View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Personal view of the gods and their lives. 

I remember growing up as a Christian always being told that God is watching us and we are under his wings and his protection. This concerned me for more than one reason.
First: I thought if that is true then why do bad things seem to happen so frequently.
Secondly: it bothered me that such a (supposedly) perfect god was sitting above me watching and judging my every move. At times it even tormented me, because while I knew I believed in the spirit world I did not live that Christian life and it scared me cause I figured...well I guess I'm just going to hell then...he needs to stop watching my bad self before.I corrupt him.

Funny how my life changed when I discovered a path that resonated with my most inner beliefs and made me refine who I was. All I had to do was lose my religion.

I was told to depend on god....I did and nothing ever came of it.

I learned of my ancestral ways and learned to depend upon myself and to HONOUR the gods and godesses.

It comforts me to know that our gods are probably not even focused on me. Some possibly may not even know who I am. They are busy doing what they do. But I may be able to get them to notice me by how I live my life and the feats that I may accomplish.

Hail the Aesir and Vanir. May we never fear them, always honour them, and one day feast with them in halls filled.with mead and pork.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:57 am

Hail the Aesir!

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 pm
Site Admin

Odin in his high seat can see anything in the Nine Worlds, but only if he looks at something. He is not omniscient. He cannot see everything all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hlidskjalf

You may know that one of the reasons for the Odin Brotherhood is to attract the attention of the gods. Ordinary mortals will be ignored by the gods--just as most humans ignore boring people.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:32 pm

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Odin in his high seat can see anything in the Nine Worlds, but only if he looks at something. He is not omniscient. He cannot see everything all the time.

You may know that one of the reasons for the Odin Brotherhood is to attract the attention of the gods. Ordinary mortals will be ignored by the gods--just as most humans ignore boring people.

Thanks for writing that. I had forgotten about that. There is so much content in the Eddas. I think I could read them and the sagas a dozen times and still learn something new or remember something old.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:03 am

I agree with Odin Brotherhood.

The way my family raised me is that the Gods are like very respectable elder relatives of a great family to which we are born into. Just like one may have great aunts and uncles that have done great things in real life that make them admirable and people whom you would hope would take your under their wing to learn what made them so incredible- so it is like the Gods.

Imagine our people being the grand-neices and nephews of a family of all very different but very successful people in a variety of ways... some are war heroes, some are inventors, some a musicians, another may be writer, and another an artist and so on. They love their family- but when you are a great-aunt or great-uncle with many brothers and sisters you have dozens, if not hundreds of blood related younger generation people.

The ones you will seek to find, if you are one of these great people who lived such an amazing life would be children of your blood who stand out- who have good qualities in which you can see the seeds of greatness.

However- sometimes, there is no one in your own bloodline who is receptive to what you have to share- thus, that is why there are many non-Europeans with Odinist patrons as well. Sometimes, we need to be reminded that blood isn't everything and that good men and women fit into the culture of our ethic better than some who were born into Odinism like my family.

Ultimately, to us- the Gods are like our extended family. The closer they are to us is in how we make them proud and how open we are to being taught to be great.

An interesting thing to note: In this analogy used, I do have a family with literally "Great" uncles and aunts- and my Odinist father has been very successful in his line of work as well.

What I find very interesting is that my German (Pa Deitsch) side just sees us all as Woten's primarily with lesser emphasis on patron (Woten is patron to all- but you may get the attention of others)...while the Latvian side is more egalitarian with each person having a primary patron- then the patrons of the family are honored (with their Latvian names). Patron Gods do run in the family. Tyr was my late grandfather's, Loki is my father's. I honor Freyr because grandma is his, and Heimdallr watches my uncle and likely my brother who decided on agnosticism. On my father's side- it seems that perhaps he only got Loki as his Patron after he married and was exposed to the Latvian culture- his side of the family does not talk about the Hexerei in our family traditions. They hate that I even talk about it. The Latvian side is thankful to be allowed to be at a point in history to allow them to practice freely.

Thor/Donar/Perkuns (all the same- different names) seems to be universally honored and very popular by all cultures in my family. Odin, oddly, is not one of the primary Gods of the Lettish culture of that side of the family, but exists in their culture as the one who "walks among mankind" where theory is that their pantheon-leader is seen as Tyr (just as some even more North see Ullr as their primary) - whereas Odin is certainly the focus of the German side.

Sorry for the rambling, but I guess I can sum this all up in a sentence.

The Christian God is said to be omniscient, omnipresent, et al... meaning he would literally be watching you on the toilet- and he expects you to know it.
Our Northern Gods would be like family- sure, they could walk into the bathroom if you are using it if they certainly WANTED to...but why would they? They have better things to do than watch you poop.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I supposed if I sent you a picture of my face it might sum the opinion I have of such topics

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 am

Baleyg wrote:
I supposed if I sent you a picture of my face it might sum the opinion I have of such topics

I doubt it.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:05 am

It may help with your doubt to meet a brother.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:16 pm

I might read your face in a poker game or if you were my brother in the flesh, other than that, I doubt if I would know what you were thinking.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Perhaps you could enlighten me...

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:08 pm

I live with the blessing of our father, a pain to be seen mentally and physically.

Those among you who live depressed, and gaze deeply into the abyss - Baleyg wishes you subscribe to a sense of community.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:56 pm

But I'm not depressed.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Baleyg, I mean this as a compliment, even if it doesn't seem like it.
I can only handle so much of you at a time. You are abrasive to me (like I am to many people).
But I have never used sandpaper except when finishing up a project that I want to have a polished look.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Baleyg, I mean this as a compliment, even if it doesn't seem like it.
I can only handle so much of you at a time. You are abrasive to me (like I am to many people).
But I have never used sandpaper except when finishing up a project that I want to have a polished look.

The elders, our ancestors, and the gods would wish you to speak to your brothers in a manor which does not first need to be polished.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:33 pm

Maybe so

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:10 am

I like Baleyg's posts.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:34 pm

I also like a lot Baleyg posts.

He adds a different layer of thought on these threads and I also appreciate the art behind it.

But thinking on pure communication, sometimes, less is better.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:20 am

I just meant me personally cause I have to think too much. Y'all are reading too much into it.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:28 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:

"Boring" strikes me as a very fitting word here. Well said.
r

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:05 am

The keen eye ignores nothing. Remember this, my brothers.

You would not know the gods if they spoke to you or stood before you. It is impossible to begin to understand things, as even our gods had a burning desire to consult greater wisdoms.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next