View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Oden a king from Svea? 

Hi

Will try to ask this in the best english I can. Met a guy in a pub here in Sweden some month ago. He claimed he was a historian.

We get talking about the old gods and he claimed that Oden was a Svea king ( a little bit of Sweden) 2000 years ago, and he was raised as a god after his death. And Njord became the king after him. The area is the same the rurikbrother came from 1000 years later who later found Russia in todays Kiev.

So what do you think of the story?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 pm

I know there was a king by the name of Odinn- but what we do NOT know is if it were a common name. Many Atheist say our Gods are named for old kings and history makers....others say it is the reverse.

For all we know- it could be both. The Gods walk among us.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Perhaps he was Odin- he often walks the Earth.

For what it's worth, the founder of the Spartan constitution bears many similarities to Odin. His name (Lycurgus) even comes from the Greek word for wolf.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:29 pm

i have heard many stories of ity but Onsdag as others said the Gods walk among us it could be yes Odin the king but a human that was hnoured as agod later but Odin in human form.

Also heard that Frey has smae consideration in Denmark as being one of their old kings

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Is there any goods you talk to Daily?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:22 pm

For myself, Odinism is more self-reliance as much as possible than turning to the Gods and crying for assistance on every issue.

With that being said, in troubled times, I do make effort to honor the Gods and seek council... for me, my first choice is usually Tyr, then Loki....and if I'm "righteously furious" at other Odinists: Odin (but very, very sparingly)

One side of my family is from a polytheistic cultural group in Europe where when you show concern for someone- you pray to their God/s to support them... the reason for this is, "Our Gods might not know them, nor they know our Gods- and nothing is accomplished."

This is not the "norm" in Odinism or a common practice. I do not even know if it extends outside of the Livonia region.

Regardless, as an Odinist, it is safe to say we all seek and find signs of messages they leave for us- in augery or visions.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 am

Onsdag wrote:
Is there any goods you talk to Daily?

Onsdag as Tyrriene self-reliance as much as possible is important in our ways yet it is very normal to be particulary more close to one God that you talk to or refer to more often than others.

There is one thing i like to think as my relationship with the Gods as the same as a friendship. You respect all o them, hnour all of them in different ocasion but there is a couple or more you more connected to that you might need or feel better talking to more Often. In my case it has been always the God Thor.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]