View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Demi-Gods and heroes 

Where do people like Herakles and Achilles fit into the lore, since Odinism is the religion of old indo-Europeans?

Lately I've become very interesting in the Greek lore- especially trying to link it to the surviving Germanic lore, but here I am at a loss. I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I don't know much about the Greek culture.
I do know that from reading Taciturn and Julius Caesar that they compare some of the germanic gods to Roman gods. I have seen before where people compare the Greek and Roman gods. Perhaps between knowing all three you could find the missing link? Just an idea.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:02 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
I don't know much about the Greek culture.
I do know that from reading Taciturn and Julius Caesar that they compare some of the germanic gods to Roman gods. I have seen before where people compare the Greek and Roman gods. Perhaps between knowing all three you could find the missing link? Just an idea.

Woden is equated with Mercury, Tyr with Mars (Mars Thingus- Mars of the thing), but Donar is both Jupiter and Herakles.

Maybe the link is Snorri? Herakles rose up to Olympus and became a god, just as Snorri claimed happened with the Æsir...

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:51 am

It is my belief that the stories of old are so diluted by time that we do not understand them. The original ones moved and migrated.

Who knows who helped them and what things they knew. There are ancient statues of "odin" (one eyed god) in a spaceship type deal buried deep beneath Guatemala.

"Interpretatio graeca"

Through the power of self it is believed we may be looked upon yet by those to come. We should no see ourselves so far removed from people who look and act differently. Our farthest ancestors do lie in the same halls of forgotten nothingness.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]