View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Living by the lunar cycle 

I have always tried to plant/sow various gardens and fished by the moon. Recently, I have learned a lot from an old farmer about taking care of animal tasks by the signs and have been learning more weather lore. In the past year, I have tried to read the runes and make certain life decisions based around the lunar cycle. Do any of you use the lunar cycle purposefully in your life? In what way? Please write about any lunar lore you wish. Hail Mani.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:03 am

BigCountry wrote:
I have always tried to plant/sow various gardens and fished by the moon. Recently, I have learned a lot from an old farmer about taking care of animal tasks by the signs and have been learning more weather lore. In the past year, I have tried to read the runes and make certain life decisions based around the lunar cycle. Do any of you use the lunar cycle purposefully in your life? In what way? Please write about any lunar lore you wish. Hail Mani.

Could you elaborate a bit about reading the runes and the lunar cycle. I'm cutting my first set of runes tonight., so (obviously) I've got a lot to learn. (I already read posts about the need to use wood from a fruit tree, cut and dedicate at night, etc.)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
BigCountry wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit about reading the runes and the lunar cycle. I'm cutting my first set of runes tonight., so (obviously) I've got a lot to learn. (I already read posts about the need to use wood from a fruit tree, cut and dedicate at night, etc.)

As best as I can.
The following is copied and pasted off the internet:
" The time from the New Moon to the First Quarter is good for initiating new plans, making deals, starting projects, looking for a new job, starting a new hobby or interest, meeting someone new. This is is a good time to start new health and beauty treatments. Have your hair cut if you want fast regrowth.

The time from the First Quarter to the Full Moon is an excellent period for promoting yourself, building on your plans, expanding on any ongoing projects. This is an excellent period for looking for things that are lost; you will have a good chance of finding them at this time.

The Full Moon is the time to start concentrating on what you've achieved so far and make sure things stay on track. Take a good look at what is happening and make any adjustments that are necessary. Plan to get rid of the dead wood in your life. This is a time when matters appear to be large than life and feelings are heightened. Decisions tend to be emotionally-based at this time. Have your cut if you want it to grow back thicker.

The time from the Full Moon to the Third Quarter is the time to stocktake, look around you carefully to see what is working out and what is not. It is a good time for studying, carrying out repairs and drawing up new plans. Helathwise, this is the time to have depilatory treatments, have hair dyed, have dental work, begin a health regime. Cut your hair if you want to slow its growth.

From the Third Quarter to the New Moon is the time to leave a situation that is not working out, to get rid of things that aren't working out and to tie up any loose ends. You are getting ready for the next phase of building and creating again. This is the time to analyse any situation you are in and dispose of any elements that are not working. Get rid of clutter in your life and use the time to rest and recuperate." ******

SO for instance if I was going to use divination to seek insight into something new I am doing, it would be around the new moon.
Let's say that I start something new today on this new moon we have at 0130 where I live...I might would read the runes tonight. Then on the first quarter, i might read the runes again to seek more insight into improving what im currently working on...so on and so forth.
This is something that I do, personally. I am not saying it is THE WAY. I don't follow this strictly, it is something that I try to do.

When I was new to the runes, i read them a lot and wrote down my results to remember, look for synchronicities and analyze in other ways, until i discovered that I could trust the runes and my interpretations of them. I use the Younger Futhark because that was the last set to be in use. My runes are cut from an apple tree and each one is stained with my blood for power and linseed oil as a preservative (and because it looks nice). I keep them in a special container in a special place.
I do not ask the runes yes or no questions. Only leading questions. This is what I was taught from an old tradition. I actually tried for a few months to ask yes or no questions, kept track of it and found that it did not work for me. I pull the runes out one by one take into mind both positive and negative aspects of it. I usually pull 3 per question, but sometimes i do 3 rows of 3 to go more in depth.
I have also read the runes quite a bit as a meditative practice (Before I was an Odinist, I used playing cards and played solitaire for the same purpose, but the runes are more productive because I hold meaning and value to them.)
On this new moon, I am giving up something in my life that has been there for more than half of my life. Will I give it up completely or not, i dont know... I will consult with the runes on this new moon and see what comes up.
I hope I didn' type too much and bore you, but after several years of working with the runes and reading lots of books and trying many things, this is what I found to work for me personally. I'm sure my personal practice isn't interesting enough to tell it all to you and as it goes with most things in life, some things you must do for yourself. I hope you are off to a good start. Others may disagree with me.
P.S. you are in a different part of the world than me, but if this is a new moon for you (even if it isnt, it has to be within the first quarter) this is a great time for you to make your first rune set.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Yes, I'm trying to get the set done soon. I made a set before from white pieces from a Chinese 围棋 game(“Go”). That was before I learned that one ishould use wood from a fruit or nut tree.

Actually, the phases of the moon are the same the world over. That's how the Muslims coordinate Ramadan, for example.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:10 am

Oh, and thanks for the long post about lunar cycles!

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:10 am

Excellent post.

Here is my opinion and please excuse my rambling...

Our tribe lived using the sun and the moon as their guide as the world moved through the web of wyrd. Much information was destroyed and purged by the desert cult. They forced a calendar system on us to throw a yoke upon our shoulders to try and subdue our spirit. They have thrown us out of balance.

The Sun is seen as Male.

The Moon is seen as Female.

When the desert people came they destroyed the balance of Male and Female. Women were burned for being special. They lost their position of respect in society. They lost their status of being equals.

The current Gregorian calendar is solar. There is nothing wrong with solar, we need solar.

The Norse/Saxon/Germanic Calendar was lunisolar. It combines the solar with the lunar cycles. The word month is derived from the word moon..... Clues are left everywhere

There is energy all around us. Some of us are able to connect with it better than others. If you are in "balance" its easier to see.
There are a few clues of our ways that other cultures assimilated from us. Do not be afraid to read texts of Asian cultures. They were influenced by us as we traveled far and wide over the last 10000 years or so. They survived the wraith of the desert cult. Again more clues for the seeker.

The most significant archaeology find in world of the 20th century was the Nebra Sky Disk. It contained a way to synchronized the lunar cycle with the solar cycle. It also was a tool to mark the summer and winter solstice. There are other mysteries that haven't been solved on the disk.

I'll leave this post here with this observation

Many years ago I used to work in an environment where I would see many people come in needing help. During the full moon it would be nuts. The place could literally be described as a madhouse during some full moons. I always wondered why. What is causing this?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]