View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Freyr at Ragnarok 

I think it is beautifully worded in THE TEACHINGS OF THE ODIN BROTHERHOOD about Freyr at Ragnarok.
Freyr being the last god who is killed in the battle...being that he is the god of fertility, harvests, peace, wealth, etc...it is not until he is killed the universe is able to be destroyed.
It is very poetic and makes one think.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:39 pm

I am not looking forward to that terrible day. It is indeed poetic. It makes me reconsider the meanings of All-Father being the one to rebuild what's lost. Thank you for your thoughts.
r

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:19 am

A good chance the Homonym Frére in French is somehow related here!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 pm

I think there is much to be gleaned from the circumstances of his death as well. Out of selfishness he gave up the one weapon that may have turned the tide of the final battle. He was then fated to face Surtr with only the antler of a stag. He is able to kill Surtr but is killed himself in the process.

Choice & Consequence generate Cause & Effect.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:32 am

Tyrsman wrote:
I think there is much to be gleaned from the circumstances of his death as well. Out of selfishness he gave up the one weapon that may have turned the tide of the final battle. He was then fated to face Surtr with only the antler of a stag. He is able to kill Surtr but is killed himself in the process.

Choice & Consequence generate Cause & Effect.

Thaks for helping me look at it in yet another light.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:09 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
Thaks for helping me look at it in yet another light.

There is little of our lore that does not consist of multiple layers. The weaving of the Norns is complex beyond our understanding. Sometimes, in hindsight, we are able to catch a glimpse of just how delicately the strands are woven but rarely are we able to see very far past the obvious.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:44 am
Site Admin

Interesting thread, but remember that although Frey dies heroically, he will not die forever. In the circle of time, he will return.

The Frey story is also interesting because he was a "guest" in Asgard. In ancient times, when there was honor, the guest and the host fought side-by-side against threats.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
The Frey story is also interesting because he was a "guest" in Asgard. In ancient times, when there was honor, the guest and the host fought side-by-side against threats.

...and another layer of the lesson is revealed. I had not taken that facet of the story into consideration.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]