View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Asatru-U 

[code][/code]For those who are new to Odinism/Asatru, as well as those who just seek information, the Asatru-U Beginner's Course is an excellent resource. It provides a wealth of information from a wide variety of sources and does not appear to favor one particular school of thought over others. It is comprised mostly of links, sorted by category, to other websites and a brief overview of the topic and the linked site.

http://www.asatru-u.org/beginner/asau-beginner-outline.htm

(This is a older website, there may a few links that are no longer valid)

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:21 pm
Site Admin

Thank you for the post.

The Brotherhood recommends that all information be studied, but a great deal of the material at the above link is NOT what we teach. We do not teach, for example, that dead Odinists live inside grave mounds.

The asatru-u material is called reconstructionism. This "ism" uses sagas and other sources to reproduce the old ways.

The Brotherhood studies such sources, but we represent a tradition that has existed for centuries. Our teachings have been handed down directly, from generation to generation.

Some of us have even received the lore directly from the gods.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:56 am

I agree. To me there is a big difference between what modern people call Asatru (especially in America) and Odinism as it is practiced by the Brotherhood.

Just yesterday someone I know said they thought that most American Asatru was much like American McDonalds. It is like a strange hybrid of many other, older ways. It is important to know the difference I guess.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:13 am

The problem with Asatru is they seem to be taught to believe the old ways "Died" and need to be "brought back".

Those of us with living families from Europe are very confused by this.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:11 am

Tyrienne wrote:
The problem with Asatru is they seem to be taught to believe the old ways "Died" and need to be "brought back".

Those of us with living families from Europe are very confused by this.

I think that may just be related to the fact that many of us are just now finding our way back home. I know that for myself, it was a reawakening, an important part of my heritage laid dormant for generations before finally being reawakened.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:18 am
Site Admin

In fact, some members of public Asatru groups, the organizations founded in the 1970's. sometimes attack and ridicule the notion that Odinism has never died out.

Such sniping does not help the lore or the movement, so I am not certain why they do what they do.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
In fact, some members of public Asatru groups, the organizations founded in the 1970's. sometimes attack and ridicule the notion that Odinism has never died out.

Such sniping does not help the lore or the movement, so I am not certain why they do what they do.

Ego and petty mindedness

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]