View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Svartalves 

I've heard that these are dark elves, dwarfs, and elves that look like dwarfs. Any clarification?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:33 am

Svartalfaheim (World of the black elves) is mentioned a couple of times in the Eddas, have a look at page 286, The binding of Fenrir, in the Norroena version (Free download on this site) Gylfaginning 34 and Skaldskaparmal 39 Otters ransom. I hope this throws a bit of light on your question also if you have a copy of Simeks dictionary of Northern mythology there are references there to the Svartalfar.
Rurik

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:17 am

Thank you for the heads up!

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:23 am

The Dwarves live in the Earth, and are great craftsmen and keepers of knowledge. they Forged Mjolnir, Gungnir, Freyr's Boar, Odin's Ring, and some other stuff. it is suspected that upon touching the sun, a dwarf will turn to the stone of which they are made.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Follow up

Svartalf= Dark Elf.
Dvergar= Dwarf. They are often used interchangably.

Svartalfheimr is "Dark Elf Home" but also considered the dwarf home since the terms are used inerchangably. It makes sense for there to be no dwarves and be dark elves because the light elves are clearly identified, so if there wasnt another kind why would they be called "Light Elves" and not just "Elves"

BUT!
Niðavellir is mentioned in the Voluspa as a mountainous region far north and home to the Dwarves. I prefer this notion over the dark elves.

Tue May 19, 2015 7:03 pm

DefenderofMountains wrote:
Follow up

Svartalf= Dark Elf.
Dvergar= Dwarf. They are often used interchangably.

Svartalfheimr is "Dark Elf Home" but also considered the dwarf home since the terms are used inerchangably. It makes sense for there to be no dwarves and be dark elves because the light elves are clearly identified, so if there wasnt another kind why would they be called "Light Elves" and not just "Elves"

BUT!
Niðavellir is mentioned in the Voluspa as a mountainous region far north and home to the Dwarves. I prefer this notion over the dark elves.

I prefer the notion of there being both dark elves and dwarves, but I do wish I could find more matter of fact info. I guess I'll just go with my intuition on this one, and believe there is indeed a group separate from the dwarves.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:45 pm

For those seeking to learn more, you may find this PDF of value:
Elves, Wights, and Trolls: Studies Towards the Practice of Germanic Odinism by Kveldulf Gundarsson

Edited to add:
I just noticed that Fand had referenced this work a short while earlier. I always find it of particular interest when the same source surfaces multiple times in a fairly short period.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
Elves, Wights, and Trolls: Studies Towards the Practice of Germanic Odinism by Kveldulf Gundarsson

Edited to add:
I just noticed that Fand had referenced this work a short while earlier. I always find it of particular interest when the same source surfaces multiple times in a fairly short period.

Thank you for the link!

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Tyrsman wrote:

Edited to add:

Did I? Funny! Sometimes I'm such a space cadet, I have to wonder if I don't exist in two minds! Which one of me is doing the thinking today? Haha!

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm

From what I understand, svartalfr= black elf , a kenning for dwarves.
Dokkalfar= dark elf, a sooty crude version of ljosalfar .

Dokkalfar are open to breeding with other races while ljosalfar , at large, are concerned with keeping their blood lines pure. Ljosalfar seem to have favor in the eyes of the AESIR, seemingly this is not so with the dokkalfar.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:47 am

north wrote:
From what I understand, svartalfr= black elf , a kenning for dwarves.
Dokkalfar= dark elf, a sooty crude version of ljosalfar .

Dokkalfar are open to breeding with other races while ljosalfar , at large, are concerned with keeping their blood lines pure. Ljosalfar seem to have favor in the eyes of the AESIR, seemingly this is not so with the dokkalfar.

While I'm no expert, I'm inclined to doubt what has been handed down in the lore. It strikes me as Christian tampering.
The physically ugly and degraded booby man and the lovely angelic light elves. I can imagine in earlier times, the Christian priests trying to pass the light elves off as angels and the dark elves off as demons/fallen angels.

Here's what I believe and why:
It relates to my one past life regressions. I'm not 100% certain what I was, and as it is only my own spiritual experience, I don't expect anyone to adopt my views, so bear with me. I saw in my regressions that I didn't not originate in Midgard. I came from some other world/realm. I saw myself and my kind as having long lifespans, but could be killed. I am not sure if we were immortals though, but it felt like it. No one was aged in the way humans age. But I could see age through the eyes. Like windows to the soul, and feel it. If I had to call myself something, I'd say I was an elf, a light elf.
I have a spiritual connection to an entity who is dark. He was with me in multiple past lives. Similar in a lot of ways, but energetically different. This being has a very dark aura, though is fair skinned, as are his people. In some visions, he seems tolerated by my own kind, almost like an emissary, or something. I realize this all sounds rather out there, and I could go into so much detail, but I won't. Suffice it to say, I have searched and made lots of inquiries to try to find out what he is, and no one can tell me, but my intuition says he's a dark elf.
On do in some research, I was talking to someone who is well versed in lore and experienced in shamanism. He informed me that the dark elves practice blood sorcery. If so, then it would fit with this being.
Also, I believe the dark elves also take care to keep their blood lines pure. There are surely exceptions, but it seems right.
I believe the dark elves can cast shadow over themselves, much like a light elf might seem radiant, the dark elf would seem, well, dark. Perhaps, that'd could give people the impression they are dark skinned, especially if they don't take the time to see through the shadows.
As for being evil, or bad, I think that's a matter of perspective, akin to how a deer perceives a wolf.
This is how I've interpreted all this for years, and unable to find any better explanations.
I'd be curious though, to hear of other's experiences with the dark elves, if anyone here has had any dealings with them. For me, it wasn't a connection I deliberately sought out. I hadn't even heard of dark elves before I started to regressions and astral projections, and had very limited perspectives of elves at the time.
I've pondered over whether this dark being could be demonic, vampiric, alien, interdimensional, etc. Nothing quite felt fitting, except dark elf.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:15 pm

I meant to write boogy man, but my phone autocorrected to booby man. Haha!

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Fand, this doesn't sound weird or far fetched. I have questions unanswered and some are along similar lines to your experience. Thanks for sharing. Stormr

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:36 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Fand, this doesn't sound weird or far fetched. I have questions unanswered and some are along similar lines to your experience. Thanks for sharing. Stormr

Thank you for humouring me. Most people tend to mock if I share my experiences.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Fand:

When I say crude, I don't mean ugly. Primal would be more fitting term, More inclined to the elder ways. I seem them like pagans and the light elves like christians. Yet they are beyond those things. And the soot may or may not be from living and working under ground and in mines and forges. I can't say for certain.

I use myth and lore from other indo European beliefs to fill in the fragments until the time being when I may drink from the well of Mimir and remember all things. In all reason, the angels and demons of the christian bible really don't seem that different from god, elf, and jotun. But thats just my two cents.

I don't think it weird that you identify with elves. Indeed there are Many tales of trysts between mundane and arcane creatures, and i know scores of people that seem to have alfar blood, duergar blood, and trolls blood on account of their mannerisms and visages. Really, it's not so far fetched

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:19 am

north wrote:
Fand:

When I say crude, I don't mean ugly. Primal would be more fitting term, More inclined to the elder ways. I seem them like pagans and the light elves like christians. Yet they are beyond those things. And the soot may or may not be from living and working under ground and in mines and forges. I can't say for certain.

I use myth and lore from other indo European beliefs to fill in the fragments until the time being when I may drink from the well of Mimir and remember all things. In all reason, the angels and demons of the christian bible really don't seem that different from god, elf, and jotun. But thats just my two cents.

I don't think it weird that you identify with elves. Indeed there are Many tales of trysts between mundane and arcane creatures, and i know scores of people that seem to have alfar blood, duergar blood, and trolls blood on account of their mannerisms and visages. Really, it's not so far fetched

I see what you mean by your comparisons. It seems likely to me the Christians hijacked the personages of the pagan cultures and just renamed and slightly altered them to make them more fitting to their new religion.
Elder ways is something I'm intrigued by. I'd love to know what all that would be like, especially in this context as opposed to human ways of old. I wish I had a better handle on my abilities of astral projection, regression, and the like. Feels like a wealth of knowledge is just waiting, if I could only direct my intuition more effectively. Instead, it all just comes in spurts and fragments, or dreams where, though lucid, my priorities during such dreams are vastly different from my conscious waking mind. Now, with a 2 year old daughter, finding time for such endeavours is nearly impossible.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:37 am

Yes the crusaders of the white christ were wise in the conception of their religion. If i we're a rich elite and wanted conquer pagan masses I too would blend pagan myth and lore into the new religion. People are comfortable with that which they are familiar.

You already know what it's all about. It's just a matter of remembering then living in accord with what you know. Instead of wishing, dedicate yourself to find five or ten minutes a day to practicing the arts, for a wealth of knowledge IS at your grasp. Be patient with yourself, but not so as to fall into stagnace .. the hunter who rushes seldom brings home game yet the wolf that lies idle shall win little meat, or the sleeping man succes.

If you feel like it, look into the following hypnosis mind training program, it is worthy of study and practice .

http://hypnosis-kids.amazing-hypnosis.c ... aining.htm

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 pm

north wrote:
Yes the crusaders of the white christ were wise in the conception of their religion. If i we're a rich elite and wanted conquer pagan masses I too would blend pagan myth and lore into the new religion. People are comfortable with that which they are familiar.

You already know what it's all about. It's just a matter of remembering then living in accord with what you know. Instead of wishing, dedicate yourself to find five or ten minutes a day to practicing the arts, for a wealth of knowledge IS at your grasp. Be patient with yourself, but not so as to fall into stagnace .. the hunter who rushes seldom brings home game yet the wolf that lies idle shall win little meat, or the sleeping man succes.

If you feel like it, look into the following hypnosis mind training program, it is worthy of study and practice .

http://hypnosis-kids.amazing-hypnosis.c ... aining.htm

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:07 pm

There is a youtube video about them on the Northern Runes Radio channel i listened to halfway yesterday. it was informative. They also suggested that book.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Here is a link to download a podcast (just under 20 minutes in lenght) about the Huldufólk that some will find informative.

The author, Aaron Mahnke, is a writer of fiction novels but he weaves meticulously researched folklore into his tales. I have not listened to all of his Lore podcasts but have come across several references to our Northern mythologies.

(If the link does not work the website is lorepodcast.com and this is episode #5 - Under Construction)

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]