View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Combat 

I am believe it is time that I get strict learning the ways of combat. I do not wish to be a ufc fighter or whatever, I simply wish to learn extremely effective and fast means of unarmed fatal self defense. I have a blade and I intend on working with it as it seems the best stealth and close combat weapon there is.

I do exercise regularly using calisthenics as to stay light and agile while building strength. I am not very good at running/cardio, however.

Now the catch is, I can't really practice this with anyone (certainly not my wife) and I can't afford classes. I have taken karate in the past so I have some background in self defense. How have you learned extreme CQC techniques? I am now reading "Kill or Be Killed" but books I feel may give me a false sense of security and put me in danger given a time I need to take action.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Hail Brother!

Combat is great and a very useful tool. If
I were you I would continue to invest in
yourself with physical conditioning. Also
educate your mind on technique. The secret
to martial arts mastery is to constantly train
and drill your defense and offensive techniques
in such a way that they are automatically at
your disposal without thought.

Bruce Lee talks about this in his book the Tao
of Jeetkunedo. I highly recommend you read
this book.

When it comes to knives do you know how
messy they are? I have been involved in
one way or another in around 5 stabbings.

All it takes is cutting an artery to have your
intended victim die within 5-10 seconds. I
personally do not advocate knife training
methods. I too carry a safety device on me
however you must realize the real secret to
using it is not threatening your attacker with
it or exposing it for intimidation. You just
take care of it and get away fast. People
die from knives. They are no toy.

You can destroy someone with your fists
and not have the murder charge like with
a knife. Trust me on that. I suggest you
invest in a punching bag, or target punching
focus mits, download some jiujutsu videos
from youtube and find a friend you can begin
to practice with.

Your fists can be lethal. Knives = Prison.

Bucky

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 pm

I hear you Bucky, knives would only be a life or death situation or if and when fallout comes and resources are scarce, having a blade would suffice temporarily. I'm no confrontational person which is why I need to learn combat and in regards to hand to hand I want quick, powerful and disabling.

I will check out that book and start watching videos and practicing so I develop strong muscle memory with techniques.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Right on.

I have learned through hardcore life
experiences that blades bring death
very quick. The master does not try
to intimidate or scare someone off
with a blade. In the middle of fists
and kicks the blade penetrates and
the victim assumes he's won as the
fighter with blade runs away.

Victim falls dead after 15 seconds.

It's gruesome. I know this world has
f***ed up people in it and I carry a
safety device as well. I carry the love
and peace that Frejya has taught me
to live by to be my best and to embrace
love and peace.

You can learn alot from the internet
for combat. But constant practice,
and repetition are the keys to real
mastery when things hit the fan your
fists will know what do.

Hail Brother!

Bucky

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:16 am

Red,
I have messed around with Tae Kwan Do, Muy Thai, Modern Army Combatives, Krav Maga, Tai Chi, and Boxing throughout the years. I don't claim any belts, I never did anyone of those for more than a year. Unless you count my Army time where we did MAC and boxing for fun.
When I have money, I am too busy to train at a gym....When I have time to train at a gym, I have no money! HAH!
What I do, is use what training I have, plus watch you tube videos. I train on a heavy bag (my new one is made out of tires u-bolted together and hung from a chain. I also watch you tube videos on knife fighting. I always carry a knife. I train on quick draw and all the slashing and stabbing motions.
I shadow box with my fists as well as my knife.
I also ride around with 2 sets of boxing gloves so that when I run into a friend or acquaintance who is froggy or at a party and someone is froggy, I kindly ask them to throw gloves with me for fun.
Now I haven't been steady lifting weights for the past couple of months because I let myself get off track, but I have been working hard doing construction and tree work....I also had not been in a street fight in about 3 years...and had not done fight training in a gym in about 4 years....With that being said: a couple days ago, an old friend of mine who I had beef with ran up on me with 4 others. Dude is a brown belt in karate, body builder, etc. and pulled a stick out on me. He got his face ****** up and his buddy grabbed him when he pulled out a stick (good for him cause I had a ka-bar in my over-alls.) and I still kept punching and kicking him.
Thankfully we were able to shake hands afterwards and the other 3 did not want to fight me.
Im not the best fighter, I just have a really hard head and a tough body with just enough of a gut to shield me from body blows.
Point being:
1.) If you know how to fight, even if you train alone, you won't forget.
2.) It is possible to lose your violent edge, so I suggest getting on craigslist or talking to people you know and find a sparring partner.
3.) You can teach someone karate, boxing, etc....but you can't teach someone to be a fighter - the fight is inside of you or it is not.
4.) If you are a fighter and you go train at a gym or backyard bareknuckle bruiser matches...you will be unstoppable.

Also when you do heavy bag work, half the time use gloves, the last half of your training session go bareknuckle to toughen your fists.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Learn boxing/ Muay Thai and Kempo Jiu Jitsu, itll get you conditioned as well. with Krav maga its good to learn the techniques but you can't really spar with it, and you need to practice fighting under pressure! doing focus pads and sparring will improve your skill, how you perform under pressure, balance speed etc.

and as far as weapons go anything can be a weapon. best thing when someone else has a knife is keep distance, grab a chair and jabbing em with it will keep them at bay..

as far hitting in the nuts/solar plexus or eye gougeing etc they don't really work, just ****** the attacker off more lol
And you should run, that's the best conditioning in my opinion.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 pm

redskegg wrote:
I am believe it is time that I get strict learning the ways of combat. I do not wish to be a ufc fighter or whatever, I simply wish to learn extremely effective and fast means of unarmed fatal self defense. I have a blade and I intend on working with it as it seems the best stealth and close combat weapon there is.

I do exercise regularly using calisthenics as to stay light and agile while building strength. I am not very good at running/cardio, however.

Now the catch is, I can't really practice this with anyone (certainly not my wife) and I can't afford classes. I have taken karate in the past so I have some background in self defense. How have you learned extreme CQC techniques? I am now reading "Kill or Be Killed" but books I feel may give me a false sense of security and put me in danger given a time I need to take action.

This might not help much- but I learned how to throw knives and still practice with a dart board in my shed. Carrying a gun is not my style (unless hunting deer)...and throwing knives can come sharpened and are legal in most areas without question and easy to conceal.

Proper knife holding technique and throwing can be found all over the internet, and the security of a few knives hidden in easy reach either in the sleeves strapped to each wrist, or on the belt tucked into a pocket... even if someone drew a gun on me, I can draw a knife faster and even if they shoot, they'd have to dodge a blade.

My spouse is a professional martial artist and I see him as my first line of defense, actually. I find since being with him I am not usually "armed" when we are out together...but also, it should be noted we live in an area where we have little reason to leave. When I lived in cities, the knives really helped my confidence and I have never been in combat.

I've won some great money at darts, though as long as I know the board is old and the owner of the board doesn't mind them... nothing impresses more than a blade on-mark.

For the record, I prefer the "spin" technique over "straight". With Spin, you get more force to your throw.

Being the size person I am, those who would attack me would likely be much larger. My battle plan would be to escape unscathed if out in public...and even a knife thrown in panic in the direction of the face and stomach of the attacker would distract them. As does throwing anything into the eyes such as dirt, sand, or even rocks. Anything that you can pick up easily can be used to defend yourself. Look around your room you are in right now and think to yourself always "If this place was assaulted right now- how would I escape with my life and other innocent people near me?"

For instance, if held up in a grocery store, unarmed, I would certainly throw the closest thing available at an assailant. People working there tend to be youths and the elderly, both deserve protection over my own desire to remain unharmed.

Then, think- If you are alone in a combat situation, the best strategy is avoid combat. If combat is unavoidable, find escape.
If you are not alone, quickly assess the competence of those around you to defend themselves and decide your action to stay or flee accordingly.

Defending the home is a conversation Hexenwulf and I haven't needed to have...yet.

Formal training is wonderful, but being without it doesn't make you helpless if you educate yourself on simple things you can do at home.

For the record, a pack of three blades will run you under $20 at a pawn shop. Don't get attached to them, they are called "throwing knives" for a reason. To throw them you have to Let. Them. Go.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 am

...and I just read Bucky's post....

Once again, you and I have another commonality, my friend!

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:23 am

There are some areas in this world where defending yourself is illegal - of any sort. if you hunt your weapon must be transported in a locked box in your vehicle or kept in the off season in a facility away from the home with tight security. It is illegal to carry knives - even pocket knives. If your house is invaded it is illegal to defend yourself. The invader can do with you whatever they wish - they will be punished irrespective. However, a home owner who wounds an invader will be charged with grievious bodily harm or manslaughter - which carries a term of 8 - 15yrs. Such is the way of a 'humane' society ... Stormr

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am

Hail.

Unfortunately Storm is right about defending yourself against home invaders. When I lived in a ghetto complex I defended myself against a home invader who came to rob me. I allegedly according to police, chased him out of the complex with an animal defense tool and a wilderness device in my other hand. I had another tool in my back pocket for close quarters. Luckily everyone in the complex was G-Code and when the cops arrived I was arrested and sat in city cells. My attacker being the gigantic ***** he was called the cops on me as he ran away. However all my neighbors "never saw" the camping tools that were allegedly pulled and gave no witness accounts to the cops. I got released an later and signed my wilderness camping tools over to the pigs as a precaution to make them feel better. I got new wilderness camping tools the next day to replace my old set.

If someone intends on killing you, **** them up. The laws are ** but if you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt your life was at risk you have better chance of having less charges. In my country having an edged safety device is illegal. So I carry one anyways everywhere I go as well as an animal device. Sometimes doing jail or prison time is more valuable then dying. But be warned, I would suggest to only use or pull a safety device if it's life or death and be sure there is no witnesses or very few. After using your safety device get out of the situation fast.

Secondly get rid of your device after use. Don't drop it on the spot, but bring it with you as you escape and hide it where it will never be found.

Of all the advice, my best suggestions are always carry a safety device, train with weights, do cardiovascular exercise, teach your mind but most importantly train your body to react on instinct. Train with active stress and pressure. I've seen blackbelt martial artists freeze like solid ice and get beaten down like a child. Perfect defense and training takes literally thousands of reps. Tens of thousands of repetitions to make your offense/defense instinctual.

Train in both striking and ground fighting. Most importantly always be aware.

Hail!

Bucky

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:48 pm

I made sure my knives are legal where I live. As long as the blade is not a push-button switch blade and the sharpened edge is less than 4 inches, I'm golden.

Each state in the USA has different regulations, and Canada- even more restrictive still.

I noticed after living in Canada for a time I never resumed having my knives on me "always"- now it's only when I need to feel the reassurance which is blessedly seldom since I am most comfortable being an introvert.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 am

As I've said before in other threads, it comes down to several factors.

-Thorough knowledge of the laws of the area in which you live.

-Awareness of the temperament of law enforcement and the court system for your area.

-The right tools and/or techniques for your individual circumstances.

-The proper mindset. Odds are that if you walk around looking for trouble you'll probably find it. On the other hand if you are simply prepared for it and are constantly watching for it, you can almost always avoid it before it happens. You just want to be sure that if you can't avoid it, that you and your loved ones will definitely be the ones that survive it.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:14 am

Tyrsman wrote:
As I've said before in other threads, it comes down to several factors.

-Thorough knowledge of the laws of the area in which you live.

-Awareness of the temperament of law enforcement and the court system for your area.

-The right tools and/or techniques for your individual circumstances.

-The proper mindset. Odds are that if you walk around looking for trouble you'll probably find it. On the other hand if you are simply prepared for it and are constantly watching for it, you can almost always avoid it before it happens. You just want to be sure that if you can't avoid it, that you and your loved ones will definitely be the ones that survive it.

Excellent advice...

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]