View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Rationalizing Myths 

Tyrienne wrote:
Science, in itself, has reached the level of being a religion in itself....

Science is the other side of the coin from religion, both attempting to answer the same questions from different angles and usually getting it wrong. Truths are stumbled upon yet many would not see it. Still, some cover it up. When will they acknowledge that the shamans had the answers for twenty millennia or more?

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:25 am

Science is of utmost value and one must be careful of over stroking one's ego when challenging science.

Most people are lay people and only understand a "50,000 ft view" of the science that they interact with daily, but that doesn't stop some (like David Wolfe) from creating an empire based on lies and deception and "what feels good" (which 99% of the time is wrong).

True, replicateable science (meaning a random science can repeat your test and get the same results) is a great benefit to humanity. Its the junk science (like thinking Himalayan pink sea salt is somehow beneficial) that we can do without (junk science that relies on "what feels good" and playing to people's childish desires).

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:18 am

brushwolf wrote:
Science is of utmost value and one must be careful of over stroking one's ego when challenging science.

Most people are lay people and only understand a "50,000 ft view" of the science that they interact with daily, but that doesn't stop some (like David Wolfe) from creating an empire based on lies and deception and "what feels good" (which 99% of the time is wrong).

True, replicateable science (meaning a random science can repeat your test and get the same results) is a great benefit to humanity. Its the junk science (like thinking Himalayan pink sea salt is somehow beneficial) that we can do without (junk science that relies on "what feels good" and playing to people's childish desires).

Brushwolf, I have heard the term "scientism" to describe what you call "junk science" and I agree with you both for your defense of science and your concern with junk science. I would like to emphasize that "junk science" is not science at all. Sometimes people take things which are true, good science, and then draw conclusions, not science, based on their logic. This is not unlike the 4 blind monks (or 7, or 9, depending on the version of the story you are familiar with) who took turns describing an elephant. The one stroking its trunk said an elephant is like a snake. The one stroking its leg said it is like a tree. The one stroking its tail said it was like a rope. The one strolling its body described it as a breathing rock. Likewise, science in parts or out of context tends to lead to scientism, or bad conclusions, and while I think it is important that we don't throw the baby out with the bath water, I do think that when the time comes the bathwater still needs to get thrown out.
r

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:47 am

RedSon wrote:
brushwolf wrote:

Brushwolf, I have heard the term "scientism" to describe what you call "junk science" and I agree with you both for your defense of science and your concern with junk science. I would like to emphasize that "junk science" is not science at all. Sometimes people take things which are true, good science, and then draw conclusions, not science, based on their logic. This is not unlike the 4 blind monks (or 7, or 9, depending on the version of the story you are familiar with) who took turns describing an elephant. The one stroking its trunk said an elephant is like a snake. The one stroking its leg said it is like a tree. The one stroking its tail said it was like a rope. The one strolling its body described it as a breathing rock. Likewise, science in parts or out of context tends to lead to scientism, or bad conclusions, and while I think it is important that we don't throw the baby out with the bath water, I do think that when the time comes the bathwater still needs to get thrown out.
r

Concur,

Part of the issue, a major part (in my observation, and keeping it "Reader's Digest"), is folks are empowered in avenues they really "shouldn't" be empowered in, and are allowed to run with it.

For example, just take a look around at the many folks who you wouldn't trust to hold a glass of water for you purporting to be "nutrition experts" (or [insert here] expert). Now go look at how many have made it a living (Food Babe, David Wolfe). Dig a bit deeper and you have a continuous loop (echo chamber, for the most part) of this that continues to grow as it gets inertia (for example, sharing some stupid "Dr." Tenpenny meme on facebook a million times, which gets 500,000 follows, which gets 300,000 eyes on "healthy product", which creates 100,000 new buys of "healthy" Himalayan Pink Sea Salt (which, when tested under PROPER scrutiny, is a far scarier (and more expensive) condiment than table salt).

It is sad, really.

The placebo effect is strong (and that is replicateable).

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2