View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Otherworldly Beings 

I'd like to open up a discussion about the various beings of the other world's.
One thing I've been wondering is whether the elves and svartalfar are subordinate to the Aesir and Vanir? It seems humans are more or less subordinate, at least they act as if they are. (Worshipping the gods)
Do the elves and dark elves or dwarves answer to the Aesir and Vanir or do they more or less rank as equals? Are they like us, having a sort of religion of their own? Upon what is their magic based?

What are the different beings of the world tree and what are their corresponding worlds?
What are those worlds like? For example, Musplheim (spelling?)?

Something else I'd like to know more about:
Njörd, what role he plays,
Freya ,
Her husband Of. What do we know of him?
Their two daughters, Hnoss and Gersemi. What is their story? I have not been able to find much on these sisters, and nothing beyond the name and parentage of Gersemi.
The Valkyrie. We all know the glorious legend of the beautiful battle goddesses claiming the dead, but how much do we really know about them? What are they? Is it more like a job description or are they a sort of race of beings on their own? We know Freya is what, their leader? But she is of the Vanir, Njörd's daughter. How did she become a Valkyrie? How did she gain this connection? Can one stop beings Valkyrie? Can they be killed? Do they actually fight?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Fand wrote:
One thing I've been wondering is whether the elves and svartalfar are subordinate to the Aesir and Vanir? It seems humans are more or less subordinate, at least they act as if they are. (Worshipping the gods)
Do the elves and dark elves or dwarves answer to the Aesir and Vanir or do they more or less rank as equals? Are they like us, having a sort of religion of their own? Upon what is their magic based?

What are the different beings of the world tree and what are their corresponding worlds?

Freya ,
Their two daughters, Hnoss and Gersemi. What is their story? I have not been able to find much on these sisters, and nothing beyond the name and parentage of Gersemi.
The Valkyrie. We all know the glorious legend of the beautiful battle goddesses claiming the dead, but how much do we really know about them? What are they? Is it more like a job description or are they a sort of race of beings on their own? We know Freya is what, their leader? But she is of the Vanir, Njörd's daughter. How did she become a Valkyrie? How did she gain this connection? Can one stop beings Valkyrie? Can they be killed? Do they actually fight?

http://www.northernpaganism.org/ Most of this website is UPG. I find it very useful. Check out all the links on the side bar under "online shrines".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNF ... h4uIjYvufg This YouTube channel is by a man named Dr. Jackson Crawford. I have found it to be very useful. He explains pronunciations of Old Norse and much about Germanic languages in general. He also does videos about specific deities, the alfar, valkyries, etc... all based on the lore. He also has a book called the COWBOY HAVAMAL and has translated the Eddas in his own words. I look forward to buying his translation, if for nothing else to support him for giving the world a wealth of knowledge.

Both of these links should help you in your personal knowledge and for your writings you are doing.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Fand wrote:

Freya ,

http://www.northernpaganism.org/ Most of this website is UPG. I find it very useful. Check out all the links on the side bar under "online shrines".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNF ... h4uIjYvufg This YouTube channel is by a man named Dr. Jackson Crawford. I have found it to be very useful. He explains pronunciations of Old Norse and much about Germanic languages in general. He also does videos about specific deities, the alfar, valkyries, etc... all based on the lore. He also has a book called the COWBOY HAVAMAL and has translated the Eddas in his own words. I look forward to buying his translation, if for nothing else to support him for giving the world a wealth of knowledge.

Both of these links should help you in your personal knowledge and for your writings you are doing.

Thank you for the links. Not sure when or if I'll be able to watch the YouTube videos. I don't have the internet speed for that. Text is always better for me in this age of illiteracy! Haha!

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Fand wrote:

Freya ,

It depends if you want to take the myths at face value, or as mysteries of parables with underlying meanings of the cosmos and evolution of soul...
From my understanding it is light elves actually who are the "highest" beings in the myths, as they live in worlds higher and beyond that of asgard. The aesir and the vanir are the "ruling powers" they who create and maintain the order of the cosmos, so most "lesser" beings pay homage and reverence to them due to this, because it enables them to experience and evolve. Some beings work contrary to these powers and Will the cosmos to return to chaos and entropy.

There are also beings who reside in the Grey area of it all, not really concerned about any of that struggle. All beings answer to the beckons of aesir vanir or heroes due to these characters exercising the primordial Divine Power, even the chaos mongers. Humans weren't actually meant to be subordinate. They were given the blood and breath of the Inspirerer to partake in the divine power and sit at the round table of the gods. Odin never meant men to worship per say, but rather to call apon the divine powers without to strengthen the powers within, and to demonstrate thankfulness for the gods granting us the knowledge and understanding, the skills and ingenuity and technology that we may become and sit at that round table.
If the elves and dwarves have a religion, its probably similar to the highest of ours: pythagorean mathematics, astrology, astronomy, yoga, ancestor worship etc. Their magic is probably similar to ours, with bases on the power of The Word( just in their own dialects) , alchemy, and Spagyrical arts.

You aught travel the nine worlds of yggdrasil yourself to find out for your own ;) the world tree symbolizes the universe, the 9 worlds symbolize nine different dimensions.. In truth the beings of our universe are many and varied

I'll tell you this about valkyria, they come from all the "races" of Norse cosmology.
These ladies are fate spinning goddesses like the norns in a sense.. Valkyrias are the personal flygia(followers) of warriors. Indeed, they pertain to the warriors very Soul. Indeed, if a warrior has awoken his personal fate goddess she will war on his behalf, heal him, teach him the runes, and give him a drink of the precious Mead. Only the warrior who has awoken his personal fate goddess and gained her Embrace is worthy to go to the halls of the chosen slain (Valhalla)

Freya is one of the original fate spinners, that's why she is queen of the valkyria.
Freyyas husband Odr is Odin, who goes wandering seeking knowledge and experience.. It is said in older times Freya and Frigg were one and the same.

All your questions are answered in depth by maria kvilhaug in her book the seed of yggdrasil, probably the best book to date on understanding the hidden meanings of Norse mythology .

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 pm

North, thank you so very much for that very informative reply. You have not answered all my questions, but certainly given me much to ponder, and I appreciate the book recommendation. I will look for it.
Have you ever journeyed to the other realms? I've had dreams and astral projections which I believe showed me a few of these worlds, though which I cannot be certain. Muspelheim may be one. Such a strange world, whatever it was. The ground was frozen like ice, translucent in places where I could see the red molten matter beneath, so close to the surface. The sky was rather dark, the geography appeared quite hostile, compared to our earth. But I felt strangely at ease. I don't know why I saw this, or what it could mean. Other dreams were more clear in their purpose.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 am

Yes, i have traveled to other realms and dimensions. I couldn't tell you which planes of reality they were as my skills for that sort of thing are as it is, limited.
I can tell you this though: when I want to travel I close my eyes and put pressure on them. Everything begins as dark but with little particles of red blue and purple, blinking in and out of existence. After some time a neon green ring appears. I then project into the ring and thereafter travel to other realms or dimensions, as if the ring was a gateway. The experience is vivid and full of imagery and scenery, characters and strange runes. I can't say this method will work for everyone , as we are all individuals but this is one of the ways that works for me.

Fasting, psychedelics, deep meditation, extreme exertion, and near death experiences are among that which I've used and known many others likewise with use thereby to go into other realms and states of consciousness that make it easier to connect with the eldritch.

It sounds as if you as well have vivid happenings in your travels thus far. I'm sure if you worked at it you could discern even better in such occasions then most men.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Fand
One does not worship. That is for the monotheistic follower, we honour and respect. Never worship.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 pm

mundbora wrote:
Fand
One does not worship. That is for the monotheistic follower, we honour and respect. Never worship.

The word "worship" derives from the Saxon "weordscipe" and, as such, predates the advent of monotheistic religion in Europe by centuries if not millennia. Its meaning is, " to be worthy of distinction, honor, and renown." Which is pretty much how we comport ourselves with relation to our gods. It's counterproductive to quibble about words just because other traditions try to hijack them.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 am

I want to thank you all, especially north, for the caring in the form of sharing, happening in this thread.

Personally I want to gauge out my eyes so I won't be able to blink and distort my visions.

I'm gonna try this but with a thick soft cloth between my eyes and hands, in order to prevent movement of the eyeballs.

Regards Grimnir

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]