the tools they had to feed their families, I don't think they would consider using those things, "hiding". Would you say that historical Vikings "hid" behind their swords in battle? Of course not.

I have to respect how vicious, fast and strong the boar is or I will be coming home with a broken leg or worse. The point of tracking is to get a clear shot in order to kill it quickly, so that the animal suffers as little as possible. Making sure the animal suffers minimally is showing honor and respect, appreciating the beautiful meat that feeds your body is showing honor and respect. To learn the skills you need to hunt an animal engenders a deep respect for the skills and abilities of that animal. Because if you don't respect what that animal can do, you are never bringing one home.

And by the way, shooting a gun is a skill that requires time and practice like any other. If you have never picked up a gun before and you go hunting, you are going to cause more damage to the wildlife than someone who knows how to shoot. An experienced hunter is going to kill in a few shots, whereas it will take an amateur many, many shots, misses and painful woundings to kill the poor animal he is after.

Kaladin, I think it is good that you have such compassion for animals. But do not assume that all hunters are vicious monsters who hate the animals they hunt - because in my experience, it is exactly the opposite.


Last edited by autumnapples on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 40
Ok my last post here no I've never hunted as for rifle I've used it to much as for hunters the ones I've seen / known shown no respect at all to what they killed I apologise for assuming all hunters are like that including yourself


Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:23 am
Profile

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 am
Posts: 79
kaladin wrote:
Ok my last post here no I've never hunted as for rifle I've used it to much as for hunters the ones I've seen / known shown no respect at all to what they killed I apologise for assuming all hunters are like that including yourself


Thanks for your post. And I am truly sorry you have had such bad experiences with hunters in the past.


Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.