View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Family gods 

What about family gods? If you are a descendant of the Swedish royal line, then Freyr is your ancestor and likely your family god. If you are from Anglo Saxon royalty (assumingly German too) then the same could be said for Odin.
I read about a Norse-Gael family whose goddess-mother is Freya, that the longships on their shields were for her. That line goes back to the Ynglings, so perhaps Freyr is their patron god and Freya their matron?
I spoke with someone about this today and they were saying that you could have a family god because of ancestry or because a particular god gave your family a boon at one time.
In the Volsunga saga, Odin is their ancestor who also gives boons through the generations.
I also know of a family who claims descent from Heimdallr and that is their family god.
There are families in the world today who have passed this knowledge down to their descendants, but not many. I am thankful that there have been people through the centuries who have preserved the lore.
Can anyone add to this?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm

The royalty in my lineage derives from Scotland, Wales and France.

Since I can remember, my mother chanted strange songs over us as children, I suppose you could liken to glossolalia. I used to think it awkward and funny until years many years later when I began investigating proto linguistics, and realized how the songs could be translated into something intelligible and full of meaning by using the grammar and vocabulary of Sanskrit and Sumerian.
A few years ago she gave me a spell song that summons what she calls "our ancestral fairies. I liken them to what in the old north is known as alfar and disir. The song came with the names of the "Matriarch" and her "Prince".
Due to the extremely personally nature of the song and names, I'm sure you can understand why I won't reveal that.

I think everyone has something like that they can tap into,
Just my luck(and surely others more so) is such as i inherited this knowledge, I suppose

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 am

I was reading in the Ásatrú Edda how Heimdallr came to Midgard as a teacher and also mixed with the three classes of jarls, Karl's and thralls, thereby establishing the social order as well as adding his genetics to mankind's. It's a pretty in depth and fascinating story.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

vidarsworker wrote:
What about family gods? If you are a descendant of the Swedish royal line, then Freyr is your ancestor and likely your family god. If you are from Anglo Saxon royalty (assumingly German too) then the same could be said for Odin.
I read about a Norse-Gael family whose goddess-mother is Freya, that the longships on their shields were for her. That line goes back to the Ynglings, so perhaps Freyr is their patron god and Freya their matron?
I spoke with someone about this today and they were saying that you could have a family god because of ancestry or because a particular god gave your family a boon at one time.
In the Volsunga saga, Odin is their ancestor who also gives boons through the generations.
I also know of a family who claims descent from Heimdallr and that is their family god.
There are families in the world today who have passed this knowledge down to their descendants, but not many. I am thankful that there have been people through the centuries who have preserved the lore.
Can anyone add to this?

I had not given much thought to this before but it would make sense. I would think however that one’s ancestors would have had to stay true to the god/goddess. If they did not then one could potentially rebuild that relationship by proving him or herself worthy. I think much would depend on the individual deity involved.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
I had not given much thought to this before but it would make sense. I would think however that one’s ancestors would have had to stay true to the god/goddess. If they did not then one could potentially rebuild that relationship by proving him or herself worthy. I think much would depend on the individual deity involved.

Thank you. Your reply has significantly added to my thinking about the subject.

North, treasure that tradition. I look forward to starting new traditions with my family in the future based upon old ones.

Fand, yes I know the story. It is one of my favorites.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]