View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Hunting and ways to honor the Gods? 

You shouldn't be sorry it's my fault for being so closed minded :)

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:27 am

kaladin wrote:

We only know what we learn, when you only experience one particular version of something that is what you know about it. When you seek out additional information, or just happen to stumble across it, that is when your knowledge deepens.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
kaladin wrote:

We only know what we learn, when you only experience one particular version of something that is what you know about it. When you seek out additional information, or just happen to stumble across it, that is when your knowledge deepens.

Agreed. Kaladin, you were willing to listen to other opinions and change your mind. Not many are willing to do that, even in the search for knowledge.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm

I still disagree with hunting but that's because I'm vegan n no need to eat meat but I'm more open to why people hunt and if honest would sooner meat eaters hunt them selfs if done right instead of the mass farming that goes off by people with no concern for the animals :)

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:46 pm

kaladin wrote:
I still disagree with hunting but that's because I'm vegan n no need to eat meat but I'm more open to why people hunt and if honest would sooner meat eaters hunt them selfs if done right instead of the mass farming that goes off by people with no concern for the animals :)

Got it and I understand that you still don't agree with hunting - I could have worded my response more clearly. Vegans are good folks too :)

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 am

By honor i think it comes down to the act of hunting. By making plans to go out and hunt, then going out and doing the deed (at least for me,) we take part in what our kin of the past did. We break it down into passing on the need to survive. To provide for ourdelf and our family. i do relize that things are different now and that you do not need to go out and hunt for food in order to survive, but the act of doing so is that link to the past and should be passed down just as out lore should be passed down. If we do not then we loose the way. It is the same with farming. If all you eat is veg. then would it not be good to know how to grow them yourself and harvest them yourself? I feel the Honor part comes from the act of feeding yourself and family and not the act of killing for the sake of killing.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:15 am

I regret not having gone hunting and would that I could I'd prefer only hunting for what eat

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:28 pm

autumnapples wrote:
kaladin wrote:

Got it and I understand that you still don't agree with hunting - I could have worded my response more clearly. Vegans are good folks too :)

:) I'm glad you all made me understand better I guess some of you hunter types int so bad either :p

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm

I would say any animal is fair game, save the raven.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Blodhrafn wrote:
...any animal is fair game...

I have rather strong feelings about this. I believe that an animal should only be hunted if it falls into one of the following categories:

-it will be eaten
    -it is preying on livestock or has become a danger
    -its population needs to be controlled for the sake of other species or crops

Killing any animal just for the sake of killing it rubs me the wrong way. While I have no problem with a hunter keeping a trophy from a hunt, I have a very low opinion of those who hunt solely for the purpose of obtaining a trophy.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 am

I agree. One of the things about today is commercial hunting wipes too many animals out and then, only for the parts of their carcass that is worth any money (which is almost sickening that animal parts can be equivalent to such-and-such amount of green paper or digital numbers)

The animal world (and the current human population) also couldn't sustain horticulture farming (farming on the homestead and just enough to eat) or the hunting of animals for food. Fortunately only a small portion of the population hunt for food.

But a lot of people in cities would perish right away if the supermarkets ever went empty.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:04 pm

I am also a big hunter and since finding myself on this quest of knowledge I have found a renewed interest in archery and paying tribute to the God's. Before the hunt I go and I ask them to steady my hand and once the deed is done I also place a blood rune and offer a piece in sacrifice to the gods or to a specific god. I show the animal respect by using everything I can and then placing what I can't back into the food chain of the area I hunt, remember wolves and coyotes need to eat to! Like many of us have said there is no set governing body of our faith, each of us are the leaders in our hall, the Gods watch and listen they will hear and see what ever you do to honor them.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Cdnbirdgunner wrote:
I am also a big hunter and since finding myself on this quest of knowledge I have found a renewed interest in archery and paying tribute to the God's. Before the hunt I go and I ask them to steady my hand and once the deed is done I also place a blood rune and offer a piece in sacrifice to the gods or to a specific god. I show the animal respect by using everything I can and then placing what I can't back into the food chain of the area I hunt, remember wolves and coyotes need to eat to! Like many of us have said there is no set governing body of our faith, each of us are the leaders in our hall, the Gods watch and listen they will hear and see what ever you do to honor them.

That sounds like a good practice to have, thanks for sharing it, Cdnbirdgunner.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

War'heri wrote:
RavenCall wrote:
I disagree that using a rifle or other weapon is hiding. We are intelligent, skilled people. We should use that. There is no honor in placing yourself in unnecessary danger, and potentially losing your life, for a meal. That's absurd. Its also absurd to assume that the gods would place more value on a kill you'd be LUCKY to make that would extend the suffering of the animal for no good reason. In addition, if you go after a wild boar with your bare hands, you will never taste the meat, because you'll be dead- and foolishly dead at that. Why would the gods look fondly upon such idiocy?

As I often do I find myself agreeing with RavenCall on this, just like modern medicine we have these tools for a reason, the animal suffers less and I'm sure less meat goes to waste, the importance of the offering is not in the act of killing but in the idea of the offering.

I agree that using a gun is the best for the sake of sparing the animal from pain. A hunter should never fool themself into thinking they're on some kind of brave adventure or expedition. No matter what you do, whether you hunt with a gun, a bow and arrow, a spear, a knife, or just your bare hands, it's unlikely the animal would ever have a realistic chance of killing you.

Testing one's own courage is not what hunting is for. If that is your goal, then you should do something else instead.

Hunting is mostly just a fun and practical way to get good food. Natural food, that hasn't been tainted by steroids, penecillin shots, and other additives later on. An animal that didn't get fed on corn alone and live out its life wading in its own filth in a pen somewhere.

Quote:

Hunting an animal is not the same as fighting a warrior, yes you should respect it but think of it this way...are you honoring the gods and giving your prey the due respect by having one of the gods' own creations die a miserable prolonged death ?

Yeah. I agree.

Respect for an animal should come in the form of minimizing its pain.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:33 am

I don't honestly think she cares lol. The animals associated with deities are either from spirits who are viewed as a sort of god-pet, like Odin's ravens, or the deity is the creator of the species, like Poseidon with horses.

Just because Freyja has Hildisvini, doesn't mean she concerns herself with your sport.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:33 am

I really enjoyed this topic. My perspective adds very little in the discussion of the justification of hunting, other than to echo the chorus championing a swift kill and denigrating any callus waste of life. I am tempted to return to the discussion of making holy the hunt. I could make this observation anywhere, in all honesty, but hunting is dear to my heart and as good a place to start as any. (Pun acknowledged, but only barely intended)

As people of Irminsul and the Hammer we are predisposed to see the world as both naturally holy and naturally not-yet-holy. (Please note that not-yet-holy is not the same as unholy.) Hunting creates a powerful sense of the numinous as it brings these two "holies" together: that which is natural and the creativity of mankind. The question that spurned this particular series of posts implicitly acknowledges the natural sense of holy. Be careful, however, to not assume that natural holiness is in opposition to creative holiness. In the Lore we learn that the gods created that which we now call natural and we can easily surmise that our own creativity is in actuality a microcosm of godly creativity. Our actions, then, as we engage with the divinely established natural world, are our communication with the gods.

Our motivations, our mastery of skills, and our sense of community all come together to yield either positive or negative results on the hunt depending on our efficiency. When we are successful due to our harnessed skills (or dumb luck as the case may be), we are at the border between our world and the world of the creative gods. This is a time to speak with the gods, ancestors, and wights and to share with them in the bounty. As a note, I prefer to use smoke (or steam, etc.) to carry my offerings to the gods, and tend to reserve smokeless libations for the ancestors and land wights. Historically, sacrificial meat was always consumed but libations (such as blood) were not. But whatever you do, recognize your place with the gods, ancestors, and wights. Their creations are barely phased by your hunt! Be proud of your skills, but do not over-estimate your significance. Other challenges will determine your strength!

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:25 am

I felt using a rifle would be fine. As long as she or he is not,baiting the animal they are truely hunting. Be case the animal could still flea if they wanted. I find that setting,up feeders sometimes can be the weak way of hunting.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Asleif vilborg wrote:
I felt using a rifle would be fine. As long as she or he is not,baiting the animal they are truely hunting. Be case the animal could still flea if they wanted. I find that setting,up feeders sometimes can be the weak way of hunting.

Brother be careful our fore fathers baited game into traps and ambushes. If hunting with a rifle is your thing have you ever tried black powder? I personally like to bow hunt, as well as I use a trap line so I do use baiting stations, there is no rule against deception and cunning. How ever you hunt, show the animal respect and honor the God's, don't just trophy hunt. I hope the God's blessed you this season with a sacrifice.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:34 am

I would like to hunt a wild boar with a spear. It would be a real test.e

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:04 pm

I am a scavenger-hunter. I have lived most of my life in areas with high deer populations and have witnessed countless car/deer collisions.

I had an internship at a carnivore refuge. If I dispatch a lame deer I feel I have done an honorable thing, and I take the backstrap, move the body respectfully to the side for the foxes and crows.

I do not advise eating any meat but the backstrap for 'accident venison' since punctured intestines foul the meat quickly. I see those rare days as a gift from the Gods to my table. I use a well-honed bowie knife that is meticulously sharpened, oiled, and blessed and only take meat from deer whose throats I slit myself.

To be entirely honest, I do enjoy the looks of shock from the human accident survivors. I wait with them until the police come to make a report as a witness.

The only reason I do not actively hunt with firearms is for lack of a good teacher on how. I am the "barbarian" of my family.

In this state, a non injurious to humans deer collision can take over an hour for police response. Their method for deer dispatch is cleaner, but I take away the suffering more quickly than waiting on them and I usually mind killing the animal far less from practice.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next