View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Interpret a dream 

Greetings,

I have recently become an Odinist. However, on the night I made the decision, I had a dream. I was in my house, with the doors and windows closed. I don't remember what happened next, but I remember discussing a spirit or entity with my family. I remember that I looked into a book, and it mentioned that it was a higher being. After I finished reading the entry (in the book) I decided that I had to battle it. Just as I went out on my front porch, a large house fly attacked me. (I read somewhere after that Loki can shape-shift).

If anyone could interpret my dream, it would be appreciated.

May Odin guide you,
Will

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:21 am

Welcome to the forum.

Interpreting somebody else's dream is difficult, usually the symbology of a dream has specific meaning to the dreamer. But sometimes hearing somebody else's thoughts can help shed light.

Generally I would take a room with all windows and doors closed as something occurring in a place of refuge and secrecy.

Books usually represent knowledge.

If you were not aware of Loki's shape-shifting abilities before your dream then it is not likely to have been a factor (although you may have heard the story and not realized that it was in your mind). I would suggest that you consider what a fly represents to you. Once you determine that you must decide if it is the entity you learned of and went to battle or if it was something trying to prevent the conflict and why.

Good luck in your journey.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:29 am

I don't know if you are coming in from another religion or atheism, agnosticism or what have you...You were in YOUR house with your windows and doors shut. You were with family, so perhaps in a family room? Which would tell me you were in a comfortable setting. Seeking knowledge and discovering new things. There was an entity who you DECIDED you had to battle. Then a fly attacking you. Flies in Xtianity have symbolized demonic/satanic spirits...flies are nasty.
Is it possible that you are coming from another religion or perhaps a belief you held strongly to and through your search for truth you have been or are going through a spiritual battle? Perhaps there is some lingering guilt from leaving your old way of thinking or the way you were raised?
I'm just throwing out food for thought based on what you told of yourself and me interpreting my own dreams.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:49 am

Thank you. I was formerly a christian, then briefly an atheist. Do you think that this has anything to do with my religious past? I have completely rejected christianity and atheism if this helps.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I couldn't say. It just made me think that when I read your dream.
Interpreting your own dreams has a lot to do with self awareness.
I can usually interpret my dreams effectively and it helps me to learn more about myself, but I am also always seeking to understand my world and myself more.
Look online for a dream dictionary. These are not always 100% You also have to think about what things mean to you. Some symbols may not even be in a dream dictionary.
Like Tyrsman said, interpreting someone elses dreams can be difficult.
Ask yourself more questions.
Did I actually do battle with this entity?
What was my familys reaction?
How do I feel about flies?
What do I think of when I see these various symbols?
Why am I stuck on this dream to start with?

If I had to guess (which is all I can do), I would say that yes it has something to do with your former religious views. You are new to Odinism.
I went through a similar transition. I was raised devoutly Christian and then as an adult back in 2011 I decided that is not what I believed and I was lying to myself calling myself a Christian, so I literally looked up to the sky and told the desert god that I was not his follower, I was not a sheep, etc.
I said to "whatever was out there" that I was not turning my back on morals or the spirit world, but that I was searching. In 2012 I came to learn about the old ways and have been learning ever since. I recall that when I was first learning, it made me feel a little guilty, like maybe I really WAS going to hell. haha I know it sounds funny. It lasted about a month and then I felt free.
I have felt free ever since.
Spiritual battles are real.
I just know that if I had dreamed that it would probably be because I had a lot of religious and spiritual things on my mind. To me whenever you dream of battle, or some type of defiance, it is due to a battle you are facing in your waking life. How you handle it in your dream could be a warning to you, an affirmation, or perhaps a lesson.
I don't usually even respond to anyone asking for a dream interpretation because I feel like the individual must learn to do this for themselves. I could be entirely off base, but at least you have some food for thought. Good luck. Read the sagas and the eddas. Learn the names of the runes and what they represent.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Thank you for your time. I have ordered the Eddas online and am going to make the Runes.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]