View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Blade smithing 

My friend made me a forge out of wheels welded together and is giving me a railroad tie for an anvil.
I am looking forward to making some knives out of old lawn mower blades I have been saving.
If I take the temper out of a piece of metal, does anyone know how long I must leave it in the forge to re-temper the blade once I am done?

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:57 pm

You are most worthy of the effort. Come to me, my smith, that you might be made bold. Tell this traveler where do you wander?

Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
My friend made me a forge out of wheels welded together and is giving me a railroad tie for an anvil.
I am looking forward to making some knives out of old lawn mower blades I have been saving.
If I take the temper out of a piece of metal, does anyone know how long I must leave it in the forge to re-temper the blade once I am done?

YouTube heat treating mower blades.

Tue May 24, 2016 3:05 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:

It's not time, it's the color. Certain metals you seek a certain quality of color of the heated piece on the rod to determine when it is "ready" to work with, hammer, and shape.

I am a glassblower, but in my art we overlap with those who work exclusively with metals. In lampistry, our torches can manipulate metal on a smaller scale and we need to be aware of the proper "timing" as well. We use gold, silver, and platinum gas to "fume" our art and create iridescent colors, and many use various fine metals with glass very carefully as insets or stands- steel is a common substance to encase inside to make a metallic effect with borosilicate glasses in particular. ( I have only learned how to work with borosilicate)

Metals follow the same scale of temperature as stars with red being the lowest temperature and white or blue being practically liquified. All metals used in blacksmithing can be liquified and are usually purified by being melted into small containers into ingots called "pigs" where all impurities rise to the surface and are easily removed by specialized tools.

Then, we melt the "pigs" into a pouring container, heat that, and then pour the molten metal into a mold....it is then allowed to cool and we use a hammer to remove the outside armature left from the casting process, from there, we lower the temperature of the heat source and use the piece attacked to a pole or pincers to reheat up to orange (red/yellow) and only work the metal in short bursts before re-returning it to heat almost endless times until we achieve the desired effect.

Tempering metals with other metals is done during this process sometimes by "folding" a secondary metal into the first via heat and hammering. Even on small scale jewelry or glass work as I do. Sometimes, it creates a stronger, more distinctive result...when melting the metal down into pig form would just separate the metals by density- achieving the opposite of the result desired.

You can't just blend metals by "melting them together"- for instance, Silver has a very low gas point meaning it will vaporize if you attempt to melt it at the same temperature as iron.... however, if you use iron and silver together which each at their own respective melting points and "fold" (and have more knowledge than I do) there is a way to incorporate both into a single, finished item.

Since I work with glass and not metal so much, I do not know much about metal on metal combination results outside where it touches my hobby.

Sadly, my hobby is on hold until I can get my studio set up at this house.

Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Tyrienne, that is very cool. I was looking to apprentice as a glassblower, because of how much I love the artform, but a glassblower filled me in on costs and health risks associated with it and I decided not to pursue that. I just admire it. Sometimes what we think we want is not really what we want.
I am tinkering around with smithing, because I've always been interested in that and I have to do SOMETHING with all my worn out edger and mower blades.
As much as I want to sojourn, I'm exercising patience to find the perfect place and build a ceremonial knife I can be proud of.

Tue May 24, 2016 11:35 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Tyrienne, that is very cool. I was looking to apprentice as a glassblower, because of how much I love the artform, but a glassblower filled me in on costs and health risks associated with it and I decided not to pursue that. I just admire it. Sometimes what we think we want is not really what we want.
I am tinkering around with smithing, because I've always been interested in that and I have to do SOMETHING with all my worn out edger and mower blades.
As much as I want to sojourn, I'm exercising patience to find the perfect place and build a ceremonial knife I can be proud of.

For some reason, this made me feel very proud of you; it fills me with happiness to see someone dedicate so much into even the smallest details!

I sometimes wish we could post pictures on this forum so we can admire the things our Brothers and Sisters create.

As for me, I'm envious of those who will sojourn next month as I will miss this solstice opportunity since I am recovering from foot surgery; I am held together with metal cords at this moment beneath enough bandages to make a full outfit by themselves if I were permitted to unwrap them!

Wed May 25, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks Tyrienne. I don't plan on sojourn in this coming solstice. I am going to the spot where I plan on doing the sojourn and I'm going to camp out and perform the rite of bragi.
I think it will be more fun in the winter. In the service I was stationed in Alaska (Arctic Warriors) for a while where I mastered cold weather survival. I think it will be more fun on top of a mountain in the south as a civilian than in -50 degree weather.

Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Baleyg wrote:
You are most worthy of the effort. Come to me, my smith, that you might be made bold. Tell this traveler where do you wander?

I wander wherever my feet take me. Different states, different countries, different fields, different thoughts. If we knew where we were wandering to, would we still be wandering?
Reading your posts, you may wander more than me.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 pm

I seek that you may make my blade, a carbon steel clay-tempered worthy of your effort, sharper than any blade which you have ever known.

Then I could request, a hammer forged for war but light enough to use by a work-man. This I would wish of steel tempered by your exacting standards. Does this work inspire a name to be given by you?

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:13 am

Are you talking about Mjolnir?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:40 am

For what it´s worth try to stick with older lawn mower blades as the metal will be better quality, other potential sources for material are railroad spikes, old files and rasps (not modern ones as they might only be case hardened), and leaf springs.
The older the better.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:33 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
Are you talking about Mjolnir?

Mjolnir was the name of Thor's hammer. I would expect the craftsman of my hammer to pick a more original name.

We can start with the sharpening, it seems a task too low for a great smith - but the metal is truly fine and requires great skill to sharpen without damaging the high quality display of the blade.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:49 am

I have made a forge out of wheels, pipe, and fan. I have made a knife blank from an edger blade and the handle is being dried from a lightni ng struck hickory.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:30 pm

I wish I had a fraction of your industriousness! It probably reflects a weakness of my character that I seldom go beyond woodwork.
r

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Thank you for the compliment. I just want to learn how to do everything like one of my elders who had passed on.
This knife I am making for a special occasion on a mountain.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:09 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
Thank you for the compliment. I just want to learn how to do everything like one of my elders who had passed on.
This knife I am making for a special occasion on a mountain.

The ingredients did bring to mind a certain occasion known by far too few.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 am

Maybe awareness of bridges gang:

- Homophones, words of similar or same vibration-
- Ailm, the Holy Cross, Nordic Cross flags
- Iss as Ice in Icelandic, Is as the Ice rune of the Younger Futhark, Ice as Ice in English (Chris, Cristo, Christ)
- Mare E, Whole E, Sun E (Most optimistic denotation)
- In consideration of Mjölnir: Environmental Iron, Blood Iron (Hemoglobin), Fe, Faith (in Spanish), Fey, the Faery Triad- In consideration of Mjölnir
- In consideration of Bifröst: the spectrum as white light composed ROYGBIV
- With in relation to Icelandic as með, Soul in relation to Icelandic as sál, Spirit in relation to Icelandic as andi

Great ideas, just passing them along-

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Maharaj,
I can be fairly random, myself. Perhaps I am being dimwitted right now, but what does that have to do with anything? Why did you post this same thing on two different threads?
I'm not saying that your ideas are not interesting, but whats your deal?
Also, after reading some of your posts, I have to ask: What exactly is your belief in the ways of our northern european ancestors? It could be a language barrier, but it seems to me that you think of our Elder Kin as archetypes. Is this correct?

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Swein,
I commend you for your restraint. Every now and then from the shadows comes a bona fide cretin.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:22 pm

M1000,
Thank you, friend.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next