View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Mead recipes 

I like to make mead.

I have a recipe that I came up with that people seem to like, both mead drinkers and first timers.

For a 4 gallon batch:
You need an airlock (homemade or store bought)
Stopper
BPA free plastic bucket 5 gallon with lid or glass carboy

Well water
10 lbs local honey
1 Oz Eldorado hops
1 jar of organic maple syrup
3 packets red star dry wHite wine or champagne yeast

Mix ingredients without the yeast in your carboy with your hands until the honey is fully dissolved. I run my hands and fingers along the carboy wall and bottom until I feel no more stickiness.
Then I put the yeast on top and the lid with airlock on the bucket or carboy and wait 30 days.
Then I siphon it off with screendoor type screen on the wet end of the hose and after I have filtered it that way, I filter it through a cotton cloth.

Up until now I have done it that way and sometime I get a little carbonation. I have been informed today to use potassium disulfide to kill the yeast before I bottle. I will be trying that in 30 days.
You can let it ferment for 14 to 60 days. The linge the better. Some people like to use warm water to help dissolve the honey. I dont.
Some people take the lid off and stir it every day. I dont.

The next recipe I will be making tommorrow for the first time and thought I would share it. I cannot verify how good this will be. It is an expirament.

4 gallons well water
Half Oz worm wood (more may be added after 30 days if needed.)
2 pieces lightning struck oak
1 piece lightning struck hickory
(From 3 different trees)
10 lbs honey
A bucket full of pairs (they will be smashed)
3 packets yeast

I would like to carve runes in the pear branch and put the shavings in the must for magical purposes but am leary of making bind runes. What if I make a bad bind rune?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:42 pm

I saw a good one that apparently used ground dried spotted newt tail.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Newts tail....it would be interesting to try, Baleyg.

This wormwood does not smell like it would taste good in wine, from what I read, you only get the euphoric effects if distilled. So what's the point of using it?

The reason I was going to try it with wormwood in the first place is because I read somewhere that wormwood had been used in mead since ancient times. I'm not sure where I read that or how true it is. After smelling it, it doesn't seem like a good addition. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm

I think wormwood would be a good thing if you grew up consuming it. That being said, I don't imagine many ancestors did regularly. By my knowledge, wormwood is a poison and I imagine it would not at all bestow me much euphoria - considering I already know the true source of mana. I am sure there is more, but unsure of it's true purpose. I am not confident wormwood is used in many holy rituals. It's at best, another poison for a Skald.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm

On the topic of Wormwood in Mead: I have learned significantly more since this post about mead making.

The wormwood, as with the hops, is a bittering agent because the honey is so sweet. Obviously, the more honey you use, the more the yeast can eat, causing a higher alcohol content. If you are like me, you want a higher alcohol content but without it tasting like candy...hence the bittering agents.
Now I do make some mighty fine mead with hops, if I do say so myself, but I have been using wormwood in some shamanic practice and have grown rather used to it. Also, it was more commonly used traditionally thousands of years ago than hops were in the North. So I will be using Wormwood on this next batch and will let everyone know how it turned out. Also, I made some wormwood honey tea that i drank while meditating one evening and it was not bad at all.

I am very excited right now. Today I was able to connect with my inner bear, my grandfather, and my great grandfather on the other side of the family, who were bee charmer and bee keeper, respectively.
My friend allowed me to take the honey from one of his hives by myself. I used my ka-bar that I carry every day on my hip and cut the combs out directly into my fermenting bucket. I thanked the bees who did not survive for their sacrifice and the bounty they provided me with and meditated on what it must be like to be a bear and do this for food regularly. I also bit a piece off a comb with baby bees on it. It was very interesting. As a child, I ate a few crickets and worms, but never a bee. I expected the bees to be crunchy. They were mushy. I guess because they were babies and preserved within the honey. I was also surprised because when I chomped down on the bees, I got a mouthful of pollen. My friend, the beekeeper, told me it is called "bee bread" that they fill the babies with to nourish them.

Well, I just wanted to share this with everyone as an educational post. After all, mead is a well known part of our tradition. I highly suggest for everyone to at least TRY making it once in their life. It will help connect you to nature, your ancestors, and the Elder Kin.

P.S. you get bonus barbarian points if you eat a bee in the process!

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 pm

[quote="Baleyg"]I think wormwood would be a good thing if you grew up consuming it. That being said, I don't imagine many ancestors did regularly. By my knowledge, wormwood is a poison and I imagine it would not at all bestow me much euphoria - considering I already know the true source of mana. I am sure there is more, but unsure of it's true purpose. I am not confident wormwood is used in many holy rituals. It's at best, another poison for a Skald.[/]
I have learned that it is only poisonous in extreme quantities. It also takes an extreme amount of thujone extract (the psychoactive chemical contained therein) to cause any sport of hallucination. It's tea can make a very mild sedative, similar to chamomile.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:04 pm

The first batch of mead i posted about with a recipe, I never stopped the fermentation and tasted it 5 months later. It became nasty because of how dry it was.

This time, when I tasted my current batch and it had the sweetness that I wanted, I stopped the fermentation by pouring a little moonshine in it. Pure alcohol kills yeast. I had to play with it to get the right amount.

I also discovered that if you sit your fermenter in the cold for a few days, it helps to clarify it. I was surprised at how much it cleared up after 24 hours in 30 degree weather.

This new batch I made mostly for blots. It has somewhere around 14 lbs of honey, .25 oz of wormwood, cote de blancs yeast, enough water in it to fill a 5 gallon bucket up 90% of the way on top of other ingredients....then at the end, I poured a little less than half a pint of moonshine in it to kill the yeast. It killed some. Then I went back a week later and added a small amount more of moonshine to it, directly on top of where the yeast was working. it finished it off.
It is at 14%. I could have made it stronger, but Im not much of a drinker and made it for rituals.

It's sweet on the tip of your tongue and bitter in the back of your mouth. I like it and it will get better as it ages. I will say this: if you have never messed with wormwood or have strange taste buds like me, you probably wont like wormwood in your mead. It has a very distinct bitter flavor and you can't cover it up.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I also dabble in a bit of mead now and then, I have a chamomile mead, a straight up honey mead, a maple syrup/honey mead, a mango mead and a passion fruit mead all aging currently :) opened a gallon of cherry mead at yule that disappeared very quickly lol

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Skygge wrote:
I also dabble in a bit of mead now and then, I have a chamomile mead, a straight up honey mead, a maple syrup/honey mead, a mango mead and a passion fruit mead all aging currently :) opened a gallon of cherry mead at yule that disappeared very quickly lol

Did your cherry mead turn out red? I want to make some red mead, but Im not a big cherry fan. I was wondering how much of a cherry taste to red color there was.
I was thinking about doing a batch with cranberries instead.

It gets expensive trying different recipes doing 4.5 gallon batches. Maybe I should start trying some 1 gallon batches.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah a deep red, it wasn't too cherry flavour - more of an alcoholic vimto if honest :) I laced it with all spice and star anise and it turned out really nice lol cranberries would be really nice, though would prob be very dry.
Due to space I have to do 1 gallon batches, wifey only lets me have a few on the go at a time lol

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Interesting. I am going to have to try some anise in this wormwood batch i have aging. Any tips on how much anise to put in one gallon?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:19 pm

I only used 2 stars for a couple of weeks, they can be quite strong.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]