View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Ullr 

I have been trying to research Ullr, a God strongly associated with winter, skiing, and hunting. Many skiers in Europe wear an Ullr medallion during the ski season. There is an Ullr Fest in Breckenridge Colorado every year to win his favor and bring snow the the mountains. and depictions of Ullr usually include him holding a bow and arrow. I have found very few historical mentions of him. Does anyone know a good place to find more information in Ullr?

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Steve McNallen dedicated some attention to Ullr in his book "Asatru" (2015), briefly, but I wish I knew Him better. I have heard that according to those who know, Ullr has stepped in for Odin while the latter was away from Asgard, and should this be the case we can well surmise He is even more than a God of hunting, skiing, and martial arts. I am not familiar with any other kennings of Ullr and cannot say where I have seen more information on Him in the lore. Should I ever chance to meet Him I will certainly have to inquire first hand about his adventures and jurisdictions!
r

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:18 am

If you have the chance to so inquire in this life keep me posted. I find myself oddly drawn to him despite knowing hardly anything about him. I feel a burning desire know of him better, to meet him and hear his knowledge and stories.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:57 am

From my own experience and from the experience of others I know, Ullr does not appear to be overly fond of being described
in modern media or books. Obviously I have no wish to try to speak for him, but it would seem that he prefers people to seek him out
directly and by that I mean to venture into the wild places. I would think that direct experience in this area would be better than any other source of information.

I know several people who especially venerate Ullr. They are all hunters and trappers. A mentor of mine, now deceased, also honored him
and he too was a hunter. My mentor associated Ullr with bears in particular, though I am not sure if this is from some part of the old lore or his own personal experiences.

Ullr is said to be quite stern and hard towards those who seek him out. His is the law of the mountains and woods with little flexibility outside of that.
He is said to be one to call on to oversee oaths or to give good counsel before a conflict.

He is said to not suffer fools very well.

I am not sure whether the connection between Ullr and skiers is a relatively modern thing or not.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:27 am

Thank you for your response Fjolnir.

I have been speaking to Ullr as of late and while I have not had any explicit response I have gotten the feeling that he is truly listening but hesitant to respond, as if I must prove myself in the wilds before I am worthy of his time. I am a outdoors type person (hiking, camping, hunting, etc.) but I believe I have been too comfortable with modern technology while outdoors... rifles for hunting, synthetic materials for equipment, cell phone, etc., too far removed from the natural world even while in the woods, mountains, and prairie.

I am in the process of rectifying this situation. I have quit my rifle for next hunting season and purchased a traditional wood recurve bow, and I have been practicing my "spot and stalk" techniques so I can quit using a tree stand. Next season I will venture out on foot into the mountains to hunt as my ancestors did.

I may not earn his respect quickly, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy or quick. I can only pray that by dedicating myself to a more natural state that he will one day answer me.

P.S.

As a side note my father-in-law (in his 60's) has been hunting the mountains since he was a child. He can sneak up on a deer and kill it with a spear if he wanted. I've see him get within arms reach without the deer noticing. This is a skill I am no where near mastering. He walks without sound of footfall and can hit a deer or elk in the heart at 50 yards with a traditional wooden bow (no sights, mechanical bits, etc...). He honors the Norse gods but does not speak much about it, and I do not ask. There is an understanding between us. He has told me a few stories, which I will not repeat here, of his experiences with the gods while alone in the mountains. I believe the gods favor him, and I suspect Ullr especially. It is through my experiences with him that I have come to my interest in Ullr. I am curious about a god I know so little about but truly believe in involved with my family. My father in law is an extraordinary person and I look up to him. I know why Ullr would favor him and I pray someday I can achieve the same status. But as with so many things I must achieve this goal by walking my own path and being my own man. It may sound corny, but I feel as if Ullr is quietly urging me down the path but waiting to see if I am truly worthy.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Brynjar - this is a noble path to pursue. I will say that I myself have been too reliant on modern technology for hunting as well. The traditional bow would be a great thing to learn, as well as to become proficient in the art of trapping.

Also if I can suggest that you go before these ancient ones, go with humility. In my experience this modern day attitude of boasting and bluster
by so many (far too many) Odinists is a very dangerous and unproductive game. From what I have gathered Ullr is unlikely to be tolerant of those who go before him not as students willing to learn, but as know-it-alls with something to prove.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:15 am

Fjolnir wrote:
Also if I can suggest that you go before these ancient ones, go with humility. In my experience this modern day attitude of boasting and bluster
by so many (far too many) Odinists is a very dangerous and unproductive game.
i think these words can be carried across in everything we do, not just with regard to hunting. Storm

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]