View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
How much of you're heritage is Norse/Germanic? 

Locke wrote:
Through my Grandmother, I am descended from the Donald clan. The Grandfather of Donald (the clan founder) was called Somerled, and married a descendent of Harald Hardrada (Ragnhild Olafsdottir). Ragnhild's father was descended from Ímair of Dublin, considered by some to be Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Loðbrok.

Somerled is thought to have possibly 500,000 living descendants, so I'm not that special. But the blood of the Norsemen flows through my veins.

You and me both. This is my direct line too. 500K is very small in the grand scheme of things. Stormr

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 am

Greetings, then, kinsman!

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:04 am

I already posted on here, but on one of my lines, I just found out that they used to own the land that the Berlin zoo sits on. They were a royal family who lost their property because they deposed the new ruler. My great grandmother who I knew, was involved in an international lawsuit to try and get the land back. They failed. Time to build my own small kingdom. Lol

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 am

Spoiler Alert: Im descended from the Orkney clan...... Ork Na Eey , or something like that, i recall it being translated as Ugly pig face clan or something equally derigototy. I hope my family there didnt betray yhe gods when the majority went to christianity but its hard to tell.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Mostly a mix of Pict & Scot with Angle and Norman. My father's line goes back to Scottish Borders (I live on the border between England and Scotland) and then beyond there to the chamberlain of William of Normandy who were descendents of Rollo, the first Duke of Normandy who was descended from the Yngling Line of semi mythical kings variously famous for being tall, brave, terrible or having gastric wind.
But then, we are all kin.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Ricohard wrote:
Mostly a mix of Pict & Scot with Angle and Norman. My father's line goes back to Scottish Borders (I live on the border between England and Scotland) and then beyond there to the chamberlain of William of Normandy who were descendents of Rollo, the first Duke of Normandy who was descended from the Yngling Line of semi mythical kings variously famous for being tall, brave, terrible or having gastric wind.
But then, we are all kin.

My fathers line are also from the Borders - one of the more famous Revier families. I can trace them back to 1066 but not before. I had an ancestor hung for treason - supporting the first Jacobite uprising and another caught for being a part of the gunpowder plot. As least I know where a part of my personality stems from! My mothers line I trace back to around 840. They are highland folk / Viking and also of the Pict - a mixed bag but all fiercely independent and not great at being controlled.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 pm

For me, the call came before I learned anything about my European heritage. After some years, while working on a project in my department on identity and ethnicity, I was surprised to discover that I had any "Norse-like DNA", let alone a significant amount, with a direct maternal line connecting me to the North. Previously I had always assumed my European heritage was primarily Brittonic but felt like something did not fit. Either way, I felt like the Lore is equally true despite who my parents are (and far more thoroughly maintained than in other European traditions) and sought and found peace with the Aesir and Vanir.

The test results put me at about 3/4 well-blended Gaelic-ish & Norse-ish with a high concentration of DNA similarities in and around Glasgow and the Orkney Islands.
r

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:31 pm

[LoneWolf] wrote:
Hi all. I've done a lot of reading about Odinism/Asatru, and how some people feel only Norse/Germanic people should practice. Now I'm actually only 25% Germanic (specifically Austrian) the other 75% is Lithuanian. And while Lithuania has its own form of paganism, it is my Germanic side that I feel most drawn to, so I practice Odisism. Sometimes I feel that maybe I'm not "Germanic enough". It sounds kind of silly now that I think of it.

I'm just wondering, what is everyone's heritage and do you feel that Norse/Germanic heritage is a prerequisite for Odinism? If so, how much?

Thanks friends.

To my understanding, Lithuanians are closely related to the Scandinavians. I've known quite a few, actually, and every single one had blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, and very Nordic features. It was explained to me that their conversion to Christianity came rather late in the game in Europe, allowing them to maintain a little more of their former traditions longer. For what it's worth, regardless of what they may call their faith, or their connections to the Slavic languages (and keep in mind the Slavs, ie. slaves, were traded by the Scandinavians), the Lithuanians have a link to the vikings, genetically, so if you were basing your folkish beliefs upon ethnic connections, I think it would be fair to feel a connection to odinism.
Not saying it's a prerequisite, but nothing wrong with answering the call of ones ancestors.

When I was you're, I don't understand much of my heritage, being raised in the Christian mindset. I equated my Scottish paternal ancestry, on my paternal grandfather's side as the freedom loving ancestors, and felt drawn to my Gaelic roots, as I still do. But over the years, as my understanding of European cultures grew, I have come to value my grandmother's English ancestry. A better way of putting that is her Anglo Saxon ancestry. I haven't done any research into her maiden name, all the ancestral history was done on my grandfather's side, but it is clear that outwardly, all of us descended from my grandmothers blood line bear the characteristics of the Saxons. We are light haired, blue or green eyes, fair skin, but not prone to sunburn. It's funny, but my siblings and I all take after our paternal side.
It would be nice to research my grandmother's family history, but regardless of what mix she hailed from, there is certainly some Saxon blood in my family.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09 am

My father is Swiss-descendant and my mother Iberian-descendant

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:54 am

runewolf wrote:
My father is Swiss-descendant and my mother Iberian-descendant

My grandparents were all from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire, in what's now Slovakia. My last name is Danish, but all grandparents were Slovak. On the other hand, having had relatives that fought for the Habsburgs in the first war, as German allies in the Second, I tend to identify with that people.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am

All I know are my DNA results; initially I didn't believe the results so I did my test with 2 separate testing companies. My family's "name", or my families "history", I didn't trust, because people tend to be apart of whatever culture they want to be apart of; and when it comes to family names, I trust that even less, since slaves, indentured servants, and for reasons of immigration; many of our ancestors changed their names because they had to, were forced to, or out of convienance.......Hence the desire to run my DNA to know for sure.

My first test was by Ancestry.com; their results were in 2015:

Scandinavia 52% (with a focus on Norway and Denmark)
Eastern Europe 18% (with a focus on Ukraine and eastern Russia)
Irish/Scotland/Wales 11% (with a focus on Scotland)
Great Britain 9% (no pinpointed focus)
Iberian Peninsula 7% (with a focus on Spain)
Western Europe 2% (with a focus on France)
Southern Europe 1% or less (with a focus on Italy)

In early 2017 I did the 23andMe (a separate company) test:

The results were so uncanny in their similarity, that I am now a firm believer in DNA testing.

Regardless though; the bottom line is in my opinion, is that the Gods can call any of this planets children, it makes no difference what your DNA says, what your grandfather from the "old country" tells you, or the fact that your great great great grandma was a "Cherokee princess" LOL.

It matters only that the Gods call....and that you answer their call!!!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4