View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Fate 

Can the gods change your fate? Or is it truly our own, stamped on us the moment we take our first breath?

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 pm

WinterSpear wrote:
Can the gods change your fate? Or is it truly our own, stamped on us the moment we take our first breath?

Fate is a funny thing, even gods are subject to it! If they interfere with your fate surely they are fated to do so therefore are only agents of fate itself...or is that just a circular argument :/ lol

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Urd, Verdandi, and Skuld do.

The Norns give our people a gift at our births. They also cut the final thread.

Thence come maidens
much knowing
three from the hall
which under that tree stands;
Urd hight the one,
the second Verdandi,
on a tablet they graved,
Skuld the third;
Laws they established,
life allotted
to the sons of men,
destinies pronounced.

There are other factors to your fate such as your Hamingja and your current actions.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Fate is subjective and can be changed. We are responsible for ourselves. Stormr

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:07 am

Been reading through some of the links here on the forum and found this explanation of wyrd that might help :)

http://www.wyrdwords.vispa.com/Odinism/whatwyrd.html

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:23 pm

I am beginning to believe that our fates become so intertwined with one another that some roads we end up on are hard to change. Seems my work with my family leaves me little to follow my own wishes. Sometimes I feel the pull of outside forces soo strong that if I let go of my own path a wider one opens. Hence a better road . My plans and what actually happen often two different roads. No conclusion as yet. I am still alive.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Fate is everything.

My 90 year old grandmother died in a side collision when she drove into oncoming traffic in her small town on roads she knew by heart. A woman who'd been living on her own, totally independent and do quite well for her age.
You'd expect her to fall I'll or go in her sleep, not die in a car accident. We used to joke that she'd outlive us all. When she died I said death was getting back at her for evading him for so long.

What is the fate in this? Her death changed my life dramatically. It was a crushing blow for me, as we were very close, but it had unexpected consequences, that could not have happened had she died under any other circumstances.
She'd been I sired with an accidental death policy that was to the benefit of us grandkids. I was three months pregnant with my one and only child when she died. The money I got from both that accidental death policy and what she had left to me in her will not only got me and my husband out of my student loan debt, but also got us a reliable family car, so the old beater could just be used for Hubby's short drive to work. All this came just in time for the birth of my daughter.
Of course, I would have preferred to keep my debt if it meant keeping my grandmother, but still, at 90, it was only a matter of time.
What else could that be if not fate?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 pm

I view fate as a river. Sometimes it is calm and sometimes tumultuous. It will carry you where it will but the manner in which you navigate it is up to you. You can drift along aimlessly or you can actively paddle and have a say in how you go through the rapids.

Can the Gods change our fate? No, but they can give us the tools to help achieve it.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
I view fate as a river. Sometimes it is calm and sometimes tumultuous. It will carry you where it will but the manner in which you navigate it is up to you. You can drift along aimlessly or you can actively paddle and have a say in how you go through the rapids.

Can the Gods change our fate? No, but they can give us the tools to help achieve it.

I like that, and it is probably a perfect analogy!

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]