View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Skålgrube (Alfar Stones) 

https://www.facebook.com/norsewomen/photos/a.595718663791939.1073741828.595093170521155/751662831530854/?type=1&theater
This stone with its small holes is caled a 'Skålgrube'
which dates to the Bronze Age in Sweden.

Skålgrube, or 'cup marks', are deliberately carved rocks that have been found throughout Scandinavia. They are also known as 'älvkvarnar' which are said to be purposed for small elf grinding mills.

The holes are filled with sacrificed food (like butter or cream) and are then left for elves.

Elves have maintained their significance both in Norse lore and in Scandinavian culture since ancient times and are still given recognition, respect, and consideration by people today. There have even been instances of construction projects in Scandinavia being delayed in modern times due to the consideration of elves and land wights.

Sat May 03, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile YIM

Great share! Thank you! A lot of people here in America host fairies. They make and sell fairy houses and all of the comforts, especially to eat and drink. I never looked into it too much because I thought it was a wiccan thing. Of course, I knew fairies, trolls, and gnomes to be Scandinavian. I mean the houses. I thought they were a modern concept, and since I only knew of wiccans doing it, thought it was only practiced by wiccans today. Thanks for the knowledge!

Sat May 03, 2014 10:45 pm

The words weren't my own, but I would agree with the anonymous person's interpretation of it's use and purpose. Whether man-made as was the case for these stones, or naturally occuring, hallowed out stones, and hallowed trees with moss (especially on the left side), were considered places you'd find landwights, usually gnissen ("gnomes"). Certain wild, hallocinogenic mushrooms, such as the Amanita Muscaria mushroom are also associated with gnissen. In Denmark one of the terms for those kind of mushrooms are called "gnisse maske ("gnome hats").

If you come upon a hallowed tree with moss on the left side, and you dig at it's base and find some white stones amongst black stones, and you get a vibe like those stones shouldn't naturally be there, those in particular were sometimes made as offerings to Ran. While Freya is the main goddess of love, one of the things few people know about Ran is that she helps people meet, and matches them with others compatible to marry. This of course, is not the same as the goddess, Lofn, who helped lovers in "Romeo & Juliet situations," that would have been prevented or forbidden to marry otherwise.

Skuld The Norn wrote:
Great share! Thank you! A lot of people here in America host fairies. They make and sell fairy houses and all of the comforts, especially to eat and drink. I never looked into it too much because I thought it was a wiccan thing. Of course, I knew fairies, trolls, and gnomes to be Scandinavian. I mean the houses. I thought they were a modern concept, and since I only knew of wiccans doing it, thought it was only practiced by wiccans today. Thanks for the knowledge!

Sun May 04, 2014 12:26 pm
Profile YIM

Unfortunately, I live in a location where such discoveries would be rare if even existent. Not much support for people like is for many miles, so no one on this path expresses it in any way. I can't even find a reliable group to see my first Asatru or Odinist celebration. Those that claim they are have been modernized with wiccan involvement. Even if I wasn't a solitary, I'd be forced to be. Even solitaries need kinship.

Sun May 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Gøgling wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/norsewomen/photos/a.595718663791939.1073741828.595093170521155/751662831530854/?type=1&theater
This stone with its small holes is caled a 'Skålgrube'
which dates to the Bronze Age in Sweden.

Skålgrube, or 'cup marks', are deliberately carved rocks that have been found throughout Scandinavia. They are also known as 'älvkvarnar' which are said to be purposed for small elf grinding mills.

The holes are filled with sacrificed food (like butter or cream) and are then left for elves.

Elves have maintained their significance both in Norse lore and in Scandinavian culture since ancient times and are still given recognition, respect, and consideration by people today. There have even been instances of construction projects in Scandinavia being delayed in modern times due to the consideration of elves and land wights.

Very interesting! Thanks, Gøgling for sharing.

I grew up with much talk of the elves, especially the Jul Nisse.

You might enjoy this documentary from Iceland ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjatXe ... 7dFFSATZEg
... many first hand experiences, as well as an example of a construction project moved, just as you've spoke of here.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 am

OH! Watch Odinsdatter's video link! It's amazing! I've seen it twice already.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]