View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
GF wants to go to church... 

So my gf tells me tonight that she wants "us" to find a church to start attending. She was raised baptist and is pretty solid on that. I was raised presbyterian and quit attending 15 years ago. Now, we have a 3 year old son together and have talked in the past about raising his up a "good christian" and lately we both feel he needs more chances to play/ interact with kids his own age, like sunday school.

The rub is, ive told her a couple months ago that ive writen off christianity. She sort of accepted it, certainly not happily, but doesnt berate me atleast. Now the issue arises, do I go back on my earlier convictions that I want my son brought up with "good christian morals"? Do I stomach it and deal every sunday? Should I make this a sticking point and put my foot down for myself n let her figure it out?

Im sure I could deal with it if I had to, and I guess I yet may, but I truely dont want to, knowing and feeling what I do now.

Anybody else have to deal with christianity on such a personal level like this?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 am

Yup, I'm sure everyone here has. I won't date really religious (Christian) girls after the last one. B*tch was crazy, got really drunk and started talking to walls and imaginary people. Had a totally coherent and involved discussion with the walls. Bad part is she just started screaming out of nowhere in the middle of a party, saying "they're here" and "make them go away". It was pretty freaky. Anyway she had a serious problem with my philosophy so that caused friction and it didn't last long.

It really isn't fair for a kid to be presented only one worldview. I was raised under "free-parenting" or whatever it's called.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:42 am

lextech wrote:
Do I stomach it and deal every sunday? Should I make this a sticking point and put my foot down for myself n let her figure it out?

Im sure I could deal with it if I had to, and I guess I yet may, but I truely dont want to, knowing and feeling what I do now.

That is very similar to situation my situation. This year will mark my 25 wedding anniversary. For the first 18 years of my marriage I walked the Christian path and although I made it work, it never clicked. When I finally realized what I was destined to be I had already made too many commitments and taken my family too far extract myself without causing more harm than I was willing to be responsible for.

Obviously everybody has their own opinion but for me the point of no return would be the fact that you and your girlfriend have a child. That is a heavy responsibility and situation requires that you maintain balance. My children were all in their teens when I turned my back on Christ so it was easy for me to decide to suck it up for a few years and then reassess the situation when they have all left the house. You have a long time to go until that point so a different course may be better suited for you.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 am

lextech wrote:

I used to date a girl who was incredibly Christian. She made me attend bible studies weekly, and she attempted to convert many of our friends. When I told her of my beliefs, she was at first very angry (or I suppose worried for my soul) and started her "conversion tactics": make us go to church weekly (or even twice a week), texted me bible verses everyday, and tried to convince me of how I was on a dark path to damnation. Over a while though, she lightened up. She learned about Odinism, and came to accept it, or at least understand it, and stopped trying to make me Christian. Granted, we're broken up now (long story), but those who truly love you will accept you no matter what.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 pm

I agree with Tyrsman, you're in a sticky situation. Since breaking up won't help (and the kid needs two parents) I recommend teaching him the Asatru way as well, on Wed or whenever is convenient. For the sake of giving your child options if anything. A kid needs to be presented with alternatives, to be forced down one path is unfair to him.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:59 am

Knowing how to play along with the Xians is a valuable skill in the modern world. The trick is just not to make the mistake of actually believing their dogma. And I don't just mean heaven and hell. There is also the pacifism. Xians are taught to be perfect doormats, eager to let anyone who wants to walk on them. No revenge (revenge is wrong!!!!) No fighting back unless they go so far as to try to kill you.

And then the Xians wonder why so many of their number live quiet lives of desperation. Or enter abusive relationships and stay in them.

This last issue is the one I would worry about the most. If a kid ends up believing a bunch of starry eyed fairy tales about a savior returning to save humankind, it probably won't hurt him too bad. But that quiet life of desperation is certainly something to protect him from. I'd want to be sure and blunt, alter, or supplant everything they teach about pacifism. No need to go the whole "Jesus is false" route. Just contend a few of the things Jesus teaches.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. It wasnt so bad, onea those new aged churches with lots of jesus rock n hand waving. It was pretty obvious I didnt wanna be there but I delt and my boy had a good time in the child care with the other kids.

My biggest issue thus far is sitting through the sermon and message that is contrary to my beleifs. All the beggin forgiveness n thanking for blessing that are unbestowed, the whole weak pacifist mindset, it kinda offends me a lil bit. Other issue is the additional commitments. Not really a big deal but its already started with the "wanna do this? Or that?" I just said give me some time to adjust.

The gf isnt being pushy or anything, and I dont think this will be a big problem for me, certainly not a break up-able issue. It will be very good for our son to get the play time with the other kids, and he is the top priority. As for balancng what theyll be teaching him, I was thinking maybe when I learn the lore a bit better I can start incorporating some of it into our story time at night to get him exposed to it.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:51 pm

lextech wrote:
My biggest issue thus far is sitting through the sermon and message that is contrary to my beleifs. All the beggin forgiveness n thanking for blessing that are unbestowed, the whole weak pacifist mindset, it kinda offends me a lil bit.

One of the things that I do when I have to attend a Christian service is to take notes and compare their theologies and philosophies to mine. There is a good deal of insight to be found there. The modern music is not too bad if you block out the lyrics and focus on the underlying drum beat. I do that and let my mind wander to a wilder, more natural environment.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 pm
Site Admin

Your girlfriend, like many modern Christians, is engaging in "double think." That is, she is holding two contradictory notions simultaneously.

The Christian Bible, in the Book of Revelations and elsewhere, declares that fornicators will go to the "Lake of Fire." Since you are not married, suggest a religion that does not have a hell.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 am

I'm not sure if this helps but an ex girlfriend of mine is catholic (we're still friends) and on occasion I've been asked to go to church with her and her parents, they have no problem with my religious views all I do is think of it this way...

They're church has no meaning to me, all I'm doing is siting a building around singing people I never actually sang hyms and when they prayed to they're god I just spaced out and contemplated other things...Also if that doesn't work think of it as a good a way to blend in and as Tyrsman said to gain insight into their ways.

Haha on a lighter note the after service coffee wasn't bad either

I should add that I've never been a Christian my parents allowed both my brother and I to choose for our selves and I started exploring the old ways very early so one could say I was born a Odinist

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm

I don't think it is possible to relate well to someone without mutual respect. I can't stand to hang out with my old Xian friends because they always want me to come back to church. I think they genuinely hope I still believe in Jesus, and in a way I have to accept that as a form of friendship because it means they hope I won't be tortured forever in Xian hell.

It would really hurt their feelings if I were to state clearly my belief in pagan gods, such as it is. Religion is kind of a currency of sorts, which they trade in. It would be like saying all their "Jesus dollars" are worthless. They try to do Xian things to earn a sort of standing with Jesus, which then makes them feel accepted by him, and they hope he'll do favors for them in return in this life or the next. Something like that.

If there is to be a middle ground, it has to be one where their Jesus dollars are still valuable. Or at least the effort they went to in order to obtain what they think they have is valuable, and shows worth in the person. Effort applied in any direction is better than malaise.

Hard as it may be to show them respect, it is necessary. When my parents kneel for family prayer, and I am in their home, I kneel with them, although it is clearly understood I am not a participant in the prayer. I only kneel out of respect for them, not their god.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:59 am

The Odin Brotherhood was founded by children who masqueraded as Christians. They were forced to kneel and pray to Yahweh and threatened with torture if they did not comply. They acted-with falsehood on their tongue, yet still held the love for their Elder Kin in their heart. We are unified, today, through these actions.

If you have another
whom you mistrust,
but you want to get something good from him,
you must speak fair to him,
and think deceitful thoughts,
and give deception in return for a lie.

There is more about the one
whom you mistrust
and whose disposition you suspect:
you should laugh with him
and speak other than your thought.
There should be repayment for such gifts.

This could apply to literally anyone...or anyTHING. A priest, Yahweh, or Christianity as a whole.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 am

WhiteWolf wrote:
The Odin Brotherhood was founded by children who masqueraded as Christians. They were forced to kneel and pray to Yahweh and threatened with torture if they did not comply. They acted-with falsehood on their tongue, yet still held the love for their Elder Kin in their heart. We are unified, today, through these actions.

If you have another
whom you mistrust,
but you want to get something good from him,
you must speak fair to him,
and think deceitful thoughts,
and give deception in return for a lie.

There is more about the one
whom you mistrust
and whose disposition you suspect:
you should laugh with him
and speak other than your thought.
There should be repayment for such gifts.

This could apply to literally anyone...or anyTHING. A priest, Yahweh, or Christianity as a whole.

EXCELLENT points WhiteWolf! Thank you for citing the precedence & guidance that is contained in the lore and the teachings of The Brotherhood.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 pm

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Your girlfriend, like many modern Christians, is engaging in "double think." That is, she is holding two contradictory notions simultaneously.

The Christian Bible, in the Book of Revelations and elsewhere, declares that fornicators will go to the "Lake of Fire." Since you are not married, suggest a religion that does not have a hell.

That will be impossible to find, almost every religion has a hell in it. Heck, even Paganism have a hell before Christianity arrived in Europe almost two millennia ago. Hades has everything you expect from Christian version of hell minus the three head dog.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:44 am
Site Admin

Quote:
That will be impossible to find, almost every religion has a hell in it. Heck, even Paganism have a hell before Christianity arrived in Europe almost two millennia ago. Hades has everything you expect from Christian version of hell minus the three head dog.

The only religions with hells are Christianity and Islam.

By hell, I mean an eternal torture camber where sinners are punished for sins.

Our hall of Hela is NOT a hell.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:08 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Quote:

The only religions with hells are Christianity and Islam.

By hell, I mean an eternal torture camber where sinners are punished for sins.

Our hall of Hela is NOT a hell.

Islam and Christianity are not the only religions with hell. Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, all have hell's in it. Native Americas and Chinese religions have their own hells as well.

When people have near death experiences they don't describe hell as a place of torment. Some of them describe hell as a place of suffering while others describe it as a place of pleasure.

Hades is a place of hell whether or not you want to admit it. Hades has everything Christians want in a hell. I wouldn't be surprised if Christians got their idea of hell from Paganism. Almost everything Christians believe come from Pagan mythology. Christians borrow pagan ideas and twist it to make Pagans look bad.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 am

I'ld like to up date this thread a bit, since theres been some developments in this area.

So, I swallowed the boring pill and started attending the new aged church with her to accommodate the relationship. It wasnt too bad. Rock type church music was a new developement I didnt expect. It was boring but I made it through no problems.

So we moved south early in the year, and now attend a Southern Baptist church. Well, this is s little different. Pastor is a funny dude, but throws out condemnations with regularity during sermon. I have thick enough skin so that it doesnt bother me, but not very welcoming. Too much singing and praying for my taste, as well as the assumption that everyone wants to participate at the same level. Umm, excuse me, personal space? New concept to some I guess.

So we get cornered by pastor and obligated to go sit down for a meet n greet. Hes a "good ol boy" so it starts off ok, but then comes around to where it always does with Xtians. "Submit to our beliefs or suffer damnation". He points out that we cant become members since we arent married, which if Fine by me, but stings the GF. Prays for us to find the true path, blah blah blah. Meh, I survived unscathed. No angles decending with firey swords, lol.

But now this puts the bug up the GF's behind that we need to constantly talk about religon. Participate in church function. Wants me to attend study with her. When I dismiss it and state "I dont follow that doctrine" then i have to explain and deffend my beliefs. Not the most pleasent of additions to our otherwise good relationship.

For now, I'll be going to church on sundays, like a good little lamb. I dont participate in anything I feel would compromise my spirituality. But, I do feel theres going to be more frictionat home in the future due to the weekly reminder of my evil Odinism.

One thing Ive pointed out to my girl is that I dont want to be converted, so dont even try or it'll upset me. She says "well, its not trying to convert you, but we are supposed to go out and spread the gospel. If you (me) found a system you believe to be true dont you want to share it with others?" And my response is usually that i cant explain it properly, its s personal journey.

Thanks for being here to heat my rant guys n gals. Hail the gods that despise submissives! Only slaves need to bow or kneel before another. I many never achieve the equal of the gods but when my end is met, but they will know I honored them by living free as they do.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 am

I've had two Christian girlfriends and I successfully converted both of them. One of them is at the point where they directly hate Christianity. Their parents hated me to say the least.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 am

Brother, I respect the fact that you are doing this to stay with the mother of your child. That speaks a lot about a man...
On the other hand, I am single and I needed to read this because it just reminded me why I just need to wait til I find a Odinist woman or one who is not particularly religious, especially not Christian!
I have no advice to offer. Stay strong.
I know many Christians who think I am "like" them because of how I live my life. It shocks them when they find out that I am an evil Odinist. Usually at the end of the day, they do not give me too much grief because they plainly see that I live my life by a code. It is funny because they will try to compare the 9 noble virtues to their 10 commandments and try to justify to THEMSELVES why I am not so bad. In return....I make underhanded comments about Yule trees, Ostara, and THORSDAY! haha. In short, we have found a common ground....that of our folk and living a life of morals and purity. Now the Christians I go around, I guess you could call "folkish", so we have our ancestry in common.
You will figure it out brother. Just stay true to the old ways.
P.S. If you ever find common ground with your girlfriends Christian friends and you can learn to accept each other....you may run into a real A-hole who learns a little bit about our religion and wants to say stuff like how one of our gods is missing an eye or an arm, etc......just remind them that their god was nailed to a cross and ours carries a hammer! It is fun to watch them cringe.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]