View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Freyr and Alfheimr 

Currently looking for information, books, blogs and anything that will Illuminate the road to better understanding of the Helpers of Alfheimr.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:00 pm

There is a whole chapter on it in Kveldulf Gundarsson's Book 'Elves, Wrights and Trolls' it is also touched upon in 'Of Ghosts and Godpoles,, By Thorbeorht Linleah. There is also a different look at them in 'The Tradition of Household Spirits: Ancestral Lore and Practices' by Claude Lecouteux.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Heil! I do have the book that Gunderson wrote, i do recommend that as well it was very eye opening on the possibility of connection with the spirit folk. Not really a whole lot of information on the subject of Frey and the Vanir at least not what we already have from the sagas and the old poems, especially workings with the Elven kind. I know that they hold a very powerful role with in the cosmology of our Ancestors. Still will be looking and meditating on the subject matter.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 am

The Latvians view Freyr and their Ancestral hero Jani/Janis (pronounced "Yah-niss") as the same figure in Dievturiba Paganism. It is definately not mainstream, but most of what I know of Freyr comes from my Latvian grandmother.

She believes that our people go to Alfheimr when we die and that our ethnic group is descended from one of many times he walked among humans on this plane.

However, be aware there are less than 700 Dievturiba in the world and their views will always be a minority as a result. Other than that I suggest Swedish or Icelandic sources considering that is where the holiday of Freyfaxi remains celebrated as most clearly Asatru.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 am

Shadow.Raven wrote:
Currently looking for information, books, blogs and anything that will Illuminate the road to better understanding of the Helpers of Alfheimr.

Freyr wishes to find us. Recently have I also been so compelled and have entertained the rituals and blessing of the god. There is much information regarding the old ones, but best to develop your own personal connection.

It was the tradition for a statue of the god, known most prominently by the giant erect phallus (freyrs blessing), to arrive at a town drawn by horse carriage. It was considered a sacred and holy time of peace, for which the god is most known. All iron items were to be laid down and the town was to enjoy a time of peace and merriment, until the statue had left and work resumed.

I wonder if we can measure the violence caused by men of shorter phallic stature. Such thoughts freyr enjoys.

Go with peace, my brother.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:38 am

Baleyg wrote:
Shadow.Raven wrote:

Freyr wishes to find us. Recently have I also been so compelled and have entertained the rituals and blessing of the god. There is much information regarding the old ones, but best to develop your own personal connection.

It was the tradition for a statue of the god, known most prominently by the giant erect phallus (freyrs blessing), to arrive at a town drawn by horse carriage. It was considered a sacred and holy time of peace, for which the god is most known. All iron items were to be laid down and the town was to enjoy a time of peace and merriment, until the statue had left and work resumed.

I wonder if we can measure the violence caused by men of shorter phallic stature. Such thoughts freyr enjoys.

Go with peace, my brother.

Can you please tell me your sources for this information, so ican read it all in the books its come from. Many thanks...

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]