View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Patron god 

Who is your patron god? How did you choose him or her or did he choose you? What experience can you share?

I believe that research on Thor and Mjolnir was how I found Asatru. I found a man on youtube who did some workings with Thor and I was amazed, I didn't realize that it was possible. Finding this forum was a complete accident. Would that mean Thor is a potential patron god? I am not exactly a fierce warrior, but I admire a lot of his characteristics, especially that he protects farmers as I have always had a passion for farming. I also have a red beard that I am proud of.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:28 am

The term "patron" is usually frowned upon by Odinists. It brings to mind the idea that a God or Goddess has chosen to support you. While this can be a half truth it is much more than that. The relationship we have with our Gods is one of mutual trust and respect. As you grow to better know the Gods you will want them to come to know you. This is how friendships and alliances are formed.

You see characteristics in Thor that you find admirable, traits that you may have in common or that you feel a desire to cultivate in yourself. If you would have his friendship or his help (what some would call his "blessing") then you will need to let him see who you are.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:32 am

Tyrsman wrote:
The term "patron" is usually frowned upon by Odinists. It brings to mind the idea that a God or Goddess has chosen to support you. While this can be a half truth it is much more than that. The relationship we have with our Gods is one of mutual trust and respect. As you grow to better know the Gods you will want them to come to know you. This is how friendships and alliances are formed.

You see characteristics in Thor that you find admirable, traits that you may have in common or that you feel a desire to cultivate in yourself. If you would have his friendship or his help (what some would call his "blessing") then you will need to let him see who you are.

How would I let him see who I am? I like your way of thinking over the "patron" term.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:02 am

redskegg wrote:
How would I let him see who I am?

If you seek Thor's attention I would recommend first putting forth the time and effort to learn about him. Not just the articles and stories about him but come to understand his true nature.

While you are doing this you must also lead a life that Thor would approve of. Do things that he finds merit in.

Then, when the time is right, one of two things will happen - either you can introduce yourself to him or he will contact you.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 am

I feel a connection to many gods, and am building connections with others. Thor is the god that contacts and aids me the most- I do not know why he does this, but it is because of his contact that I am focusing more on physical health (before this I was a skinny bookworm). As you develop relationships with the gods you will become more aware of their methods of communicating with you; I believe it is different for everyone. Thor communicates with me in visions and dreams, Frejya with a gentle, quiet judgement and Odin and Tyr with mainly silent, stern approval or disproval. As it is getting very close to winter, I am feeling the presence of Skadi more and more. Of course, it varies from person to person

This doesn't mean I have a "patron", just a different relationship with each god and goddess, as one would with friends and family. a relationship with the gods will be more rewarding than their "blessing".

Interestingly, just now as I was writing this there was a strong gust of wind that lasted only a few seconds yet nearly toppled some young trees outside and could be heard loudly in the building I am in. Now all is calm again.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:46 am

Tyrsman wrote:
redskegg wrote:
How would I let him see who I am?

If you seek Thor's attention I would recommend first putting forth the time and effort to learn about him. Not just the articles and stories about him but come to understand his true nature.

While you are doing this you must also lead a life that Thor would approve of. Do things that he finds merit in.

Then, when the time is right, one of two things will happen - either you can introduce yourself to him or he will contact you.

What Tyrsman says i totally agree once i had kind of a established relationship with Thor and i did thing si may not find merit on i felt weakness on the link. You do not only need to learn, but do what is right

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 pm

To know the Gods and Goddesses, you must step on their path, honour them with your actions.

Never ask for divine guidance, it shows weakness.

Never ask for divine assistance, be self reliant.

Storm

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Hail,

Odin chose me when I died, Frejya came
to me and nourished me in terms of female
issues I had and taught me magick. She
provided me with tons of women in my life
and brought me my now wife, who is
named after a Valkyrie. Cool huh.

I have noticed that Thor has noticed me. I
train at the gym 6-7 days a week. I have
also been getting involved in combat events
and have noticed his presence there as well.
Im not a fighter but am noticing his presence
at these events.

I am honoured that Thor has chosen to guide
me and honor me as I honor Him. I think of
Odin as my grandfather, Thor as my brother
and Frejya as the ultimate female archetype.

I enjoy their presence and do what I can
to honor them. I have asked for their
assistance and they have helped. However
I agree they prefer we help ourselves. I
seek to honor them and am grateful they
notice me.

Bucky

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 pm

Several years ago when I was new to all of this, heimdall came to me in a dream. At the time I didn't even really know who he was. Its a good thing in my dream he wore a biker vest with his name on it...
It caused me to start learning all I could about him.
A couple months ago, I told him I'd like to see him. The same day there was a rainbow 6 ft off the ground and one in the sky.
When I pour the other gods Mead, I pour Heimdall coffee or a 5 hour energy shot

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:35 am

I see a "Patron" God as one who approaches the Odinist to work together with them more closely. In my case, to be "in line" with Tyr, it requires sacrifice, to be Lokean is to be willing to think unconventionally to solve problems...but more than that in the sense that these Gods leave messages in runes, dreams, and via nature itself.

In as much as they are real Gods who interact with us, they also represent the penultimate of human archetypes and it is not a bad thing to feel closer to some than others.

Lately, honestly I've been learning more of Hela and Heimdallr, an interesting combination that makes me wary of global politics- but it does not change my fundamental nature.

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:48 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
Several years ago when I was new to all of this, heimdall came to me in a dream. At the time I didn't even really know who he was. Its a good thing in my dream he wore a biker vest with his name on it...
It caused me to start learning all I could about him.
A couple months ago, I told him I'd like to see him. The same day there was a rainbow 6 ft off the ground and one in the sky.
When I pour the other gods Mead, I pour Heimdall coffee or a 5 hour energy shot

Heimdallr also rode of in a motorcycle after appearing to me in a dream. However, he was dressed as a watchman rather than a biker. That must be his modus operandi these days.

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:18 am

I know very little about Heimdallr, except that my uncle would have been a Heimdallrsman if he stayed with the old religion. I really do not know much about either of their characters except they are both quiet, strong men?

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Obviously each God and Goddess has their own individual characteristics that set them apart from one another. The variables come when they choose to reveal themselves to us, especially through our dreams. I believe that when they desire, they will allow us see a facet of their nature that will allow us to recognize them. Sometimes this us blatantly obvious but at other times it is done with much subtlety to either test our perception or to encourage us to investigate something in particular.

It has been my observation that some of the Elder Kin are very straightforward - Thor and Skadi for example, they both tend to be fairly blunt. Odin and Freyja on the other hand are master educators who are usually showing you several different things at once and it is up to you find the deeper truths. Heimdall, Freyr and Tyr use a mix of techniques depending on the situation and the individual. Other Gods have unique ways to communicate, dealing with Vidar for example can be frustrating until you spend sufficient time with him and you realize that he is silent because his "language" is beyond speech, that words would only restrain any message he may have.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:34 am

Tyrsman wrote:
Obviously each God and Goddess has their own individual characteristics that set them apart from one another. The variables come when they choose to reveal themselves to us, especially through our dreams. I believe that when they desire, they will allow us see a facet of their nature that will allow us to recognize them. Sometimes this us blatantly obvious but at other times it is done with much subtlety to either test our perception or to encourage us to investigate something in particular.

It has been my observation that some of the Elder Kin are very straightforward - Thor and Skadi for example, they both tend to be fairly blunt. Odin and Freyja on the other hand are master educators who are usually showing you several different things at once and it is up to you find the deeper truths. Heimdall, Freyr and Tyr use a mix of techniques depending on the situation and the individual. Other Gods have unique ways to communicate, dealing with Vidar for example can be frustrating until you spend sufficient time with him and you realize that he is silent because his "language" is beyond speech, that words would only restrain any message he may have.

And yet, it took me months to see Skadi, even though she came to me many times, I was not perceptive enough until she gave me a walloping crash against the head! Odin has been with me most of my life - I saw him and he has been there regularly, it was just I didn't know who he was. Storm

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:29 am

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:
it took me months to see Skadi, even though she came to me many times, I was not perceptive enough until she gave me a walloping crash against the head! Odin has been with me most of my life - I saw him and he has been there regularly, it was just I didn't know who he was. Storm

Haha, perfect examples! Skadi can be patient but only for so long. When she feels you haven't gotten the point by the time she thinks you should have she'll drive it home. Odin, on the other hand, looks at things from a much more long-term perspective and is much more likely to allow you to grow on your own, unless you can be of use to him sooner.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 am

Tyrsman wrote:
it took me months to see Skadi, even though she came to me many times, I was not perceptive enough until she gave me a walloping crash against the head! Odin has been with me most of my life - I saw him and he has been there regularly, it was just I didn't know who he was. Storm

Haha, perfect examples! Skadi can be patient but only for so long. When she feels you haven't gotten the point by the time she thinks you should have she'll drive it home. Odin, on the other hand, looks at things from a much more long-term perspective and is much more likely to allow you to grow on your own, unless you can be of use to him sooner.

There have been many, many, many winters that Odin has been with me and only now that I understand.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:18 am

There have been many, many, many winters that Odin has been with me and only now that I understand.

For those of us who are called home after wandering it's easier to see how the Norns have woven the Gods into our past to help us arrive at where we are today.

I could spend a lot of time reflecting on points in my life where it is now glaringly obvious that the Gods were there (and a couple of instances where it is possible that they may have involved themselves). As important as our pasts are though it's more important to focus on our current situations in preparation for our futures.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 am

Before answering, an overly lengthy musing feels appropriate.
I remember over 20 years ago when I first felt the Gods stirring in my life. What may have seemed like amusing eccentricities to my friends and family were overwhelming and consuming visions and impressions to me. Looking back I see myself as a caricature of Richard Dreyfuss sculpting with mashed potatoes if that helps. I used to put a pencil to paper for hours and hours during school, after work, during movies, etc., and -weird- images would just spill out all over the page. At that time I had never heard of the Gods. I come from a long line of unbaptized men, but I have always been interested in the world I don't see, and during my strained years as a teenager these visions became increasingly potent. Early adulthood came and anxiety pulled me apart at the seams... and then I came to know the Gods. I saw the effects of the different Gods more and more in my life, many if not all of the 12 holiest Gods. As I reached out I saw them more. It was during this period of interaction that I revisited an old notebook of mine, packed full of images of old men interacting with a floating singular eyeball watching over the world. Everything in my adolescent art was consistent with the Gods I thought I did not know. Odin was most pronounced. As a professional linguist and would-be poet I understand why Odin resonated with me so much. Ullr, my father's divine counterpart, seems to have made many appearances in my life as well, but Odin himself has always been the one I could most plainly see. Does this make him my patron? I don't know. I can hardly imagine being part of a family with only one confidant. At the same time, I feel like Odin is the God who is most involved in my personal development. Maybe I'm too troublesome for the other Gods. I don't know. What I do know, however, is Odin is calling me.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm

I have only just knowingly begun my path with our gods. I cannot imagine a particular god or goddess at the helm of this quest of mine (perhaps because I have so many issues to improve upon in my life).

I do have to say, however, that this discussion was one of the sign posts along the way that I needed to see. Thank you for bringing this up!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen!

Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Felman wrote:
I have only just knowingly begun my path with our gods. I cannot imagine a particular god or goddess at the helm of this quest of mine (perhaps because I have so many issues to improve upon in my life).

I do have to say, however, that this discussion was one of the sign posts along the way that I needed to see. Thank you for bringing this up!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen!

Felman, don't rush it. One or several of the Gods and Goddesses will have been watching over you for some time aiding you in your path to where you are now. Don't rush it, you have much to learn but you must understand each step before moving to the next. During that time, you will feel an affiliation to one or more of the Gods or Goddesses, and over your lifespan your connections may change. It is all part of your journey. Stormr

Tue May 10, 2016 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next